Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 23:58   #16

There are zillions of single engined commercial power boats in the world and in my experience with them they don't fret about lee shores in any worrying way at all during normal passages as some amateur pleasure sail boat sailors do.

Of course if one doesn't have an engine and the boat is not handy to windward then one might feel differently.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:29   #17
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
I am new at sailing and I ifound Mark's question very valuable to me

Thanks aussie

JC
Old 10-02-2009, 13:53   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
There are zillions of single engined commercial power boats in the world and in my experience with them they don't fret about lee shores in any worrying way at all during normal passages as some amateur pleasure sail boat sailors do.
I hadn't thought of it that way

Basically all those normal size fishing trawlers etc are single engined arn't they?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 14:02   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Air View Post
I am new at sailing and I ifound Mark's question very valuable to me
Thanks JC. The more I think I know the more I find I don't. Cruising can be 'lonely' in that with racing you can see how the other boats do things and ask them after the race over a beer or 2. That can't be done cruising.

Mark

Old 10-02-2009, 15:02   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Hence a Cruisers Forum
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 16:09   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Basically all those normal size fishing trawlers etc are single engined arn't they?
Yes, it is most unusual for them to have more than one engine.

I also had not thought of it that way until I had more to do with such boats. That was even though when my family had power boats I never thought of lee shores being a particular problem under normal circumstances when in them but at the same time in a sail boat I thought lee shores were a problem - so go figure about how confused I can be .

One sees 40 foot or so lobster boats in among the rocks on lee shores here while working their pots and they don't seem to have any particular worries nor come to harm (but they have good local knowledge as to where the hidden rocks are, of course).
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 14:38   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Going north...

Mark,

I don't want to come across as flippant, but what are you worrying about? The Australian charts of the east coast are damn good, and there is sufficient traffic that anomalies are reported quickly.

We've made that migration a good many times now, and routinely (when headed north into the current) stay just outside the breaker line in daylight, and around the 20 metre contour at night. When in the area of known hazards, of course, we take whatever actions are appropriate to avoid getting very close to them. The above rules are abandonded in heavy wx conditions.

If you are concerned about getting dismasted, etc, under normal sailing conditions, perhaps you should have a word with your rigger. If the dice roll really badly, and you loose both sail and engine power at the same time, in the 10-20 metre depths described, there is always the anchor.

You might want to read Alan Lucas's advice about making the northbound trip up the east coast. Alan is about as conservative as they come, and his advice is worth considering.

Hope that you are enjoying your cruise!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Gladstone Qld Oz
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 15:34   #23

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
The query about offing was generic, even if the thread has now shifted to Australia. There is, of course, no one answer. The thread identifies variables to consider in assessing what lies ahead, e.g. (with a couple of extras thrown in):

Nature of vessel
Night vs. day (& visibility more generally)
Survey accuracy (& possibly datum or transcription errors)
Location(s) & nature of hazards (some may push you inshore)
Wind conditions, now & forecast
Traffic, commercial & recreational
Currents & current related hazards
Navigational assets (e.g. charts; guides, GPS; sonar; radar; waypoints; transits)Response time, to cope with unexpected events
Confidence in boat, situation & own ability to handle incidents
Pilotage skills, & willingness to use them (increase offing if you want an 'easy day')

All that said, in a well mapped area with deepwater inshore, benign weather (<=25 kts) & few hazards on my foreward track, I am happy a mile or so offshore. Even when unfamilar with an area, armed with good charts, a cruising guide, clear water, polaroids, etc, I go through gaps half a mile (or less) wide to save a two hour detour ... with advance preparation
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 17:40   #24

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
There is a variable for every boat, every day, every season and every coast line. It depends on the gear on board as well. Having a good parachute sea anchor makes all the difference.

I imagine that you are on the Barrier Reef by now and it's all a mute point. Day sailing on the Reef is a must and a joy. There are so many places to put in for the night. You will often be within 1/2 mile of shore or some island for a lot of that trip.

When you get up to the Northern Territory, it will be a lot of short sails with many close encounters with land. Whatever you do, don't miss the "Whole in the Wall". It's a trip. So many islands....so many places to explore and so many safe havens. Not much need to stay off-shore.

Sure wish I was there with ya.......I'd even keep my mouth shut.....
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 23:05   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger.waite View Post
The thread identifies variables to consider in assessing what lies ahead, e.g. (with a couple of extras thrown in):

... I am happy a mile or so offshore.
Thanks Roger, thats an excellent summation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
Sure wish I was there with ya.......I'd even keep my mouth shut.....
No you wouldn't! Your mouth would be wide open pouring my beer down your hatch!
But it would be worth a six-pack or two to have a chat

Mark

Old 12-02-2009, 04:30   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See also the previous thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ore-20282.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:44   #27

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Thanks Roger, thats an excellent summation

No you wouldn't! Your mouth would be wide open pouring my beer down your hatch!
But it would be worth a six-pack or two to have a chat

Mark
You're in Australia and still buying "6-paks"

Man........have someone introduce you to "Cooper" beer kits. We used to make 30 liters of beer at a time. The beer was 500% better than the stuff you buy in the store (Fosters.....yuk.......VB......yuker....) for a fraction of the price. We bottle the beer in screw-top soda bottles........OMG..... what's happening to cruising in the land of OZ???????

Mark.............please.........tell me it isn't true.......:cubalibre
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 13:22   #28

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
From my own experience, the two times I knew I'd blundered in getting too close, were 1) off Oregon where the fog lifted and I saw people on the beach looking back at me, and 2) looking through some haze to see the coast of Somalia.

It is key to know what your boat will do under sail or motor in different conditions.

Looking back, the real blunder was how fast I went over the top of Australia. I'll just have to go back and do it right next time. I can remember smelling the eucalyptus trees while under sail though.
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 15:03   #29

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
In the context of bumping into the bottom, I recall Mackay VMR saying that the prudent cruiser should stay at least 500 metres off any shoreline in the region (unless anchoring or docking I assume).

As an aside, the book "Cruising the Curtis Coast" is a fantastic read for anyone travelling the area it covers which is Bundaberg to Mackay. Not sure if it is still in print, but it puts a lot of emphasis into getting into the mangrove creeks and the myriad of islands that proliferate in the region. As a consequence it details the in-shore and island reefs and shoals and provides compass bearing routes around and between them.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote