Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2018, 04:09   #46

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: How Far Have You Sailed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I saw it as an opportunity for local sailors to recognize, just for themselves, that they may have sailed farther than they realize.

I guess we fall into that category, except for perhaps the word "sailed."

We've got about 9200 NM on this boat, dunno how many we put on previous two boats... and most of that is local. Only a few trips through the C&D to the ocean, only a couple ICW trips... most of the rest here in the upper Chesapeake.

-Chris
Old 24-06-2018, 05:36   #47

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I used to track my miles early in my sailing career/life, just like I used to log my dives. In both cases I lost interest in tracking them after buildup a lot. I ran across my old SCUBA log books a while back with about 500 dives in them, but for sailing I would have to go back and guestimate. I do have documented "days" at sea for my USCG 100 ton near coastal liscence. Thats 720 days (360 of that must be near coastal/offshore), but a lot of my sea time is undocumented too...so hell if I know.

(wow, took me a whole paragraph to get there...time for my second cup of coffee!)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 07:18   #48

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
How Far Have You Sailed?

I log just about everything since I was an Air Force Pilot almost 50 year’s ago. I have been sailing 20 years and on all boats have sailed 12,087 NM, 13,908 SM.

On Persistence, my second sailboat, a 2003 Hunter 356, I have logged 8,177 NM, 9,459 NM, anchored 242 times and have 675.75 night hours in 1112 days onboard. We are in our 16th year this season. Most of this has been on Kentucky Lake, but we did spend one winter traveling from Kentucky Lake to SW Florida via the Tenn-Tom waterway to Mobile, then part GICW, part Gulf crossing and sailing in SW Florida and returning to Kentucky Lake in the spring.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 08:20   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I started sailing about 10 years ago. I worked for most of that time and retired January of 2916. I’ve roughly 20,000 miles by now. Several hundred anchorings. Not a lot of day sailing, I like to go places. Longest solo was 700 miles.

I’ve been from DELAWARE to southern Labrador and back, through the Erie and St Lawarence and the East Coast Route. I’ve been from Delaware to Grenada, one way.

I consider myself a piker, a greenhorn.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 18:09   #50

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
I didn't know it was a competition. Gee, sailboat people are competitive.
Yes they are (IMO), just imagine 2 sailing boats going in the same direction. I think that none of the boats will go deliberately slower, to let the other one arrive first.

BTW, I am not a racer, and my boat is not fast.

Regarding the miles sailed or times anchored, I agree with the others that say that the conditions count more than the miles, and those doing frequent daysails, will be very good in docking their boats!
Old 25-06-2018, 05:43   #51
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I have found that in life, as with sailing, very few people are going in my direction. I'm almost always going my own way.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 10:45   #52

Boat: Lagoon 400

How about (estimated) 60,000 nm on beach catamaran dinghy? If you wonder, please note that I live in a country that allows year round sailing, I sailed for around 30 years almost every weekend and the cat does easily 12-18 kn...
I do not have an estimate of yacht miles. Current boat sailed thousands of miles with log paddle fouled and the counter is not showing anything relevant. Roughly thinking, 40 years on boats, around 30 only summers' short outings (2-4 weeks) + 10 years of full summer cruises. No idea what it amounts to.
But, as someone asked here:
Once hit a rock that resulted in water ingress.
Once hit a rock with rudder damage.
Twice on a sand reef.
Twice anchor dragged.
Many times released crossed anchor chains.
Once boat (of a friend) broke, drowned and I have spent some time in liferaft.
Many more adventures of various severity...
Old 26-07-2018, 16:13   #53

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

It’s like others hinted at. What’s sailing? The first 100 miles on my first boat were the most intense. My last 10.000 miles pale in comparison. Crossing oceans? Kind of zen. But you hit the autopilot and could nap through the thing except for maybe two or three vessels that you need to avoid over a couple of weeks and a whopping two changes in course for the weather. Ocean crossings don’t count.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail