Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2018, 18:05   #1

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft
How do you handle anchor chain to avoid scratching the deck?

If I am moving chain in and out of a locker to clean it, clean the locker or do other chain-related tasks, how can I avoid scratching up the deck of the boat?
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 18:17   #2

Re: How do you handle anchor chain to avoid scratching the deck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7 View Post
If I am moving chain in and out of a locker to clean it, clean the locker or do other chain-related tasks, how can I avoid scratching up the deck of the boat?
If I need to get in the locker for any reason, I dump the chain overboard.

I don't "clean the chain" other than rinse it when it comes on board.

If you need to put it on deck, you need to put something under it to keep the deck Bristol.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 18:33   #3

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Put something on the deck, like a moving blanket.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 19:04   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Buckets work for small amounts.

On a multihull you lay it out on the tramp.
Old 21-06-2018, 19:08   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Lay it out on the bottom then as you retrieve it, hose it off.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 19:55   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We bonded an s/s strip for the chain to chafe on between the windlasss and the bow roller. You could also raise the windlass a bit, if your cause of chafe is the same as ours, the chain bouncing on the deck on its way over to the roller.

If you just want to load the chain onto the deck, an old paint tarp would do, under it, or a series of heavy duty buckets.

When we go to clean the chain locker, we do like the other guys, and dump it off the bow, clean the locker, and wash the chain as it comes back aboard. If were in a marina, we flake it on the dock, and re-do the marks if they need it, as part of the same job.

Ann
Old 22-06-2018, 11:26   #7

We put an area of DRI DECK on the foredeck under the route between the bow roller and the windlass. We tie it to the bow pulpit on the bow end and remains permanently in place between the owner sprit and the toe rail. It has remained in place for years.
freelancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 12:23   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

Now that's something I never thought about.

Scratches on my deck(s) from the anchor chain

I sort of like hearing the chain (my first on an anchor longer than 5') slam onto the deck as I'm pulling it in.

Last time I sailed two weeks ago, I had to sail off anchor a few times (due to an engine problem) so not only did the chain hit the deck rather hard but so did the anchor since I had to hurry back to the cockpit to steer

Even so I almost ran aground on one occasion and on another almost hit a sunken ship!

Usually after I get under way, I'll go forward and tie the anchor to the center cleat so it won't go overboard if I'm heeled over to far. The chain will stop sliding at the toe rail

After I get back, I'll put the anchor back on the bowsprit (and tie it off) and stow the rode and chain
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 13:02   #9

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

If you MUST bring it up on deck, I do not let it sit on my paintwork, I put it into half of a wooden barrel, which itself sits on a heavy rubber mat cut from old conveyor belting ex quarry. REALLY useful stuff for all sorts of things where extreme padding is needed. The wooden barrels make excellent chain receptors and can usually be bought at gardening shops--they are ex-wine industry. You have to cut them in half yourself. I also used one as a receptor in a chain locker. You drill a couple of drain holes around the rim of the base. I just fitted it into place using wooden wedges.

Have you thought about fitting a pressure pump to hose down the chain as it comes aboard and before it disappears into the hawse? Mine I think was a Shurflo or something similar--and I never had any problems with it. It has a pressure switch in it, and the pump only runs when the pressure drops, so it can not burn out when the nozzle is turned off. It puts out about 50 psi--and knocks most if not all of the mud off the chain. You can use fresh or salt water--obviously fresh is better, but usually at a premium on a cruising yacht.

I had a self-coiling plastic spring-hose, bought cheaply at a gardening shop, and it sat in a deck locker with a drain to the chain locker. I just pulled it up as required, and the deck wash pump switched on with the same master switch that isolated the windlass motor. (If you do not isolate the windlass when not in use, the negative of the battery often remains connected, and this can cause your chain to become an anode. Bye bye galvanising, especially when at anchor.)
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 13:54   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

I've had to bring mine up on deck a couple of times for few maintenance tasks down in the locker. I just piled it up on a tarp, in a few heaps around the hawsepipe. 300' of 5/16". Tedious but no big deal.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 22:21   #11

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
If I need to get in the locker for any reason, I dump the chain overboard.

I don't "clean the chain" other than rinse it when it comes on board.

If you need to put it on deck, you need to put something under it to keep the deck Bristol.
What? I have dragged the full length of chain up and down my decks and never noticed any problem, no marks, scuffs or scratches in the non-skid gel coat. What kind of deck will be a problem with this?

Seems like some posters have mentioned dirt on the chain. Actually I don't tolerate any mud on the chain as I lower it into the locker. Have a high pressure washdown pump forward and get just about any mud off it before I allow it to go into the locker.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 04:13   #12

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
What? I have dragged the full length of chain up and down my decks and never noticed any problem, no marks, scuffs or scratches in the non-skid gel coat. What kind of deck will be a problem with this?

Seems like some posters have mentioned dirt on the chain. Actually I don't tolerate any mud on the chain as I lower it into the locker. Have a high pressure washdown pump forward and get just about any mud off it before I allow it to go into the locker.
This is what I was sort of getting at above. Even though I drop my chain and anchor on the deck when I'm pulling it in, there are no real scratches from that on my boat's 44 year old non-skid deck, but it is starting to stain a bit from the marshy type black, sticky mud we have here.

This is part of the reason that after use I leave the chain, anchor, and much of the rode on deck because sometimes there's lots of this sticky mud on the lower parts especially if it's really windy and I've been anchored for a few tide changes where the anchor really digs in.

I do tie off the anchor to the center cleat forward though so it won't go overboard if I'm way heeled over. Sometimes I don't tie it off until after I'm underway depending on how close to an obstacle or lee shore I'm anchored

I know I can wash it off with salt water but many times I'm in a hurry to leave the anchorage as a single hander with a drifting boat. And as a weekend warrior (vacation) sailor, I'm not out there but a few days.

Cleanup (drying and inspection) occurs at the dock over the next week along with getting the rest of the boat straightened up for my next sail
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, deck