Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 11:14   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hailey, ID
Boat: Gulf 32 & Nimble 20
Posts: 348
Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

Have tried to search this one through, have found plenty of ideas about how to hoist dinghy onto foredeck using spinnaker halyard / jib halyard... BUT... I don't have either available to me (no spinnaker halyard, furling jib)... I guess I could lower the jib every time I want to hoist the dink, but wondering if anyone has used main halyard to do so... do you just hoist somewhere on the aft part of the boat then walk the dinghy forward?

Any insight appreciated... this is a Walker Bay 285ST, weighs about 120lbs... not sure it's long term solution but it's what I have for now.

Thanks in advance,

Bass
__________________

__________________
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:17   #2
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,305
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
furling jib)... I guess I could lower the jib every time I want to hoist the dink, but wondering if anyone has used main halyard to do so... do you just hoist somewhere on the aft part of the boat then walk the dinghy forward?
yes that's it
__________________

__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:23   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hailey, ID
Boat: Gulf 32 & Nimble 20
Posts: 348
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

How far out to the side of the mast do you figure it's safe to go without putting too much side load on the sheave? Do I need to be loading this thing almost into the cockpit then going forward with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
yes that's it
__________________
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:34   #4
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,305
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

Well it's going to be half the boats width away from the mast no matter what. I have a lot bigger boat than you, but if I was worried about the weight of a dinghy being too much for my main halyard/mast I wouldn't sail it.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:41   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charleston SC
Boat: 1979 Pearson 323
Posts: 72
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
if I was worried about the weight of a dinghy being too much for my main halyard/mast I wouldn't sail it.
This. I'd imagine you could hook your dinghy to the halyard and start swinging it around the mast and it would be okay. And if it's not you have a problem.
__________________
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:46   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Posts: 1,853
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

Bassears, which boat are you considering lifting the dinghy onto? I'm assuming it is the heavier Gulf. Your mainsail halyard side loads the sheave when you are sailing on a reach. I wouldn't worry about it. You should be fine using the main halyard to hoist the dinghy.


S/V B'Shert
__________________
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 12:14   #7
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Posts: 3,940
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

I would be fine using the main halyard, but I would probably also seriously consider using a block and tackle from a bail on the boom instead of the halyard.
__________________
Greg

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 12:16   #8
Registered User
 
xeon_tsd's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: "Out There" (mailing Austin TX)
Boat: Lafitte 44
Posts: 419
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

I use my spinnaker halyard and run it through my windlass for push button ease.
__________________
hopefully I will keep this updated.... http://svchapaai.com
xeon_tsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 12:16   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 429
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
Have tried to search this one through, have found plenty of ideas about how to hoist dinghy onto foredeck using spinnaker halyard / jib halyard... BUT... I don't have either available to me (no spinnaker halyard, furling jib)... I guess I could lower the jib every time I want to hoist the dink, but wondering if anyone has used main halyard to do so... do you just hoist somewhere on the aft part of the boat then walk the dinghy forward?

Any insight appreciated... this is a Walker Bay 285ST, weighs about 120lbs... not sure it's long term solution but it's what I have for now.

Thanks in advance,

Bass
120lbs is quite a lot to lift and when the main halyard swings forward of the mast the top sheave might chafe.

Maybe haul a purchase and a downhaul aloft & then tie off the main halyard and the downhaul on deck. Then you don't have to use a mast winch and you can guide the dinghy while you haul on the purchase from forward?

I'm always singlehanded... I've been using the spinnaker halyard and a boathook tied to a forward stanchion to keep the dinghy off the topsides.

Been meaning to make a fairlead for the end of the boathook but I might just rig a purchase instead now
__________________
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 12:20   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hailey, ID
Boat: Gulf 32 & Nimble 20
Posts: 348
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

Not worried about absolute weight, know that pressure from sailing is much higher, just want to be sure I don't weight anything in a direction it's not expecting / not intended for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well it's going to be half the boats width away from the mast no matter what. I have a lot bigger boat than you, but if I was worried about the weight of a dinghy being too much for my main halyard/mast I wouldn't sail it.
__________________
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 12:21   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hailey, ID
Boat: Gulf 32 & Nimble 20
Posts: 348
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

Umm, yeah, should have made that clear, it's the Gulf not the Nimble... only dinghy that's fitting on the foredeck of the Nimble would come from Kmart

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Bassears, which boat are you considering lifting the dinghy onto? I'm assuming it is the heavier Gulf. Your mainsail halyard side loads the sheave when you are sailing on a reach. I wouldn't worry about it. You should be fine using the main halyard to hoist the dinghy.

S/V B'Shert
__________________
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 15:03   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,440
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Bassears, which boat are you considering lifting the dinghy onto? I'm assuming it is the heavier Gulf. Your mainsail halyard side loads the sheave when you are sailing on a reach. I wouldn't worry about it. You should be fine using the main halyard to hoist the dinghy.


S/V B'Shert
While I don't agree that the halyard gets side loads when reaching (the headboard/slugs/slides/bolt rope take those loads), the amount of side loading from swinging the dinghy around the spreaders shouldn't cause any problems at all. That gear is pretty robust!

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 15:17   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,002
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

Store the dinghy on the foredeck. Hoist it up using the spinnaker pole. Have a four part tackle tied to the pole. Lift the dinghy and swing the pole out to drop it over the side. Reverse the procedure to bring it back aboard. Have a three part sling on the dinghy to hoist it level. Takes very little time and effort to attach the pole to the mast and support with the pole lift.

Tried using the spinnaker halyard but having no mechanical advantage made it no fun and it banged against the hull while hoisting.
__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 15:50   #14
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,440
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Store the dinghy on the foredeck. Hoist it up using the spinnaker pole. Have a four part tackle tied to the pole. Lift the dinghy and swing the pole out to drop it over the side. Reverse the procedure to bring it back aboard. Have a three part sling on the dinghy to hoist it level. Takes very little time and effort to attach the pole to the mast and support with the pole lift.

Tried using the spinnaker halyard but having no mechanical advantage made it no fun and it banged against the hull while hoisting.
If he does not have a spinnaker halyard, it is unlikely that he has a pole lift rigged, Peter!

Or even a pole, perhaps...

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 17:07   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hailey, ID
Boat: Gulf 32 & Nimble 20
Posts: 348
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

Should have mentioned that, I do have a pole and a tang on the mast for it for poling out the jib, but not vertical control lines for the pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If he does not have a spinnaker halyard, it is unlikely that he has a pole lift rigged, Peter!

Or even a pole, perhaps...

Jim
__________________

__________________
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
deck, dinghy, halyard

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Main halyard stbd, jib halyard port??"? skipmac Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 39 30-10-2017 18:47
New used sailboat. 3 sail lines main sail halyard, jib halyard and ??? Mrdouble Monohull Sailboats 10 21-09-2015 14:01
Hoisting Dinghy BurningDaylight Monohull Sailboats 5 14-05-2015 19:28
Leading Main Halyard Below Deck crazyoldboatguy Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 28 16-07-2014 16:35
Mast Hoisting 101 kcmarcet General Sailing Forum 15 03-09-2009 16:17



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.