Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-04-2013, 20:49   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Re: Hit by the Custom & Border Control Boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
I am just curious why you didn't deploy fenders... I have been boarded several times over the years and no one ever objected to me placing fenders out before they pulled along side?
Again, normally the USCG or HLS doesn't want you to go below once they have hailed you. So unless your fenders are up on deck it could present a problem. Then it's time to insist they deploy fenders.

With the instances I've had they've just motored along side while they ask questions. And then sped off since all was to their satisfaction.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 20:55   #32
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
I am just curious why you didn't deploy fenders... I have been boarded several times over the years and no one ever objected to me placing fenders out before they pulled along side?

Not speaking for the OP but only for myself (I said this before, too) -- I don't have fenders big enough for those circumstances. If I need Boat US, they bring their own big fenders. I think boat-based government officals should do. They want to board; it is their responsibility to be prepared for the task IMO.

Old 20-04-2013, 20:57   #33
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Again, normally the USCG or HLS doesn't want you to go below once they have hailed you. So unless your fenders are up on deck it could present a problem. Then it's time to insist they deploy fenders.

With the instances I've had they've just motored along side while they ask questions. And then sped off since all was to their satisfaction.

That's how it played out the only time the Coast Guard stopped me. We motored parallel and talked back and forth until they were satisfied, and then they moved away.
Old 25-04-2013, 20:04   #34

Boat: J/36

[QUOTE= . They want to board; it is their responsibility to be prepared for the task IMO.[/QUOTE]

They ARE prepared for the task. Their steel-hulled 600hp monster doesn't need any fenders, and their hard-soled shoes grip just fine on any deck.

In sailing class, we learned about how a dinghy was apparently assisted with a tow from the USCG. The dinghy crew tied the towline around the most solid thing aboard- their mast - with a bowline, as they had been taught by their instructors. The CG proceeded to begin the tow at 15 knots, and ripped the mast out of the boat.

Since then I've been wary, though I have needed their help in New York harbor. Swirling currents between tides wrapped our anchor line around the keel, and none of our maneuvering would free it. A gentle push on our quarter against the current from a passing USCG RIB turned us and freed the line to lead to the bow. It helps if it's not too rough, you can pick your helper, and everyone knows what they're doing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: