Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2018, 00:02   #106

Re: Hit by small motor boat.

The U.S. provides around $50 billion per year in foreign aid. When it comes to Bequia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. State Dept.
The U.S. Peace Corps has volunteers in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, who work in education. The U.S. military provides assistance through training, exercises, and construction and humanitarian civic action projects. The United States provides training, equipment, and material to Vincentian security forces, including through the Caribbean Basin Security Initiative.

... but all some people remember are the loudmouth tourists on the bus and the "jerk" who wanted compensation for the damage to his boat. Oh, well ...
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 01:44   #107

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
The U.S. provides around $50 billion per year in foreign aid. When it comes to Bequia:

... but all some people remember are the loudmouth tourists on the bus and the "jerk" who wanted compensation for the damage to his boat. Oh, well ...
I dips me lid to you sir.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 01:50   #108

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I've seen a lot of "karma" on this thread, but I'm of a different view... let me explain: A few months ago, my old outboard died on anchor, and I called a water taxi (Italy). It was off season so not much running, but finally got this old guy to come out and get me. Came out in a 20 foot steel whaler thingy, and immediately drove into my aluminum boarding ladder, despite having a pad of fenders out invitingly placed well ahead of it. Bent it significantly, and since it functions as a passerelle also on this old Amel, it made my life pretty hard for a minute. Paid 300 euros to someone else to have it straightened and welded. Fine. I didn't give the old guy a bit of stick over that, **** happens, I should have had my ladder out of the way entirely, so I laughed it off, enjoyed dinner in the harbor, got a different guy to lift me back, and paid to have the ladder fixed later.

BUT from some other posts, it seems this driver has dinged multiple other boats, and does not take no for an answer in approaching. If that's true, then THAT is why I would say something. Old taxi man T-bones my ladder? Accident. Five friends telling me later he's done them the same way? Drunk? Too old? Too inexperienced? Mentally unwell to be driving around where kids are swimming? Who knows, and I wouldn't lose my **** about it, but I would defo calmly and kindly say something to someone, because something ain't right. No karma involved, or needed.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 06:55   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Unbelievable. Sounds like the consensus is you should feel sorry for the idiot that ran into your boat. What a load of crap.
You’re absolutely correct Scout. Regardless of the woman’s experience, clearly a violation of COLREGS and the owner of the “bum boat” is libel. Proving it to the conveining authorities is something different. Are there witness statements or is this he-said-she-said? Does Hans have insurance and what is his deductible in case of more than a scratch? One thing is for sure; matching the repair, with regards to matching colors on a 40 year old boat, it impossible.
aeronautic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:05   #110

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I would be more concerned with the longer term ramifications. Everyone knows everyone in these communities. You're now, more than likely, infamous. That is not the side of the community I want to be on. Certainly not for $200.

Moreso, $200 is probably a lot more to them than it is to me. The business owner has extended goodwill, however, the OP has not. That becomes of reflection of all cruisers in their minds. Awesome!!!

For $200?
Good to know you're ok with people ramming your boat. I just hope no kids get in the way. Really pathetic comment.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 09:05   #111

Boat: hunter 41 DS

Quote:
Unbelievable. Sounds like the consensus is you should feel sorry for the idiot that ran into your boat. What a load of crap.
Totally agree. If you don't know how to handle a boat properly you shouldn't be out in one, I don't care how poor or rich you are for that matter. Someone runs into me and damages my boat I am going to pursue them to the FULL extent of the law, regardless of their social status-period!
bradm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 09:27   #112

Boat: TBD

Humor....
Maybe you need to switch boats....something like this might be a bit more intimidating and non owners would keep their distance.

PT Boat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F6E81747-9D8C-4B05-B1C5-FF14CD2E904A.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	182839  
Bentwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 09:36   #113
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hit by small motor boat.

Quote:
Good to know you're ok with people ramming your boat. I just hope no kids get in the way. Really pathetic comment.
My last boat I'da laughed my tits off.. it was a steel V de S.. more damage to them.. not counting whiplash.
But hey.. Its Christmas and everyones miserable.. tho for some its normal.. else why post it.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 12:29   #114

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post

Yes, but that's exactly the way it works. $50 billion down the drain because of some loudmouthed or arrogant cad spoils it all.

We are all ambassadors.

Not saying anything against the OP, who has handled it in his own way. I wasn't there so can't say in what style he handled it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 12:39   #115

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasse_A View Post
Yesterday at anchor we were hit midship by a small motor boat. The young lady at the helm obviously did not have the knowledge for handling the boat.
It was one of those boats selling stuff to cruisers here in Bequia.
We got a scratch of about 1 feet long and half an inch wide.
It looks like its not gone all the way through the gelcoat but it's hard to tell.
The cost of fixing this depends largely if you need to apply top coat or if it is possible to just sand paper and polish it.
Does anyone here on the forum know the cost of the 2 different cases ?
1) Sanding, polishing and waxing.
2) Blending the correct color of topcoat, applying it, sanding, polishing and waxing.
The boat is almost 40 years old but in perfect condition. Otherwise I wouldn't really care. Also, I think hitting other boats should result in consequences.

/Hans
Threre's absolutely no way to give you any sort of estimate because it depends on where you get it done and whether you find a really good gelcoat repair person (who can do it more quickly and with better results than your average yard worker). The challenge is going to be finding that really good gelcoat repair person. I doubt there is one on Bequia.

If you're saying it went "nearly through the gelcoat" it's not going to buff out.

If you're just trying for some form of compensation then I'd shoot for 3 hours at $100 per hour. It will probably take a longer in total labor hours in terms of prep, color matching, polishing etc. but that's close enough and you'll be hard pressed to convince the business owner that it would take longer.

All that said, I'd let it go (if the woman has not already lost her job as a result of the accident) and absorb the eventual cost of repair...or learn to do it yourself.
Old 28-12-2018, 12:44   #116

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I have spent quite a bit of time anchored out at Bequia and sailing around the Grenadines. Fenders are a good idea.

As for the repair, Bequia is FULL of really good people in all of the marine trades including gel coat repair. I would gladly hire one of them to repair any scratches (if they even need repairing) and consider it a great trade compared to spending my time on a fruitless legal quest to blame some local entrepreneur for minor damage. Consider that this is the CARIBBEAN and you are in BEQUIA on a SAILBOAT. You are winning big time with or without a scratch. Take a chill pill or a rum punch and try to wrap your mind around where you are and have a bit of gratitude.

Or you could always leave and go home. They take the Colregs way more seriously in the USA and Europe. You could get hit there and win your case. In Bequia you might want to remember that there is probably a 90% chance that the authorities are cousins of the business owner you are trying to punish for giving a job to a teenager. Gee, who is going to win that pissing match?
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 12:53   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradm85 View Post
Totally agree. If you don't know how to handle a boat properly you shouldn't be out in one, I don't care how poor or rich you are for that matter. Someone runs into me and damages my boat I am going to pursue them to the FULL extent of the law, regardless of their social status-period!
Technically, that's an exclamation point.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 20:21   #118

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
X2. Very pathetic.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 20:57   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
We are all ambassadors.

Sure, that's true ... to some extent.

I've met some rude people from other countries, too. But I don't then assume that everyone from those countries is a jerk. Even if I've met several that are. And anyone who has interacted with people from other countries - even a little bit - should know that sometimes what is considered rude in one country is perfectly acceptable in another. And a lot can get lost in translation.

It's unfortunate that people tend to remember the bad more than the good. But if a person judges an entire country based on the actions of one or even a few people, then I think that's their problem. There are so many good people from all over the world who have so much to offer each other. To limit what you can experience and learn is, IMHO, a damn shame.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 22:01   #120

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Works both ways... we had some interactions with a Tasmanian chap a couple of years ago who openly told us that he didn't like Yanks. But after spending a few hours on board our boat and discussing this and that, he allowed that we were OK, despite being Americans.

Being that he was doing some repair painting on our boat for gratis (his son had T-boned us while we were at anchor) we were happy that we "passed muster", and have remained friends with the family.

Point is that one's behavior counts more than one's nationality in interpersonal relations, once a little contact is made... and IMO Dockhead is right: we are all ambassadors... for our nation and for cruisers in general. It is kinda a duty to represent our nations and our cruising status favorably, and that isn't all that hard to do!

Jim

Tags
boat, motor