Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2018, 14:51   #46

Boat: Trapper 300
Re: Hit by small motor boat.

I remember encountering an American tour group alighting from their tour bus in Napoli a few years ago, it was an embarrassment to me. If you speak louder, you'll be more understandable sort of thing. Most Americans have never set foot outside the country.....it's not their fault that that they have bought into the nationalistic idea of American exceptionalism, what is astounding is the fervor with which they embrace it. A Viet Minh political officer couldn't do a better job.
heron237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 14:55   #47

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasse_A View Post
We got a scratch of about 1 feet long and half an inch wide.

/Hans
About $500 professionally repaired in Florida. Could be different elswhere.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 15:47   #48

Consider the cost of your self-effected repair versus a trip to a hospital emergency room for treatment of a hypertension-induced heart incident. I personally would photo-document it, log it, and purchase some brightly colored fenders to designate the approach/greeting point.

Indeed, life is too short....

Bob
bobat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 17:13   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by heron237 View Post
I remember encountering an American tour group alighting from their tour bus in Napoli a few years ago, it was an embarrassment to me. If you speak louder, you'll be more understandable sort of thing. Most Americans have never set foot outside the country.....it's not their fault that that they have bought into the nationalistic idea of American exceptionalism, what is astounding is the fervor with which they embrace it. A Viet Minh political officer couldn't do a better job.
Certainly going to have your critics when you're the best
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 18:25   #50

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Unbelievable. Sounds like the consensus is you should feel sorry for the idiot that ran into your boat. What a load of crap.
Yup , but it aint their boats that got hit ! Hahahaha
All is hunky dory till its their foot in the other guys shoe. Rum doesn’t fix anything! It only dulls the pain.
I call hypocrisy....
Plenty on this channel.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 18:30   #51

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Sounds like the experts of judgement live in cape cod pounding sand ? Hahahaha
Old 23-12-2018, 18:31   #52

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

The young lady in question has apparently damaged many boats through reckless and irresponsible boat handling, coming alongside even in the face of pleas or orders to stand off, and has never been forced to make good for her mischief. She has not been taught that such behavior has consequences. Being poor and downtrodden does not excuse REPEATED acts of damaging mischief. No way.

Ultimately, you can't get blood from a turnip. What do you really think she is able to pay? Being forced to own up to the harm she has caused will perhaps make her more careful and courteous in the future, reducing the number of innocent, poor, downtrodden collisions that she is totally at fault for. That is the benefit of seeing this through appropriate channels, not forcing her to pay money she doesn't have. Everyone who has just let her slide out of pity for her financial status has contributed to the problem and shares her guilt, from a moral perspective, IMHO. Sure, it is very noble to turn the other cheek. Or turn the other side of the boat. But you have no right to perpetuate this problem and force someone else to either suffer the damage or be the bad guy.

Even the business owner is probably operating at a slim margin, but ultimately, as her employer, he is responsible for the manner in which his employee carries out her job. She is not a licensed master I am sure, and does not carry the responsibility of one under local law, I am betting. The company she works for is financially responsible. That is my take on it. My legal advice, <disclaimer warning> is worth every penny I am charging for it. However, I am pretty sure this sums it up. The business should be made to cough up SOMETHING, even if it is just a token payment in kind. Otherwise there is no incentive to rein in this floating she-terror of the harbor with warnings to not crash into, and damage, the pretty sailboats floating out there in the harbor.
Old 23-12-2018, 19:40   #53

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Unbelievable. Sounds like the consensus is you should feel sorry for the idiot that ran into your boat. What a load of crap.

You should have waited 4 more pages before posting this.

Now the OP should be ashamed of themselves and if they’re American be embarrassed too. SMH
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 20:36   #54

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Arrogance doesn't belong here.
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 21:04   #55

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heron237 View Post
Yeah, we have all seen our share of ugly Americans, but I find your reply rude and unnecessarily nasty.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 21:15   #56

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Yeah, we have all seen our share of ugly Americans, but I find your reply rude and unnecessarily nasty.
Sadly sometimes the truth hurts, but it doesn't make any less true.
FWIW I have seen many a group of Australian tourists behaving "badly" and it has made me ashamed of being an Aussie, because so many people presume that all are the same.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 21:16   #57

Boat: Ericson/Gulfstar 50/ Noresman 447

I love the attitude of certain countries, e.g how much can we get out of this incident, maybe I can find further damage to screw out of them.how much money can I make on this deal.

We all make mistakes in life
I have been hit by fishing boats damage yes but why try an get money out of people who can not afford the cost of a meal.

My suggestion sell your boat stay an home you won’t have these problems.

True sailing is helping others
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 22:07   #58

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post

Agreed. I've also seen my share of "ugly" tourists from just about every nation with enough disposable income to generate middle-class travel. If you only see it in Americans, then that's all you're looking for.

This is all besides the fact that Heron's comments have nothing to do with the thread.

I'm really surprised and disappointed at so many vitriolic comments directed to a guy that just seemed to ask how much a repair should cost.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 22:08   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's fine if you want to spend your time like that.

I don't take money for scratches, personally, whether the culprit is rich or poor and not even if he offers. Not worth messing with. My annual budget includes topsides polish, wax, and scratch elimination.

And every cheerful "don't worry about it" is a deposit in the sailor karma bank.

Scratches happen. Gel coat repairs are really cheap and easy, not at all like fixing scratched cars. Being philosophical about scratches really enhances the pleasure of cruising.
This is not meant to be a direction to the OP but a musing brought on by this heated thread.

The karma bank is pretty impressive, especially how a few handfuls of change tossed into the sea of life ripple and expand across people and time.
When I was a younger lad, low on cash but full of adventure I dinged the anchor pulpit of a very expensive boat in a tight space in high winds. No one was aboard but we stayed to let the owners know about the damage. We exchanged information and I offered to pay. Later we brought over some bottles of wine and ended up having some great conversation and watched the blue angels fly with some very cool people. I waited for a call and a bill but it never came.

I've thought of this experience often as my belongings have taken on various damage in fender benders, etc, and have turned the other cheek. I've had the courtesy returned, too, and those people probably had similar experiences.

Kindness and generosity are very powerful weapons in a challenging world, wield them!
Sail365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 22:24   #60

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Yes, Heron is likely to be voted "The Grinch" on this thread. I would suggest for him/her decaf as a new year's resolution for 2019. ;^)

We have all seen "bad imports" or tourist from many countries. While the greater travelling USA population could claim a seat in in the Top 20 list, there are plenty more examples from all borders. Just travel more and the conservation of a$$holes seem to average out. lol

As for the boat impact, yes, it's annoying. We have a 40+ year old boat and I have spent enough time with its hull that I know all of it's imperfections. Do I want more, No. But am I going "all-in" to fix the ignorant (including Heron)... NO. That path leads toward madness, and a waste of time... and Karma.

My two cents.

Tags
boat, motor