Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 11:18   #1

Boat: 1967 Falmouth Gypsy 24'
Herb's SSB Weather Channel

I need to know when Herb broadcast weather time and frequency, I'm on poached wifi 'somewhere' in the Bahamas, immediate reply is much appreciated
Hillbillyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Herb's SSB weather channel

Herb broadcasts on HF/SSB frequency12359.0 between 1930 and 2000 UTC.
8294.0 and 16531.0 are used as alternate frequencies, as announced from time to time, subject to propagation.
VE3LML ➥ South Bound II VAX498 - Ship routing and weather forecasting

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 13:41   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Highly recommended. Just observe proper radio etiquette and wait until you are "summoned". Herb runs semi-customized weather forecasts based on what YOU tell HIM, so expect general information on Day 1 with greater accuracy and relevance as you progress. That means you should log wind speed, direction, barometer trends and anything notable like changes in wave trains or heights greater or less than forecasted.

He's not one for unnecessary chatter, particularly when he's working his way through a dozen boat contacts taking 4-8 minutes each.

Unless you have a really good reason not to take his suggestions (like you have a heavy boat and an overbuilt rig capable of using more wind effectively), it's probably good to follow his routing suggestions as they are based on arriving safely rather than directly.

Keep a pad handy and if you are set up for this, record his broadcasts. We found out a lot of information from noting what was going on with boats 50, 100 and 200 miles ahead and behind us as we did getting the one-on-one treatment.

Fair winds.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:30   #4

Boat: 1967 Falmouth Gypsy 24'

I only have a receiver, listening in will give me plenty of info. The crossing was glass smother, motored all night and cleared into Bimini, the sea is purple!

BTW anchored outside Cat Cay Yatch club helping a buddy fix his rudder, the rocks aren't forgiving if one drags, lucky for me it wasn't Waltzing Matilda that dragged. No real harm done, we fixed his boat with material that I have, there is never enough space for gear on board and I am a floating tool shop. I have a new found appreciation for outboards on a sailboat, even with a broken rudder one can motor to safety.
Hillbillyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:39   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Herb is not noted for his patience with folks who cannot operate their SSB well. So don't get upset if he is less than polite or tactful. But his experience with weather in the Atlantic basin is unmatched by anybody.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:03   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Herb's SSB Weather Channel

When the guys who forecast for the U.S. Navy give you a medal, it's safe to say you are the real deal.

I met Herb at a Safety at Sea seminar last year. He's a nice old fellow, but don't expect him to remember your boat name...he handles hundreds of boats a year!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb, weather