CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: HELP - Eager for your input on logbooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fish View Post
Jim,
...Pelagic,
Made your changes but what is the legal reason for from and towards?
Apart from the psychological benefits to the crew that allows the master to change the sail plan at any time, it also strengthens your case against an adversarial lawyer, if your log is being scrutinized in court.

Issues from challenged claims of Force Majeure, to incursions within unfriendly territorial waters, can be more easily explained using the ‘towards’ log entry.

Also, tradition amongst mariners is to be less arrogant with Mother Nature, when defining your passage.

Old 20-05-2013, 20:00   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Two Fish, We pretty much follow Tingum & Kettlewell's plans. We keep cloth bound ledgers as our log books. One "Deck Log" and one "Engine Log". Our deck log includes the list of those aboard, date, symbols for weather conditions, times, position and intentions. We add to this at the end of the day to include to results of our intentions. We keep the pages generic and free for amount of information in columns. Our Engine Log includes the checking of fuel, oil, transmission fluid, coolant, hydraulic fluid, stuffing box, and bilge as well as engine and generator running times. We also include in this log a record of all amintenance. At the back of this log we keep part numbers for commonly replaced parts,- filters, belts, etc. and the type and length for each piece of running rigging on board.

Old 20-05-2013, 23:23   #33

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution

Here come the flames! I am surprised no-one mentioned some of the tablet apps. We have iLog on the iPad from EastCoast marine. Lots of info and automatic Lat, log, time etc. Low power consumption can capture images and can be backed up to the cloud. Maintenance log, where is log etc.

just my 2 cents
Old 21-05-2013, 16:32   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

[QUOTE=Dod42;1240496]Here come the flames! ........................................... Maintenance log, where is log etc. ........../QUOTE]

"Here come the flames"? 'you expecting disagreement? ,- It sounds like a good plan to me.

"Where is log, etc"? Are you expecting that people would lose a log? I haven't lost a log or an iPad.

Yours is a great idea, but there's nothing wrong with log books.
Old 21-05-2013, 16:38   #35

The "Where is log" is where you list where on the boat you put things, Like an inventory but with location
Old 21-05-2013, 16:41   #36
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
The "Where is log" is where you list where on the boat you put things, Like an inventory but with location
That's called a " women "

Dave
Old 21-05-2013, 16:47   #37

I think it is important to have written information on paper in ink other than stored digitally in electrons somewhere. I just feel that no matter what, short of losing the thing overboard, the paper logbook will work and I could reference important information I might need when the electronics go for some reason. I have had both laptops go at the same time onboard, for example, so they were both unuseable.
Old 21-05-2013, 16:57   #38

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I think it is important to have written information on paper in ink other than stored digitally in electrons somewhere. I just feel that no matter what, short of losing the thing overboard, the paper logbook will work and I could reference important information I might need when the electronics go for some reason. I have had both laptops go at the same time onboard, for example, so they were both unuseable.
Or both. Only takes a moment.
Old 21-05-2013, 17:03   #39

Different strokes.. Being a geek it appeals to me.

I put the iPad in a waterproof case. We have navionics on it as a backup nav. My wife works in healthcare so good luck reading her hand writing. You probably don't get as much detail in the written log but at a pinch they can include a photo from the built in camera or screen shot from the nav, the teenage crew seem to be able to use it, and at $10.50 AUD it seemed good value.

We use the "Where is" for my spares list and the maintenance log.

I am sure there are other apps that do something similar. We have reasonable WiFi / 3G coverage so the backup to the cloud is our way of dealing with it dying. I guess if it died while out I would switch to paper the back enter it when I get back.

We are coastal cruising so it's not a big deal for us. It is just a way of having all the info to hand including where I am.
Old 21-05-2013, 17:21   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
Thanks, I, obviously, missed the meaning! I love technology and the potential you describe. We also use our paper log books for guest to sign in and present us with comments. They become treasured records and momentos of cruises. We also only write on the right-hand faces of the pages and afix photos and paper clippings on the opposite side. They almost turn into "scrap books" of our adventures. The non-print eLogs would be a more functional added use for us that I would consider, but we would not give up the paper logs.
Old 21-05-2013, 17:23   #41

Quote:
One "Deck Log" and one "Engine Log".
That's a good idea, though I would make it a "Maintenance Log" rather than just an "Engine Log." For example, when was the last time I checked the battery water level, or when did I last lubricate the sea cocks. Plus, it is useful to have all sorts of parts information in one place: fuel and oil filters, oil type, zincs, dimensions of mast and rigging, paint used, etc., etc.
Old 21-05-2013, 23:00   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post

For example, when was the last time I checked the battery water level, or when did I last lubricate the sea cocks. Plus, it is useful to have all sorts of parts information in one place: fuel and oil filters, oil type, zincs, dimensions of mast and rigging, paint used, etc., etc.
These are the sorts of things I find much more useful to have online, Google calendars for maintenance, easy to search and set a reminder for the next time. Plus kit slowly going onto konni logbook and exported to dropbox. Then next time you see a good deal on a new halyards or whatever, all the boat info can be accessed with a mobile phone with web access. But you are allowed to write it dawn as well , just quicker and easier to access using technology. Imho
Old 22-05-2013, 00:29   #43
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

one of the issues with only having an electronic log is it won't meet the legal requirements of many countries. Logbooks are supposed to be written in ink and have no removable pages. It would be easy to edit an electronic log prior to the court case, and even if it isn't easy, the prosecutor would no doubt make it seem to be.
I usually fill in the log book at the chart table and refer to opencpn and the barometer for information. I just have to check the current wind speed and direction before I leave the helm.
Definitely agree the 'where is' app is one of the (many) reasons we have women!
Old 22-05-2013, 02:22   #44

Out of interest, anyone know which countries require small craft registered there to maintain log books?
Old 22-05-2013, 06:10   #45

There is no legal requirement to carry a log book onboard pleasure craft in the USA.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: