Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 20:08   #1

Boat: 41ft morgan
Heeling

So i have an almost 6ft keel on my 35ft warrior, at what speed will it begin to heel noticeably? Rough estimate

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Milfordadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 20:57   #2

Boat: Alberg #0
Re: Heeling

You mean wind speed? Boat speed doesn't cause heeling, sailing into the wind does. How much is also affected by how much sail is up/whether you are reefed. You'll be doing hull speed by then :-) I think we need more info.
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 22:05   #3

Boat: Vagabond 14

You can heel it right on over with nearly no forward speed.... Close haul with the boat broadside to the wind. It'll tip right on over.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 23:02   #4

Well don't want that to happen lol. Not sure what my hull speed is. Can't find any info on the trident warrior

Old 08-08-2016, 23:10   #5

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Designed by Angus Primrose? Mercedes diesel?

WARRIOR III (PRIMROSE) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Old 09-08-2016, 00:13   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Probably about 8kts of breeze, & 3kts+ boat speed. Though if you want her to move better in less wind than that, put people on the low side to help heel her over.
Also, pretty much anything much past 30 deg, consistently, & it's time to reef.

Since she's narrow, & has a shallow keel, initially she'll be tender, but will harden up at about 25 deg +/- (yep, educated guess of an insomniac).

PS: Did you not take her for a test sail prior to purchase? So that you know how she heels over.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:37   #7

if the wind's behind you, you won't heel. If it's on your beam and you have let the sail out to the luffing point, you might have a little heel. This will increase as the wind increases. To manage, let the sail out more or reef it. If the wind is at the closest point you can sail upwind in, it will heel significantly. To help reduce it, pull the sails as flat as you can and centre them. If you're still heeling too much, reef the sails.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:03   #8

Bought the boat on the hard.. and it was repowered with a yanmar three years ago. Finishing up resanding the bottom and new bottom paint this weekend. Gonna have her in water by end of September

Old 09-08-2016, 05:32   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
if the wind's behind you, you won't heel. If it's on your beam and you have let the sail out to the luffing point, you might have a little heel. This will increase as the wind increases. To manage, let the sail out more or reef it. If the wind is at the closest point you can sail upwind in, it will heel significantly. To help reduce it, pull the sails as flat as you can and centre them. If you're still heeling too much, reef the sails.
Succinct!

Great answer.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:54   #10

Heeling will vary wildly depending on your heading relative to the wind, hull style (flat bottom hulls will heel less in light conditions), if you are reefed.

If it's a smaller boat with a narrow hull, you will notice it heel when you step from the dock onto the gunnel.

Usually it's worst if you have full sail up and are going to windward. It would typically be least running downwind.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:10   #11

Good general information above. As to your particular boat...

It has a ratio of sail area to displacement that is only 13.1. That's pretty low. That would normally indicate a boat that is not going to go very fast, especially in light winds, and also will not need to be reefed terribly early.

On the other hand, the beam is rather narrow for a boat of this size, and as far as I can tell the hull shape is pretty rounded. That would generally indicate a boat that will heel easily, at least for the first few degrees.

On the OTHER, other hand, the ballast to displacement ratio is over 41%, which is on the high side, and will help to resist heeling. The capsize number is 1.8, which indicates a strong resistance to capsizing and/or quick recovery. Based on that (combined with the low SA/D ratio) my guess is that the boat would be pretty resistant to being knocked down.

Which is all just the long way to say, the heeling may worry you, but I think it would take some awfully serious conditions for this boat to heel over so far that you were in any real danger. Go out and enjoy it, and good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:30   #12

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milfordadkins View Post
So i have an almost 6ft keel on my 35ft warrior, at what speed will it begin to heel noticeably? Rough estimate

So you own this boat and sail it yet you don't know at what speed and in what conditions it heels?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:46   #13

Define "noticeable". I can notice 1 degree, which happens at about 1 knot of wind. The question is meaningless, so the answers are likely to be equally so.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:49   #14

Boat: Able 50

Angle of heel has nothing to do with wind speed and everything to do with how much sail you are carrying at the time. Get out there and experiment with different sail combinations.

That boat's hull speed is 6.8 knots.

One tip: older skinny boats are quite happy heeling more than the newer fat boats
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:25   #15

"Angle of heel has nothing to do with wind speed"

You learn something new every day.