Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-04-2010, 22:20   #16

Boat: Pearson 281
We would sometimes go for just a day sail and out in mid-channel (beyond the shipping lanes thank you) we'd heave to for lunch, rising and falling on the swell. Sometimes jib backed sometimes not as that makes for wear and tear on the sails/rig.
Once some folks returning from Catalina came by while we were eating and asked if we were okay and did we know we had the jib sheeted wrong. We thanked them and said we were okay.. they deferred on us tossing a beer over and headed for home.
Also heaving to on a beautiful day with the stereo going in the cockpit (or not)is a great opportunity for fornication al fresca...

Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 01:03   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Our boat heaves-to pretty well. She settles down about sixty degrees off the wind, making just a little way (so maybe she's actually forereaching).

Just one problem -- chafe. We can't use the staysail for this because the staysail is self-tacking (although I guess we could find someway to belay the self-tacking sheet car). The backed yankee settles hard against the spreaders. I would not want to leave it like that; it would surely chafe through, especially in heavy weather.

Any of you guys have this problem? What do you do about it? Sorry for the induced thread drift.

"Fornication al fresco" -- LOL! Another great purpose for heaving to! Have to try that some time.

Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 02:18   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in New York
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Instead of heaving to we generally (dependant of where we are going, how far to sea, fuel etc) we 'jog' with the engine.

A CF member (forgotten his name) who has a yacht and also one of those Alaskan crab boats said in bad weather in the fishing boat they jog - engine in close to idle, into the waves at 45 degrees.

That, for us, is better than heaving to because the Bene dont seem to do heaving to very well... unless I'm not doing it right!

With my brand new mainsail on its first day up today (no wind) I have a very deep second reef so it might work better.

I will try sometime.

By the way, we have more than 1 weeks fuel on board so that does make a difference.

Notes on a Circumnavigation.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 03:30   #19

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Mark thanks for the tip, I had not thought about jogging, but you're right, I hear the Crabbers talk about it all the time. Good to have an option, especially if you are in the weather for a while and want to charge the batteries. Or need to get away from the Admiral and would rather be in the cockpit in a storm than down below in a bigger storm
1348 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 824 working days!

My club
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 05:05   #20
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In my experience heaving too in a modern fin keeled yacht is a waste of time. In benign conditions it works but then why use it so. In heavy to very heavy conditions the boat will not remain hove too. It will either lie almost beam on or if closer to the wind tack thru and sail off. Modern boats are so lightweight that the seas throw them around quite a bit and they just will not sit there.

Forereaching is the best option under tiny main and slow ahead engine. In most conditions right up to survival conditions the autopilot can be engaged

the pardeys sailed a very different boat and in my opinion what's worked for them may not work for you.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 05:13   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
I spent an afternoon trying different sail and helm combinations in order to heave-to safely. In the end I gave up.

Either the boat fore-reached at several knots, or made stern reach. The only time I managed to get her balanced, we moved sideways at more than 4 knots - not a good experience.

I have heard of catamarans being hove-to, but suspect it would be better to lie ahull.
"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
Robert A Heinlein
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 05:46   #22

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
For my boat, it depends on the conditions.

If the wind is very light, I need a jib up front otherwise she rounds up no matter what I do.

In winds from 10 up to 40-ish knots or so she heave-to's well with just the reefed mainsail since there is enough windage on her bow to keep her from rounding up. I just have to adjust it a little based on the wind speed and seas.

Too much more than that and she has a tendency to being blown beam on, possibly due to the reduction in mainsail area and the center of pressure from the sail moving forward. I have tied a small piece of tarp to the backstay with some success keeping her in a good position, but I don't get to practice with it too much here in Florida. If I leave more sail up, she heels alot and then rounds up again, needing a backwinded storm jib that then makes her heel even more. It works but is a little uncomfortable at that heel angle, although she sits well.

I suppose I could tie a drouge or sea anchor to the bow and that might pull her back around to a good position, but I hate being unable to maneuver.

Every boat behaves different.... you have to experiement with yours.

My Cape Dory has a full keel with a cutaway fore-foot.

DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: