Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2014, 07:54   #46

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Heaving to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc View Post
I have seen 'heaving to' alluded to in a few posts on different subjects, and usually followed by something along the lines of that nobody bothers with it much these days or in fact knows how to get their boat to heave to.
Is this true?
Personally I regard the ability to heave to as one of the most useful attributes in my sailing repertoire, and do so quite frequently. Admittedly I have a long keeled boat which aids in the maneuver, but have also had success in fin keeled boats.
Does anyone else appreciate my enthusiasm for heaving to as a good skill to have?
A surprising number of sailors, even otherwise very experienced ones, don't know this basic sailing skill.

I too regard it as a very important and basic sailing skill.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 12:03   #47

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
He may have meant whelp. Whelp - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Related to Dutch and German (English is a Germanic language, for people who didn't know). In Dutch we have the word 'welp' which means cub.

But perhaps he meant the recent FB slang for "well".

Onno
Thanks Onno,

I did look that up in the dictionary too. I don't know if he just misspelled it and meant to be insulting or is making up his own language.
Old 30-04-2014, 13:14   #48

In my first thread on discovering this forum, I hoped to discuss a novel way of heaving to. I was at pains to explain that I saw this novel way as offering unique benefits in situations other than bad weather.

Partly in the hope of avoiding the usual partisan sh*t fight on storm management, and partly because it was the truth, as I saw it.

I was also hoping to find out who else had heard of this technique, or come up with it, truly novel ideas being like hens' teeth.

I was unable to make any headway in discussing the topic, because of disbelief, shading almost into ridicule, for my notion that (in all situations short of a gale or worse) the sacred destiny of a boat was not inexorably to forge forever forwards.

I recall attracting particular ridicule for the notion of heaving to at mealtimes.

I'm one of those strange people who can actively enjoy sailing to windward, even offshore, at least some of the time. I recall a trip with thirteen other people where we were on port tack for ten days straight, and I was the only person not climbing the walls by day ten.

Even so, I cannot enjoy eating, let alone digest a good meal, when hanging on grimly while falling off every fifth wave ... and it's hell on wineglasses ....

The lost mile(s) are in my experience quickly won back with a rested, refreshed watch on deck, and the social reconnection of everyone sitting down together and focussed on each other, rather than the boat, puts me in mind of an era when most family mealtimes ashore were like that

Before the invention of the TV dinner .... (sigh)

I remember reading about a motorbike from the first decades of the twentieth century, featuring a radial engine, whose cylinders were effectively the spokes of the front (!) wheel, and whose crankshaft was the front axle.

The engine was bump started, and (lacking any way of declutching) if you needed to yield right of way (perhaps, to a bullock dray!) you simply circled until the way was clear.

That sort of solution seemed to me, at the time of starting my first thread, to be the prevailing mindset on this forum: or perhaps another analogy was a plane trip: you were either going somewhere, or flying a holding pattern, or you were there.

(in which case, reverting to boats: you are tied to a marina or lying to an anchor)

After pages of being slapped down, I very nearly left without a backward glance.

I'm very heartened to find, from the very different flavour of this thread, that either the forum culture has evolved, or I caught it at a bad moment.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 18:15   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Thank you. I know the goal. I know how to heave to. I know that the Wharram will not. How will their book help me?
I no longer think it will.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 19:05   #50
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
I recall attracting particular ridicule for the notion of heaving to at mealtimes.
I remember that thread. You might be confusing derision with "ridicule."

A lot of folks heave to (or forereach) for meals. Or to bathe. Or to make it more pleasant to maintain gear.

Folks who think of heaving to exclusively as a survival strategy probably got too much of their sailing knowledge out of books, rather than on the water.
Old 30-04-2014, 19:26   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I remember that thread. You might be confusing derision with "ridicule."

A lot of folks heave to (or forereach) for meals. Or to bathe. Or to make it more pleasant to maintain gear.

Folks who think of heaving to exclusively as a survival strategy probably got too much of their sailing knowledge out of books, rather than on the water.
Hmm ... Messrs Merriam & Webster seem to think they're synonyms.

PS: thanks for your support on the latter point. Better late than never !
Old 30-04-2014, 19:39   #52

In ISPA we heave-to as a part of our MOB.

I have done this with both cats and monohulls.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 19:42   #53

I have hove-to and fired up the BBQ at lunch; in calm conditions of course.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 22:12   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
In ISPA we heave-to as a part of our MOB.

Indeed .... I fully support teaching the above technique as a basic building block, which is applicable across a wide range of circumstances, and which can be done in a measured way, giving all participants time to adjust to the new circumstances.

As an enhancement for snappy boathandlers in suitable conditions: if you can do it immediately, a much more compact, quicker manoeuvre is to immediately bear away (staying on port) and gybe tightly around from the first position shown, again without doing anything to the headsail, and end up directly in the last position shown, hove to on starboard tack.

The quicker method is better suited to smaller boats, or to boats with a permanently rigged system for controlling gybes single-handed. It requires a tidy cockpit management policy and needs to be well practiced.

But the difference to time in the water can be considerable. It could be the difference between life and death if the MOB is compromised at the time they hit the water.

And it's great for picking up hats before they get time to sink.
Old 01-05-2014, 18:36   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
I no longer think it will.
Thanks for the reply. I've read a couple of the Pardey's books and even met Larry at one of our Yacht Club parties here in Hilo. I have a great deal of respect for them and the information in their books.

The Wharram is a different breed of cat.
Old 01-05-2014, 18:47   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've read a couple of the Pardey's books and even met Larry at one of our Yacht Club parties here in Hilo. I have a great deal of respect for them and the information in their books.

The Wharram is a different breed of cat.
You mean, like Kipling's cat in the Just So stories, who

"walked by himself, and all places were alike to him." ?
Old 01-05-2014, 19:18   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
You mean, like Kipling's cat in the Just So stories, who

"walked by himself, and all places were alike to him." ?
I haven't Kipled in quite a while but I guess that could be why I made that statement. Reaching back in very distant memories occasionally brings forward something that I'd forgotten.
Old 01-05-2014, 19:22   #58

Boat: Monk 36

Doing so in the 28' mono understood. I have yet to try it in the 40' cat. Any suggestions? Draws 4'. Boaty?
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 19:22   #59

Boat: PETERSON 44

Heaving to for a break is one thing heaving to because it's breaking waves is another.
I would rather go ass to the sea with a tad of sail up. I would rather have a stern drogue then trying to for reach with a offset para anchor. It's just to much stuff in the water. It would very hard to change tactic if the the situation degraded.yes the pardeys found it worked. I am not a pardeys .try retrieving that para anchor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 19:29   #60

Boat: Monk 36

@ Jackdale - On the Glenmore Reservoir?
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote