Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 10:22   #31
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hey, did you see the video I made the other day about windvanes Vs Auto Pilot?

In it I show how hard I MUST work to keep things going. And its not just a one man job, Nicolle is working too!

Click this or right click and download:
www.ourlifeatsea.com/autopilot.mpg

Mark
PS To YourOldNemesis: What catastrophic evens cut the TOTAL power to a cruising boat which is going to have at least a solar panel or wind generator as well as the engine alternator

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 14:13   #32

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
... What catastrophic evens cut the TOTAL power to a cruising boat which is going to have at least a solar panel or wind generator as well as the engine alternator
Battery failure perhaps?

Sinking second best ;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 15:13   #33

Boat: deboated
Quote:

In it I show how hard I MUST work to keep things going. And its not just a one man job, Nicolle is working too!

Click this or right click and download:
www.ourlifeatsea.com/autopilot.mpg

Mark
PS To YourOldNemesis: What catastrophic evens cut the TOTAL power to a cruising boat which is going to have at least a solar panel or wind generator as well as the engine alternator
Thank you for the entertainment
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 16:10   #34

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I agree with your friend. If both A/Ps die, which is unlikely on the same passage leg, you'll have to hand steer, but that's just aggravating, not deadly. If it wears out the both of you, just heave to for a while. It's cruising, not racing.
Talk to Abby Sunderland about autopilot failures and hand steering . . . She had to abort her non-stop round the world due to autopilot failures.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 18:27   #35

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Talk to Abby Sunderland about autopilot failures and hand steering . . . She had to abort her non-stop round the world due to autopilot failures.
MarkJ has done 25000knm without failure and I bet the majority do not have problems. You could hit a whale or container too so when do you stop the what if's and just enjoy being out there and deal with problems when they happen. Most but not all failures can be avoided by regular thorough maintenance.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 18:59   #36

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Quote:
What does a single-handed nonstop record attempt have to do with a couple cruising?
Old 06-05-2010, 20:47   #37

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
A lot! The main testing ground for new equipment is the racing and long distance sailing events. They "road test" the equipment in real world harsh conditions and the equipment that holds up has probably the best recommendation to put on your cruising boat. The equipment that breaks down is usually not the best stuff to have on your cruising boat.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 21:04   #38

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
I wonder if Joshua Slocum had any problems with his auto pilot? I guess not. He didn't abort.

Balance the thing and lash the helm.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 22:05   #39
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Great question from the OP… have not read all the comments, so this has probably already been said:

(to me) … this is a good example of ways in which equipment progress has actually robbed the new sailor of skills that would have naturally evolved without them.

For the record, most of the trans ocean deliveries I did in the early 70’s was hand steered.

Obviously a following or quartering sea was the most tiring and 2 hours of that was about maximum tolerance for my delivery crew.

But the key point I am making, is that we taught ourselves how to balance the boat in varying conditions so she would track longer and with a lighter touch on the helm.

The sailor felt the boat, steered to the conditions and did not follow a fine line GPS track but the broader spectrum of Astro-Nav. (Assumed Ignorance was indeed bliss)

My advice is to install a robust auto-pilot, but also spend hours under hand steering conditioning yourself and the boat to a basic fall-back that should never intimidate you.

The best part of that advice, is that your boat will sail easier, the autopilot will last longer and you will know instantly when you take the helm, if something is wrong.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:18   #40

Quote:
Fantastic entertainment Mark - more please.

The missus says that if an autopilot gives her more time to clean the boat then she wants a windvane.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:53   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
MarkJ has done 25000knm without failure
25,000K nm? That puts Sealife somewhere near the orbit of Venus (and I don't mean that temple on the hill above Assoss either)

mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 15:43   #42

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Abby Sunderland

Quote:
A lot! The main testing ground for new equipment is the racing and long distance sailing events.
True enough - I was thinking about two crew, shorter legs, stop when you want, etc.
Old 07-05-2010, 16:48   #43

Dude, I dont care what people say....hand steering at night when it is windy for even a few hours sucks!!!! Now I do believe there are people out there that may enjoy this, but come on! I want a backup on my boat.
dniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 17:12   #44

Boat: 1984 CS 36
so a few people have mentioned balancing sail trim to reduce need for steering in the first place, which leads me to a follow up question:

once you're in the trades, can't you just lock off the wheel, balance the sails and relax? if the boat wanders a few degrees, who cares? isn't it possible to make course corrections a few times a day but otherwise just leave the wheel locked?

on a multi week passage with two or three waypoints, having the auto (or windvane) make multiple minor course corrections seems a little over the top. as mike points out, we're not in THAT big a hurry...

or, perhaps the old salts are grinning at a blatant display of ignorance
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 17:33   #45

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dniello View Post
Dude, I dont care what people say....hand steering at night when it is windy for even a few hours sucks!!!! Now I do believe there are people out there that may enjoy this, but come on! I want a backup on my boat.
Then take crew.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote