Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2014, 23:58   #16

Re: Getting away from the Dock in High Wind

This is a good method. adding a fender at the right point will allow the boat to pivot without scratching the hull.

vinay

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
vinayfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 00:04   #17

the propellor turns because there is a hob that prevent the shaft turning wild. slipping
the suggestion to try at dock while tied up is good as if the wash of the propellor is good then the engine is too weak. measure the trust or change for a bigger engine.
but if the prop slip, you will see the wash and pull on the mooring lines decrease. then repair the hob

vinafm

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
vinayfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 04:48   #18

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar1976 View Post
I'm new to sailing and made a bad decision to take friends out, just for a motor around the harbour. My slip is at the end of the dock at the furthes point out, i just had to push off the bow and go forward.. Well it didnt' work I have a Tanzer 22 with a 7.5hp motor... as soon as we untied the motor had no power and wouldn't move us we just drifted backwards... I thought at the time their must be something wrong with the motor.We got towed back to the slip and I tested the motor and the propeller seemed to work fine.. I know it's a small motor but shouldn't it have gotten me out of their? i should mention there was a 20 knot wind that day..
A 7.5 hp outboard is more than adequate for a Tanzer 22. On my Tanzer (#2245) I had a 6 HP Nissan after the 6 HP suzuki was stolen. Both outboards pushed the boat easily in winds above 20kts.

The Tanzer needs to have a long shaft outboard, otherwise the prop will not develop enough thrust. If you have a long shaft OB, then make sure the OB bracket is down all the way.

The shear pin is designed to break when the prop hits something hard, saving the expensive transmission parts at the expense of a cheap shear pin. Shear pins will also break if the boat is shifted from forward to reverse at more than idle speed.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 06:30   #19

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Not to overstate the obvious, but are your prop and/or bottom clean? I delivered a boat for someone who apparently did not know that (especially in tropical conditions) you need to have the bottom scrubbed regularly. The engine started up fine, but when we slipped the mooring there was no power, as it turns out everything was so completely covered with growth (hard and soft) that there was simply no thrust even though the prop was turning. A good cleaning was all that was required. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 06:35   #20

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar1976 View Post
I'm new to sailing and made a bad decision to take friends out, just for a motor around the harbour. My slip is at the end of the dock at the furthes point out, i just had to push off the bow and go forward.. Well it didnt' work I have a Tanzer 22 with a 7.5hp motor... as soon as we untied the motor had no power and wouldn't move us we just drifted backwards... I thought at the time their must be something wrong with the motor.We got towed back to the slip and I tested the motor and the propeller seemed to work fine.. I know it's a small motor but shouldn't it have gotten me out of their? i should mention there was a 20 knot wind that day..
I had a similar experience many years ago. It turned out to be a broken shear pin. The propeller slipped on the shaft as soon as it encountered any resistance.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 07:30   #21
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Operated a similar set up; 5hp outboard on a J24.

1. Difficult to make way in the face of strong wind and waves. The wind would catch the bow and spin us around. We'd do a 360 to get up some momentum and drive back into the wind. At the dock you would not have this option.

2. The outboard would often slip out of gear, so lots of revs but no thrust.
Old 21-07-2014, 07:44   #22

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Lots of good info on possible problems with the outboard. Another problem to consider might be, why take a Tanzer 22 out of the slip when it's blowing 20 with probable higher gusts? Unless you are a true thrill seeker, of course. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 14:01   #23

Left hand prop on a right hand engine?
Or is that just a British Seagull thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Oday Seaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, wind