Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2007, 09:41   #1
cruiser

Funny Cleats!

Here are some cleats just from my one dock. I didn't walk the marina. I just took photos of the cleats of a few boats right next to mine. Lordy... lordy!

Post some of your own if you have them. No posed or fake shots, please. Just walk over to your neighbor's boat and snap a shot.

PS: The last one is mine. I know flemmishing the line isn't always the approved method, but I like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0063.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	797   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0065.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	798  

Name:	HPIM0066.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	799   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0067.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	800  

Name:	HPIM0068.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	801   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0069.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	802  

ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2007, 11:57   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

When possible I like to run the lines back to the boat through the cleat.

Can adjust them from onboard, but mainly stops anyone casting me off! - either deliberately or perhaps by mistake if freeing up a cleat to make room for their own lines............as well as leaving space for other folk to access the Cleat.

Go on, someone tell me that this causes Osmosis or something

But having said that, sometimes it IS a combination of all those featured!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2007, 12:01   #3
Kai Nui

Our harbor has a less than stellar reputation for maintenance. We have a number of interesting cleat arrangements. Unfortunately, the cleats do not always stay where they belong. We had an incident recently where a boat owner was called by the harbor office, and told his boat had broken loose, and he needed to get down there an fix it. Followed by threats of the harbor charging to retie his boat. He came down only to find out the cleat had pulled out of the dock, and his lines were still firmly tied to it. He is still arguing the $250 charge to tie his boat off.
Old 19-01-2007, 12:02   #4
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
Go on, someone tell me that this causes Osmosis or something
It causes Osmossis. You asked!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2007, 12:08   #5

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
People are like dock lines

There is a post on the 'Sailfar.net' site where 'ZEN' has taken pictures of all the cleats in his marina.

He speculates that the way a boat is tied has something to do with it's owners personality.

Here is the link.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2007, 14:46   #6

Sean, your's is the tidiest. Are you sure you didn't really have the line just hanging in the water before you tidied it up for the photo? There's a bit of a puddle around it.......
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2007, 15:05   #7
cruiser

Ha ha ha! Could have been, right?

The issue with the puddle is that we had about an inch of snow this morning. The disadvantage to the flemish coiling is just that: It leaves the line sitting in a puddle too often. Also, sometimes if you have too much line, the flemish coil makes it hard to get by without stepping on the line, which is apparently also bad for it.

Seems our friend David from the UK is the one who does it properly. I read somewhere that it is best to cleat and take any excess back up to the deck or at least up toward the deck.

No opinions on those loose "hangers?" I think for sure one of those will drop off eventually and the boat will come loose.
Old 19-01-2007, 20:26   #8

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
I let a dock attendant tie my boat up once and it was slipping before I got off the boat. I always tie mine. If I am going to be at the dock for a long time, I prefer to loop it through and tie it on the boat in all but the best marinas.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2007, 01:37   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
The disadvantage to the flemish coiling is just that: It leaves the line sitting in a puddle too often. Also, sometimes if you have too much line, the flemish coil makes it hard to get by without stepping on the line, which is apparently also bad for it.
I was also told that it has a tendency to cause the strands to "Unbind" (I suspect not the right word!) from each other therefore weakening the rope - of course whether this is true or not is another thing!

I don't do it cos' of laziness, (and not having "posh" multi-coulered rope on board ).......and no patience!...........but IMO it does look neater - the French tend to do this.........which may or may not be something to bear in mind

Oh, and it also causes Osmosis

(PS shouldn't this thread and photos be under "Obsessive and compulsive behaviors"???!! )
Old 20-01-2007, 05:24   #10
cruiser

Yes, you need a very posh line to creat a perfect coil. Ahhh... the French. We keep trying to figure out if my wife has French ancestory or not. Her family was from the Savoy region that was French then Roman then French then Italian (then German?) then French. What do you think? French, or Italian? She does like to do the flemmish coils in my photo...
Old 20-01-2007, 19:17   #11

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Good timing!

I'm in the process of preparining a little presentation on how to tie a boat to a cleat, so this thread was like a reminder that I need to get working and not flakin off by reading this forum.....

I do have a question, though. The end of the rope that is tied to the cleat is the bitter end. What is the correct name for the end that ties to the boat...the one with the loop spliced into it?

Thanks!
Lori
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2007, 22:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottygirlz
I'm in the process of preparining a little presentation on how to tie a boat to a cleat, so this thread was like a reminder that I need to get working and not flakin off by reading this forum.....

I do have a question, though. The end of the rope that is tied to the cleat is the bitter end. What is the correct name for the end that ties to the boat...the one with the loop spliced into it?

Thanks!
Lori
Only guessing"The sweat end" Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2007, 22:31   #13

Quote:
Yes, you need a very posh line to creat a perfect coil. Ahhh... the French. We keep trying to figure out if my wife has French ancestory or not. Her family was from the Savoy region that was French then Roman then French then Italian (then German?) then French. What do you think? French, or Italian? She does like to do the flemmish coils in my photo...
Nothing wrong with fruit salad.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2007, 22:40   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
If it has a loop spliced into it, as far as I understand it is called the eye. If it has nothing, I guess it is the Other bitter end :-)
Sean, have you ever heard the saying, tidy desk, sick mind. ;-)
Anyway, in my book it would be, tidy dock line=sailor that has too much time on his hands ;-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 02:06   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I think that makes her a "Savoloy" ........or given her rope work. possibly some Belgian in their somewhere

Tags
cleats