Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 13:20   #646

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Freighters vs. sailboats

I always have a HB compass handy, usually around my neck, if there is a lot of trafic around.
The big advantage is that it still has significance when your heading has changed , say due to a wind shift, or deliberate course change.

I use both, but I think the constant relative position is more accurate if your heading is constant. Perhaps this a remnant from my racing days when crossing situations were common and needed to judged with accuracy.

How do others feel? HB compass or relative position?
I can understand why the HB compass is emphasised, but is this the most accurate?
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 13:28   #647

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
It's fairly easy to determine a collision course even if you don't have MARPHA or AIS. If the object doesn't move it's location RELATIVE TO a fixed point on your boat, you are on a collision course. Just pick a point on your lifelines that lines up with the other boat - while standing in the same location, the object should move either left or right over time. If it doesn't move horizontally, YOU WILL HIT IT!
Keeping your location constant affects accuracy a lot. I stand with my nose exactly on the centre of the top of the dodger when lining up a boat. I do this as soon as a boat pops up on the horizon. It is easy to return to this exact position a few minutes later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
An easier and more appropriate method is use a hand bearing compass. Constant bearing = collision.
I always keep one on the cockpit for this reason. They are also handy for plotting positions.
Not easier, but more accurate .
It helps to take a couple of readings each time and average them to increase accuracy further. Jot down the measurement as it is easy to forget, particularly when keeping track of more than one boat (pencil and pad are always under the dodger).

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 13:51   #648
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Someone came into this forum recently who clearly had no desire to do anything except be told that of course he was right, and ALL those tugboats were wrong. I think the judgment that this person was troll was spot on.

If you do a look up by name for that blokes vessel you will find his Name and address.

If you do a search on his name and location you will find his picture and that he is called Captain.

A trolling he will go, a trolling he will go, heigh, ho, the blarny blows, A trolling he will go.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 14:14   #649

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
If you do a look up by name for that blokes vessel you will find his Name and address.

If you do a search on his name and location you will find his picture and that he is called Captain.

A trolling he will go, a trolling he will go, heigh, ho, the blarny blows, A trolling he will go.
Are you sure? The ships registry (Vessel Documentation Query by Name) shows a name that seems to equate to an environmental science teacher in the area.

I am wondering if the account information is phony?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 14:35   #650

Boat: Skookum 53'

Or being deliberately obtuse to get a rise. Or you cannot fill a cup that is already full.
Old 08-07-2013, 14:38   #651

This you tube channel might point us in the right direction. It has videos of the Tayana.

scoobertjoo's channel - YouTube
Old 08-07-2013, 14:48   #652
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Are you sure? The ships registry (Vessel Documentation Query by Name) shows a name that seems to equate to an environmental science teacher in the area.

I am wondering if the account information is phony?

Not at all sure. Scoobert doo is banned from more than one website and our scoobert may not have a documented vessel. However, I make a note of the boat listed on the forum and in the Documentation Registry.

Could easily be that scoobert bought this boat from the documented owner....
Old 08-07-2013, 14:59   #653

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
. Scoobert doo is banned from more than one website
How do you tell that?
Old 08-07-2013, 15:01   #654

Boat: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I always have a HB compass handy, usually around my neck, if there is a lot of trafic around.

How do others feel? HB compass or relative position?
I can understand why the HB compass is emphasised, but is this the most accurate?
The concept of determining risk of collision can be done with no tools. Ask a guy on a laser heading across the bow of a ferryboat.

About 300 posts ago. A frequent poster said he was disappointed his MARPA radar couldn't do this in weather. Then he said he was going to upgrade to a full gyro and a ARPA radar. Bottom line: You don't need ANY instruments to make this assessment. It is this knowledge that needs to be pushed. And that it is really easy to do. ( with practice and repetition )

A 350 dollar set of bearing binoculars from Westmarine would work fine by the way. Holy crap have the prices gone up. One of the reasons boating is such a fun hobby!
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 15:02   #655
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
How do you tell that?
Google
Old 08-07-2013, 15:07   #656
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

You don't need a gyro stabilized radar to get a relative motion line. A radar interfaced to a fluxgate set on North Up will get you a relative motion line. It just takes a little practice and a grease pencil (or plotting sheet)....no ARPA or MARPA necessary.

When you are on course, you can also take a contacts relative bearing and distance to create a relative motion line. (on Heading Up of course) No compass stabilized radar is necessary using this method.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 15:17   #657
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Simple methods like lining up stanchions or using the EBL line on your radar will provide enough information to spot a problem, small craft should take avoiding action well in advance of any potential collision possibility. Where it be become tricky is where you have traffic from several angles , and you are running out of searoom. At that point you may have little option but to follow the COLREGS. The worst thing is to start weaving about at random.

Dave
Old 08-07-2013, 16:29   #658

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Please tell us a circumstance where both boats are moving (a sailboat couldn't really be aground in a freighter's path that I could imagine) where the freighter would not have the right of way. Then explain why a beginner should be thinking that way.
A freighter would only have "right of way" when downbound in narrow channels or fairways of the Great Lakes (on the US side) or Western Rivers; there is no other case where it would.

Of course if your meaning is that the freighter has any privilege over the sailboat, then the answer would be that it does not outside of narrow channels, TSS, areas where it's restricted by draught, or any areas subject to special regulations. A beginner should learn the colregs and learn how to apply them from the start. A beginner should perhaps avoid sailing in challenging traffic until they've amassed a few seamiles, unless it's under the watchful eye of a seasoned master.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 17:26   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
A freighter would only have "right of way" when downbound in narrow channels or fairways of the Great Lakes (on the US side) or Western Rivers; there is no other case where it would.

Of course if your meaning is that the freighter has any privilege over the sailboat, then the answer would be that it does not outside of narrow channels, TSS, areas where it's restricted by draught, or any areas subject to special regulations. A beginner should learn the colregs and learn how to apply them from the start. A beginner should perhaps avoid sailing in challenging traffic until they've amassed a few seamiles, unless it's under the watchful eye of a seasoned master.
Right of way - US Inland Rules

Under the IRPCS a freighter would have be stand-on / have rights or privileges if

Anchored (dayshape / lights required)
Sailboat is overtaking
NUC (dayshape / lights required)
RAM (dayshape / lights required) (unlikley as that is due to the nature of work)
CBD (dayshape / lights required)
If following a TSS
Navigating narrow channels or fairways
In special areas subject to regulations
Old 08-07-2013, 17:46   #660

Boat: Prairie 29
Quote:

Right of way - US Inland Rules

Under the IRPCS a freighter would have be stand-on / have rights or privileges if

Anchored (dayshape / lights required)
Sailboat is overtaking
NUC (dayshape / lights required)
RAM (dayshape / lights required) (unlikley as that is due to the nature of work)
CBD (dayshape / lights required)
If following a TSS
Navigating narrow channels or fairways
In special areas subject to regulations
Add to that this is irrespective of down bound or any direction of current. The current is mentioned in western rivers or other special areas designated blah blah blah

Also. ANY vessel that is the 'overtaking vessel' is burdened. Ok. I let my age show. It is give way. ANY vessel includes sailing vessels anywhere anytime Anyone.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote