Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2012, 21:51   #601

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Freighters vs. sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulls View Post
Might is right. Cant be bothered to read Col regs at the moment but my understanding is that power gives way to sail unless the power vessel is displaying the shapes or lights saying otherwise. Also some harbour by laws operate in conjunction with the col regs to colour the debate.
Many/most sailboats underway are using their engines, so they're plain motorboats and shouldn't claim privileges of a sailing vessel. Also, a sailing vessel over-taking a motorized vessel gives way to same.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 23:32   #602

Boat: Skookum 53'

The colregs are a direct result from cases involving collisions at sea. This day and age, there is always apportionment of blame should a collision occur, no one is right when there is a collision. A lot of small vessel operators do not realize how fast a large ship is coming until it is too late, due to their size they appear to be slower than they actually are. The operational restrictions of large ships are such that it is almost impossible to turn or stop in a timely fashion when in close quarters with smaller vessels. It would be the utmost prudence to never ever pass in front of a large ship regardless of the stand on give way status at the time. Every officer on the bridge of the large ships is doing their utmost to avoid any kind of a collision. The safest for all concerned is pass astern of the large ships, or in a channel stay to the side and let them have the center. As has been stated earlier, dead right is just as dead as dead wrong.
Old 29-11-2012, 16:26   #603

Boat: Prairie 29

OK. Enough lollygagging. Getting the thread back on track requires guidance and direction.

The original topic was about some 'unknown' reason why freighters and sailboats come in close circumstances, with sometimes disastrous results. How to avoid and handle the situation.

This is truly a matter of life and death. P.S. Sorry for being melodramatic.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 16:46   #604
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
OK. Enough lollygagging. Getting the thread back on track requires guidance and direction.

The original topic was about some 'unknown' reason why freighters and sailboats come in close circumstances, with sometimes disastrous results. How to avoid and handle the situation.

This is truly a matter of life and death. P.S. Sorry for being melodramatic.
Oh, that's all people want to know? That's easy.

1. Post a proper watch.
2. Know the COLREGS.
3. Communicate your intentions.
Old 29-11-2012, 16:58   #605

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Oh, that's all people want to know? That's easy.

1. Post a proper watch.
2. Know the COLREGS.
3. Communicate your intentions.
4. Pray the other vessel does the same
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 17:05   #606

It appears that the real issue seems to be that not enough people are being awakened to this dilemma. How to spread the word? Ignorance is not allowed, but it certainly seems to be commonplace. How to educate the masses?
Old 28-06-2013, 09:20   #607

Silence............. I hope everyone is having a great summer, Enjoy.
Old 28-06-2013, 10:43   #608

I' haven't had a collision with a freighter, yet, (knock on wood). I must be doing something right.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 15:50   #609

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

This is an interesting subject and the way many of you think is a real insight. There is a similar thread with a view from the commercial vessels standpoint here. AIS How do you use it? Vs Small vessles.

In the end we're all out here together and all want to make it home unscathed. So keep a good lookout and an eye on the weather.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:30   #610

Just a observation... ColReg rules 14 & 15 (head-on and crossing situations) are specifically applicable only in cases involving two power driven vessels in sight of one another... And for that matter, all of section 2 is applicable only to vessels in sight of one another. Outside of channels and TSSs, by the letter of the law, a power driven vessel is required to give way to a sailboat under sail (ie without their prop engaged) with no regard to their sizes. In a uncrowded situation, most professional mariners will follow COLREGS without complaint (within reason - they're not moving for a 26' daysailer). In inland waters vessels required to operate in a channel have the 'right of way' in that channel, and small vessels should strive to avoid creating problems in a TSS (read ColRegs if you want to nitpick my generalities).
And 'stand on vessel' means just that; a sailboat under sail does not have the authority under ColRegs to tack and jibe down the center of a restricted waterway in front of commercial traffic!
That being said...
For a small sailboat, a danger of collision might be considered a situation developing at a few hundred yards. On a large merchant the 'danger of collision' zone is determined by the master, can depend on several factors but can by a few hundred yards or several miles wide.
Obviously the catch-all is rule 2 - Nothing exonerates a vessel from complying with "the ordinary practice of seamen or the special circumstances of the case." All vessels have to take the limitations of both vessels involved into consideration, and both parties are obligated to maneuver to avoid collision.
In US waters the safest and expected action is to hail any vessel whose intentions are unknown on bridge to bridge and ALWAYS monitor BtB ch 16. In open and foreign waters, when someones intentions are unknown, use sound signals.

I admit I didn't read all 40 pages of this thread... Sorry if I'm just re-hashing something already stated!
mkevink86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:49   #611

@MKevin86: You are correctly summing up the legal aspect. But the real issue is the determination of 'when a vessel has changed from Stand on to Give way.' As you mentioned, the litmus test for each is different. Sailboats (and small yachts in General) have a 'danger zone' of about a couple hundred yards. While large commercial vessels have a danger zone of between a half and 2 miles. My particular Tugboat is spectacularly manueverable. I can turn inside a quarter mile (if there is land room) But most large ships cannot match a yachts maneuvering characteristics. Even more importantly, I know of very FEW yachters who even know there is a difference between the two. This is brought up by my experience seeing yachts of all types running directly in front of, beside, and along commercial vessels, in such a way that if ANYTHING were to go wrong, they would be run over with NO way for me to do ANYTHING to avoid it. I have seen jetskis operating directly along side my barge, riding the wake. TOUCHING the hull. If they sneezed, they could possibly lose control and get sucked into the wash. I have seen small powerboats go UNDER the bows, to play in the bow wave. Sailboats, who I have altered course for, aiming past their stern, suddenly come about, and go back, across my bow (again) because they couldn't tell if I was going to run them over. I have said it repeately in this forum, too many boat operators don't have a freaking clue about general seamanship and boat handling. Just because you have the money to buy one, does NOT make you Lord Nelson of the Yacht Club.
Old 05-07-2013, 15:18   #612

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 15:41   #613
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Would you send your kids for sailing lessons at this Yacht Club ......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Regatta.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	63642  
Old 06-07-2013, 09:58   #614

Give me time. This was taken on watch this morning. Note the buoy just to the left of the mast. Thats the Green, I am trying to keep on my STB side

This guy is coming out of about 18' of water. I am drawing 23'. Where can I go, to NOT go aground IF his little old outboard gets a slug of water and dies? The channel is 400' wide. I am 80' wide. Who is the idiot here? (I know, I will be made out to be the scape goat by his decendents) BUT, really. Why would someone do this? One word. Ignorance. It happens in narrow channels, and at sea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What's that thing in front of us..jpg
Views:	314
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	63662  
Old 06-07-2013, 10:36   #615
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
It appears that the real issue seems to be that not enough people are being awakened to this dilemma. How to spread the word? Ignorance is not allowed, but it certainly seems to be commonplace. How to educate the masses?

I put it on my blog for newer sailors, because many who read it are in the Tamps Bay area, and it's a very real issue here.

The ColRegs are based on which boat has the most maneuverability. Since there's no excuse for not seeing a freighter except perhaps the worst of fog conditions, and since the sailboat is greatly more maneuverable, it is up to the sailboat to get out of the way and stay out of the way of the freighter -- or cruise liner.

That's just how it is.

I think the best way to communicate this is to not get bogged down in technicalities. Newer sailors don't know enough to follow such a discussion and it might cause them to stop reading and end up confused.

It's simple. The freighter has the right of way.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote