Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 21:06   #1

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Forums are great for instant knowledge,

Two days before I sank my boat, You weren't there. So It was my fault,

My steering cables exploded, Leaving me in a heavy sea and no steering,

I could go around in tight circles, I was almost on a very wide shelf reef, and The wind was blowing me towards them,

And there was no way I was going to attempt sailing into a beach in a small area surrounded by reefs,

So I rigged up a rope system to the Drive leg on my boat, lifted the rudders and got to the beach that way,
It was very difficult,

I anchored, I dragged, Changed the Crap anchor to the Danforth and anchored again,

It held, But after Bundabergs effort, A rock got jammed in it on the turning tide,

I stayed awake all night, I have 3 yachts very close, I need decent anchors, Both of these are crap.

Any way, the point of my story is this,

I am on an Island, 12 miles from a decent Port and Harbour, And I dont sail Very well,

So I am not going to attempt it with out steering,

I have a broken steering, Its behind the Bulkhead, How do I get at it,

I have my Laptop on Board, So I Google it, Broken steering on a Gemini Catamaran,

It came from another Gemini owner, A complete break down and installation of my steering on You tube, Put on their by another Gemini Owner,

The Video made my steering a piece of cake to fix,

Considering, I had to pull the Fridge right out to get behind it for the steering,
With out the video,
I would have smashed the fridge getting it out, as the screws holding it in, cant be seen,

The steering cables run through the boat between the layers, and behind panels, Just impossible to find,

Also found a hole that could be compromised in a very heavy following sea, Where the steering cable goes through the rear of the hulls,

It could actually sink the boat, I did point it out to the Gemini owners, Just needs plugging with Silicone, Or some thing, Bash a rag in it, That will do it too,

I was lucky, That the P/O had put the old Steering cables in the forward locker when he changed them over,

They had been sitting in salt water and had frozen up, Half a day later, I had them freed up enough to get me to Port Stephens where I could get new steering cables and new reliable anchors,

I spent all day Wednesday repairing my steering, But it was not in any condition to sail 12 miles in an oncoming very Black storm with predicted winds in excess of 35 knots, Which did level, Port Stephens, Massive Damage,

I read a lot of posts and threads, I pick and choose who I listen too, None of my posts or threads require a Hug or Abuse,

Usually it is what has occurred, I learn from the feed back, Positive and Negative, It opens my mind to reality, And ways to stay ahead,

I listen to Brain Dead Morons, Even they come out with Brilliant Ideas, Some times, But they dont know it,

Forums are very good, If you need to know some thing specific and NOW,

Kudo's to the people who do respond and in good faith,

I thank you all,

Cheers,
Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 21:51   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Forums are great for instant knowledge,

Great story Mr B,
Thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 22:00   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

You dont carry onboard that kind of short tube to fit in the rudder post in case of broken wires and keep going??
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:44   #4

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
You dont carry onboard that kind of short tube to fit in the rudder post in case of broken wires and keep going??
My immediate thought as well (emergency tiller), but in thinking about it I expect that maybe cats don't have them because of the dual rudder system (what do I know about cats? almost nothing). Still, one rudder would be better than none it would seem. pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:52   #5

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post

My immediate thought as well (emergency tiller), but in thinking about it I expect that maybe cats don't have them because of the dual rudder system (what do I know about cats? almost nothing). Still, one rudder would be better than none it would seem. pete
They do have an emergency tiller that can be used from either side to control both rudders. It can be used if one rudder breaks. Have not tried it (knock on fiberglass) but supposed to work.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:57   #6

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
They do have an emergency tiller that can be used from either side to control both rudders. It can be used if one rudder breaks. Have not tried it (knock on fiberglass) but supposed to work.
Not sure how it could control both rudders if the cable was damaged...again, I know nothing about cats, though, so maybe it could.
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post

Not sure how it could control both rudders if the cable was damaged...again, I know nothing about cats, though, so maybe it could.
There is a solid bar that connects the two rudders so you can control both. If the bar breaks, well then I got trouble... trouble, trouble, trouble...
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14   #8

Crossbar breaks:

Get out your emergency tiller and hang it on one rudder. Tie off the un-tillered rudder aligned fore/aft. Use the emergency tillered rudder to steer to your destination.

Hasn't happened to me, but did happen to a friend. Be sure to check your crossbar-to-tiller linkages, which is actually what broke in this case
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Crossbar breaks:

Get out your emergency tiller and hang it on one rudder. Tie off the un-tillered rudder aligned fore/aft. Use the emergency tillered rudder to steer to your destination.

Hasn't happened to me, but did happen to a friend. Be sure to check your crossbar-to-tiller linkages, which is actually what broke in this case
Yes, thanks! We did recently find the cross bar was loose.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:43   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Forums are great for instant knowledge,

Good post Mr B...
I remember the Thread you ran back then... as you say... all posts have value in some form... even if its just to learn who's talking outa their butt... leaves one free to concentrate on those who know what matters... elimination is the only route to problem solving... and logic the guide.
Each new problem should be looked on as a gift to improve ones knowledge... be it solved with your own logic... or someone else's.
Pass on the 'Good Karma' every chance you get...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:36   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post

Kudo's to the people who do respond and in good faith,

I thank you all,

Cheers,
Brian,
Am not terribly sure if this is a "live" event, or the telling of a past one ..........I suspect the latter, in which case I would suggest (mostly to others) that at least knowing how to access steering "gubbins" is prudent, and to at least consider the effect of a cable (or hydraulic) failure (or some other failure point) - that may well not involve becoming an expert fixer on every bit and carrying the spares needed, but it may involve being able to fix some failures, ensuring easy access for others and having a plan B to bypass the problem, even if only temporarily......and possibly a resolve to do some preventative maintenance (out of sight and out of mind only works so far).

I have no idea if any of that considered helpful or criticism.........probably both, which depending on reader.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forums, rum