Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2012, 03:21   #46
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd
National flag, big lager flag (red) and small pirate flag.. Two masts = more locations to play with
I regard all boats with pirate flags as having lager louts aboard.

Dave
Old 20-03-2012, 03:48   #47
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Flags - What Do You Fly ?

December a few years ago…. I stopped showing flags except for special occasions at marinas.

This was after being fined during arrival formalities in San Francisco for having a new but torn, Stars and Stripes, proudly showing after a very stormy passage from Vancouver.

We were all a bit torn after that passage!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 03:56   #48
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I regard all boats with pirate flags as having lager louts aboard.

Dave
You say that almost as if it is a bad thing.............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 05:33   #49
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
You say that almost as if it is a bad thing.............
Im somewhat neutral as to the societal aspects of lager louts, I remain determined as to my designation of them on boats that fly pirate flags.

Dave
Old 20-03-2012, 05:45   #50
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Im somewhat neutral as to the societal aspects of lager louts, I remain determined as to my designation of them on boats that fly pirate flags.

Dave
For me a Pirate Flag says "Children Onboard"..........Children of all ages . Sometimes that be a good thing , sometimes not.

And yes, I do have a Pirate Flag .........I inherited mine .
Old 20-03-2012, 05:52   #51
Nearly an old salt

well they do say the fondness for alcohol is inherited

dave
Old 20-03-2012, 11:23   #52

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
Pelagic..who fined you the marina?? Does anyone have that ability really? If so I know of a few car dealerships with those enormis ones that need to be fined. Js
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 11:56   #53

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearenitySail

The only signal flag I could find in the USCG safety requirements is the Orange Distress Flag. Federal Requirements

On another note -- if a group from a US yacht club were to charter several boats in the BVI, is it appropriate for them to each fly a yacht club burgee?

Also, would a YC officer fly his/her appropriate rank flag in place of the YC burgee?
Yes, from the top of the main mast.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 12:04   #54

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH

Yes, from the top of the main mast.
To be more precise, "an officers flag is flown in place of the owners private signal on all rigs except single masted sailboats, when it is flown in place of the club burgee at the masthead." Chapman
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 12:12   #55

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

USPS: "While points of honor have been established by long tradition, new configurations of boats, rigging and the like have modified these points. Using antennas, fishing towers, outriggers, sailboat backstays, portside halyards, and double hoisting are all new to the flag code. Even though traditionalists may think they are incorrect, these flag display techniques are appropriate today. If your boat's configurations requires you to use any of these techniques to fly your colors, do so, but follow this code to do so correctly." See post #2.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 12:17   #56

USPS: "In most cases, officer flags are blue, red, white, or yellow signals the are rectangular or triangular. The officer flag is worn instead of the owner's private signal on all motor and sailing vessels except single-masted sailboats, where it is flown at the masthead in place of the club burgee. On motor boats without a signal mast, an officer flag may be flown from a radio antenna, preferably on the starboard side. Fly this flag either singly or under an associated ensign, that is, below the corresponding organizational ensign (not the national ensign or the yacht ensign.)

"The only other officer flag that may be worn simultaneously with the owner's or captain's officer flag is that of a visiting officer of higher rank than the officer commanding the vessel. The visiting officer's flag may be flown from the bow staff (in place of the burgee) or from the port spreader halyard. The starboard-side halyard positions belong to the flag of the owner/captain; the port side halyard positions belong to the visitors flags."
Old 20-03-2012, 12:30   #57
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Pelagic, while US federal, state, and agency policies may vary, generally speaking if some uniform issues a citation to you, it has to actually have the specific violation, i.e. title and section of code violated on it. Not just "speeding" or "has a dirty flag" but a legal citation of what law you violated.

AFAIK there's no US federal law regarding display of the US flag that results in the issuance of any knd of monetary fine. Certainly not for citizens. That's a long and repeated subject of debate and discord here, but that's the way it be.

I suspect your "fine" was issued on other technical grounds, and would be real curious if you knew the actual citation.

Headline: "Militant youth group burns flags in local park!"
Translation: Boy scouts were giving old flags a proper legal destruction, as they do all over the country every year, in accord with US code.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 12:52   #58
Armchair Bucketeer

Over here you can shred the national flag and use it to wipe yer arse - and it wouldn't be a matter for "da Gubberment"......it's part of what makes us Free .....other countries take a different approach .

Probably why furriners don't tend to burn British Flags - as few here fundamentally gives a sh#t (that and UK not exactly important anymore).
Old 20-03-2012, 15:55   #59

USPS: "Avoid flying more than one ensign from a single halyard or antenna. On the other hand, when the preferred positions for an organizational burgee or officer flag are not available, you may fly these from spreader halyard, with more than one on a hoist if necessary. In such instances however, you must observe the proper order of precedence. If you must multiple-hoist these flags, no more than one flag of the same type or stature may be flown from the same halyard. Each flag must be senior to the one below it, except that the officer-ion-charge pennant may be placed above the officer flag when it is appropriate to do so. When neither the preferred location nor a spreader halyard is available, a radio antenna may be used. Never fly any other flag on the same halyard as, or on a halyard to starboard of, a courtesy flag."
Old 20-03-2012, 17:22   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Pelagic, while US federal, state, and agency policies may vary, generally speaking if some uniform issues a citation to you, it has to actually have the specific violation, i.e. title and section of code violated on it. Not just "speeding" or "has a dirty flag" but a legal citation of what law you violated.

AFAIK there's no US federal law regarding display of the US flag that results in the issuance of any knd of monetary fine. Certainly not for citizens. That's a long and repeated subject of debate and discord here, but that's the way it be.

I suspect your "fine" was issued on other technical grounds, and would be real curious if you knew the actual citation.

Headline: "Militant youth group burns flags in local park!"
Translation: Boy scouts were giving old flags a proper legal destruction, as they do all over the country every year, in accord with US code.
My dad - WWII vet and member of vfw color guard - used to supervise these boy scout flag events. They had a program to supply free flags to people with old tattered ones and then ceremonially burn the distressed flags.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flags