Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-03-2012, 19:24   #31

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
The good thing about a rainbow flag is it shows you are aperson of color fun and excitement. If you are flying it and a person who is gay approaches simply tell them you are not they will happily except that answer and not push to convert anyone!!! Helk you might just meet the best friend you could ever have. Just saying...

The Mrs. Of the Mistress

Old 18-03-2012, 19:28   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Flags - What Do You Fly ?

David, you're....What, a citizen of Jersey? Wouldn't that entitle you to fly UK battle flags?

Old 18-03-2012, 19:37   #33
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
David, you're....What, a citizen of Jersey? Wouldn't that entitle you to fly UK battle flags?
Battle flags are a big deal in some racing communities, especially among larger keelboats. Decades ago, down in Monterey, all the Division A boats had their own battle flags, and a proper racing yacht would always hoist the battle flag on the headstay foil before steaming out of the inner harbor. A great ritual. It was a big-boat way of saying, "BRING IT!!"
Old 18-03-2012, 19:41   #34
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Battle flags are a big deal in some racing communities, especially among larger keelboats. Decades ago, down in Monterey, all the Division A boats had their own battle flags, and a proper racing yacht would always hoist the battle flag on the headstay foil before steaming out of the inner harbor. A great ritual. It was a big-boat way of saying, "BRING IT!!"
There used to be a great tradition in Wonderblond's yacht club for the Wednesday night beer cans. If you needed crew, you hoisted your battle flag in the slip. Those who were trying to hook up with a ride would come down to the club deck at 5:00, scan the harbor for battle flags, and head for the boat they thought would deliver the best ride.
Old 18-03-2012, 19:55   #35

I've got a motor cruiser and am unclear where I should fly a national courtesy flag and a quarantine flag. The ensign flies on a stern pole. My boat has no mast, which leaves me with two options:

1) Fly them off a bow pole

2) Rig a line an hoist them up the radar mast which is 3' or so higher than my arch.

Any opinions on which would be better?
Old 18-03-2012, 20:03   #36

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The bow pole will work.

Many other questions previously posted could be answered by going to post #2 and visiting the referenced site.
Old 18-03-2012, 20:10   #37
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I've got a motor cruiser and am unclear where I should fly a national courtesy flag and a quarantine flag. The ensign flies on a stern pole. My boat has no mast, which leaves me with two options:

1) Fly them off a bow pole

2) Rig a line an hoist them up the radar mast which is 3' or so higher than my arch.

Any opinions on which would be better?
On a mastless powerboat, the quarantine flag replaces any flag that usually flies from the bow staff. Once you've cleared customs, the courtesy flag takes this place. Never fly a courtesy flag plus a burgee from the bow staff at the same time.
Old 18-03-2012, 20:26   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh, a personal "battle" flag. No no, I mean a real battle flag. A battle flag is a flag (not necessarily national) that is actually flown in battle. In the US, the Serapis flag, flown by John Paul Jones, the many variations of "Don't Tread on Me", one being popular and specifically authorized on USN vessels right now...

A real battle flag, not just a Type-A personality owner's flag. Most? nations do have specific battle flags.
Old 18-03-2012, 21:00   #39
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh, a personal "battle" flag. No no, I mean a real battle flag. A battle flag is a flag (not necessarily national) that is actually flown in battle. In the US, the Serapis flag, flown by John Paul Jones, the many variations of "Don't Tread on Me", one being popular and specifically authorized on USN vessels right now...

A real battle flag, not just a Type-A personality owner's flag. Most? nations do have specific battle flags.
Actually, you're wrong. What you're referring to is more properly termed a "battle ensign." You've confused "flag" with "ensign," a common mistake.

Battle ensign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "battle flags" to which I've referred are properly referred to as "flags," like an owner's flag or an officer's flag.
Old 19-03-2012, 05:28   #40
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

I thought Battle Flags were specific to each ship - but no idea where that thought came from ......anyway, probably something that is no longer current, kinda like declaring war before dropping bombs on the peasantry.

In practice of course giving folk advance warning of what is coming down the pipe is a tactical error - especially within the private sector, especially as wit needs to replace aircover.

But, FWIW mine will mean no quarter given, nor expected. and no prisoners. As me Missus used to say: "f#ck 'em" . Happy days .

One last Hurrah! from Wayluya wouldn't be a disaster - no matter the outcome. "You, Me, Everything" .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 07:37   #41
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bash, is it still an "ensign" when carried by land forces, as many were/are? My understanding is that an "ensign" is a subset of "flag", so when you're talking about the larger set, "flag" is still correct to describe them all.

David, you're right of course about giving warning. It is a long-standing western christian character fault to "play fair" "follow the queensbury rules" and all that noble rot, when sneaking up on your enemy and taking him down in one shot minimizes any possible damage.

Still...You could run up in a clown suit with a big pink polka dot flag, and clock 'em while they're still guffawing!

(You have seen the classic movie about the pink submarine, either the original or the remake, no?)
Old 19-03-2012, 08:56   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

(...) a Battle Flag (for use when encountering Pirates etc . or being a Pirate ).
;-)))

Or a towel over the boom: "PLS do not disturb!" ;-))))

Cheers,
b.
Old 19-03-2012, 09:30   #43

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
;-)))

Or a towel over the boom: "PLS do not disturb!" ;-))))

Cheers,
b.
If I only would have known this when I rowed over to the neighbors....
Old 19-03-2012, 11:33   #44

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
. . .is it still an "ensign" when carried by land forces, as many were/are? My understanding is that an "ensign" is a subset of "flag", so when you're talking about the larger set, "flag" is still correct to describe them all.
It depends on one's English. In the USA, I believe the terminology would be battle flag or regimental flag. In Britian and the Commonwealth the term is usually 'colour', i.e. Queen's colour or regimental colour.
Old 19-03-2012, 12:01   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

National flag, big lager flag (red) and small pirate flag.. Two masts = more locations to play with

Tags
flags

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: