Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-05-2013, 09:16   #16

Here is my list for chartering ...
Include GF in all the checkout discussions with the charter company.

When sailing I like to share what I see, what I am going to do and why. This gives the crew a stream of conciseness and ensures that they are in the loop when things go wrong. It also gives them confidence that I am not winging-it as I go.

I also discuss with crew what to do if a particular task goes wrong. Think - missing a mooring pickup. I think it takes the pressure off if they know what the plan b and c are ahead of time.

I use a tablet at home for planning. Then I take it with me to see my progress but I use paper charts to make decisions. Keep your head out of the box... Gps is great until you become mesmerized.

Reef right away
I think it is helpful for the crew to learn how to reef and it is comforting for them to know that there are options when the boat becomes overpowered. For this reason I practice reefing on all charters as soon as I can. Also I find that reefing is confusing from one boat to another so it is good to get the kinks out.

chartering is full of logistical challenges so I make checklists to keep track.

I like to find out what electronics are on the boat and look up the manuals online. Reviewing a pdf of the radar and onboard gps is something to do before you need them. Then I take the files with me on a tablet so I can search the files when needed.

You can do everything right, but in the end its the engine of the head that will fail.
Best of luck

mesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

bareboat, skipper

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: