Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 28-08-2015, 03:28   #32

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: First Solo After Four Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Are you back home yet?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yes mate. I got in at 4:30, cleaned and packed and off home.

Old 28-08-2015, 06:42   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I have lazy jacks. My battons get caught in them unless I have the sail dead in the centre.
I assume you mean when raising the sail. If that's the case it's a common problem with an easy solution.

As an alternative to GiLows suggestion, attach another line to each side of the lazyjacks so you can pull them towards the mast. Before you raise the sail, slacken the lazy jacks and pull them forwards. You can then raise the sail without getting the battens caught. I usually point just a little to one side, and let off the leeward side only.

Either tighten them again when the sail is up or leave them loose until lowering the sail if chafe is an issue. I prefer them up again while sailing to keep them tight.
Old 28-08-2015, 08:09   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I work with twin leash one tail long some 6 ft the other only about 2 feet long. I walk forward with the long tail clipped in and then I clip in with the short one at the work station.

My jacklines run from the quarters towards the mast where they cross over and continue to the bow. I can walk from the cockpit to the mast without unclipping. To go to the bow I clip the short leash onto the mast then clip the long tail over to the bow sections (both, as they now run parallel) of the jacklines.

Lazy jacks can be bungy jumped to the goosneck area so when you ease the lazy jacks they slide forward and you are less likely to catch the battens.

Many ways to skin a cat.

b.
Old 28-08-2015, 11:15   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I can't see how ' I' can reef on any point of sail. It would not move. The pressure of the wind was just too much. It wouldn't drop.

The second point you make is contradictory. What did you mean? 'YOU DO' have to be head to wind, or 'YOU DON"T' want to be?
Typo should read

2) you can reef on any point of sail; you do NOT have to be head to wind, in fact you do not want to be.

Downwind reefing can be tough. Keep your sail slides lubricated. Some boat have tracks inserted that make reefing easier.
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 11:22   #36

Reefing - C34

That's double line reefing.

To close that big slot, Google MAST GATES.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 17:04   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I too reef downwind BUT I found this is not easy and, quite often, not possible, in some boats and rig configs. Specifically, swept spreaders and/or big boats are a great no no and no when it comes to downwind reefing, unless they are in-mast (this mitigates the challenges in some cases).

Cheers,
b.
Old 28-08-2015, 20:16   #38

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
First Solo After Four Years

Downwind reefing is definitely easier with 2 people but I do ok alone with a few trips to the mast.

I head ddw, sheet in hard to center then feed out a foot or so of main sheet, go to the mast and use my reef winch to lift my boom toward my reef point. Repeat until I have the reef on my boom. Alternate slacking the halyard and pulling my down haul.

I find it easier than turning into ugly weather. My autopilot helps a lot when solo.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 29-08-2015, 02:33   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
I assume you mean when raising the sail. If that's the case it's a common problem with an easy solution.

As an alternative to GiLows suggestion, attach another line to each side of the lazyjacks so you can pull them towards the mast. Before you raise the sail, slacken the lazy jacks and pull them forwards. You can then raise the sail without getting the battens caught. I usually point just a little to one side, and let off the leeward side only.

Either tighten them again when the sail is up or leave them loose until lowering the sail if chafe is an issue. I prefer them up again while sailing to keep them tight.
a simple idea I can see working. Thanks for that.
Old 29-08-2015, 02:39   #40

Hi all,

Thanks for all these very constructive suggestions.

Re mast gates, I did google it, thanks for that suggestion. I didn't know what to google. But I like the idea of the following in the picture. So, I'll get some of that made up. That will go a long way to fixing my difficulty in reefing as the sail falling out, or as I did yesterday hauling it up and then realising half my sail was out of the track is half the problem. The following picture is what I have in mind.

The lazy jack ideas's are also great. simple solutions that I had not thought of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mast gates.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	108083  
Old 29-08-2015, 02:41   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Typo should read

2) you can reef on any point of sail; you do NOT have to be head to wind, in fact you do not want to be.

Downwind reefing can be tough. Keep your sail slides lubricated. Some boat have tracks inserted that make reefing easier.
I'm still confused with what your suggesting.

I, on my boat, 'cannot' reef on all points of sail. I definitely can't on most points in fact. Yes, I do need to be head to wind.. Why do you suggest not to be head to wind?
Old 29-08-2015, 03:02   #42
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: First Solo After Four Years

Congrats Rustic.. sounds like you had a fun time in the main..
Regarding the reefing and your eyes not reaching the hooks at the goose-neck without first removing the slide stop..
I had this problem so got some webbing and after feeding a bit though the rings on the sail sewed a stainless D on each side to the right length so I just drop the main and use the D on whichever side I am working at.. hook and hoist..
The D on the other side acts as a stopper.. hope you get what I mean..
Saves messing about refitting the slides when you want to take the reefs out.

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 04:36   #43

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
First Solo After Four Years

After reading everyone's experience with downwind reefing on their cats in an earlier thread, I tried it on my little mono. I break the same sail slug every time!

I'm also not clear why your main is getting caught in your battens. With the main sheet loose, the boom should swing so that the sail is into the wind as long as your point of sail is forward of the beam. This, at least, is the way it works on my, smaller, boat. When it doesn't work, in lighter winds and sea state, I can just reach back and pull the sail off the lazy jack to free the batten while hoisting. In heavier stuff, I wait for all the jostling and bouncing from the waves to position the main and then haul up quickly to get past the trouble point. Just a further thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-08-2015, 05:20   #44

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Nice Sailing Rustic, nothing beats getting out and actually doing it! You should (must!) be able to reef without starting the main engine. the suggestions you have had are good, and a proper mast gate like you are planning will help a huge amount, as will cutting the boom gooseneck track down so that the slides can drop all the way to the gooseneck.

Looks like you have slugs which are a prick of a thing for jambing when combined with full length battens, but with the sail luffing and maybe a tackle rigged to the reef tack you should have been able to drag it down easily enough. I often over-sheet the headsail to backwind the main, and help the boat self steer while I reef.

To help the slugs slide easier (if thats what you have rather than flat slides) lots of silicone spray works. Watch it dosn't get on the deck because it makes repainting very hard.. Best to go aloft and spray it into the track with the tube to minimise overspray.

Ideally a batcar system makes life easier, but something like these bainbridge sailman 400 slides on the battens might make a big difference for a cheaper cost than a full blown batcar system, with a new track. But I haven't used them myself, and a lot depends on the mast profile and track shape.

there is a lot you can do to help the slugs slide. In my experience systems 1,2,and 5 are more inclined to jamb, as they twist the slugs in the track, rather than pulling them down when the sail drops, experiment with spectra loops instead of webbing. If Flat slides can be used they work much better.

Here is a few ideas I wrote up a while ago. Maybe useful for you.

A 3 or 4 part purchase can be used to drag down the luff, if you can reach the reef tack. Or a line can be run through the reef tack and onto a winch. both are brutal solutions to a problem that shouldn't exist but sometimes it really beats luffing up into a big sea and can be the only way. Got to be somewhat careful you don't break things.

Leading everything back to the cockpit is not the answer. If the system doesn't work now it will be even worse with the lines lead aft. Fix it, so you can reef with it as it is downwind, then if you have a bunch of spare $ you can lead everything aft.

With a ketch, if the mizzen is set sometimes you can reef downwind by sheeting the main in and blanketing it behind the mizzen if it's set. You have to sail dead square downwind, but it can be handy in a pinch. This works well for gybing as well.

At the end of the day you have two problems, the setup, and your technique. It's hard to know just what's wrong without being there, but it sounds like a bit of both. If you get down Hobart way I'd be happy to have a look.

Cheers

Ben
Old 29-08-2015, 06:55   #45

Boat: solaris 42 1978

good read .. every time i take her out solo the wind falls off and i wind up motoring the rest of the day ,,

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: