Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 12:46   #1

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
First Long Trip - Jacksonville, Florida to St. Louis, MO

I plan on taking off from Jacksonville Florida this week to do the Great loop on my 33' Morgan Out Island.

I would like to ask a few question about the trip.

First do you try to sail ahead of a storm system or behind?

Should I have Sea Tow or Tow boat US?

Is there any place between here and New York that is a must see place?

Is this a good time of year to start this trip?

I will have more questions as I think of them.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 17:25   #2

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Hi, as to sailing a head of a storm, do so if you think you can stay ahead of it; however you may not have much choice and have to ride it out. As far as which to chose from, Sea Tow or Tow Boat US, I have no idea. I have heard good things about both, but I would imagine it is a matter of area coverage, and not being in the US I could not advise which would be better.

Is you Morgan shallow dafted enough for it going the loop? I hear in some spots the areas are quite shallow at about five or six feet, and can you lower your mast if need be? There is one bridge in Chicago that has clearance of about 19 feet.

As to must see places, I would imagine there are quite a few. Charleston, up the Chesapeake to Alexandria and Washington DC. There are plenty of historic places and you will be going through or near many of them. Stop over in New Bedford, for instance, Philedelphia, Boston, and Plymouth..

Finally, yes this is a good time of year to start, as you will miss the beginning of your hurricane season in Florida, and depending on how long it takes you to get up north and over to the great Lakes you might make the decent July through August warm weather in those parts.I am assuming you are going the anti-clockwise route up the east coast and over, then down the Mississippi, Illinois and Tombigbee rivers where you can take advantage of the down current all the way into Mobile. If you time it right, you could be back in Florida by November and miss the worst of your hurricane season altogether.

Asta
Old 05-04-2010, 17:44   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
Doesn't sound to me that you are ready for such a trip. I think you need more review of guides and get a better understanding of where you want to be and the time needed to get there. Sailing out of Mayport with out specifics plans is not a good idea, Just my two cents.
Old 05-04-2010, 19:43   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hi Dutch,

Congrats on taking off on the trip. Have fun.

I didn't need them on my trip down the ICW but I paid for Boat US and so far all my dealings with them have been very good. Also heard good reports from people who have used them. However the recommendation to check coverage up the river sounds good to me.

Keep us posted on the trip and don't forget you can always ask on CF for advise along the way.

Skip

PS I heeded your advise about the yard. Thanks
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, jacksonville