Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2009, 06:22   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I use firehose on the bollards, and cleats on the pier. I was able to run the line between the rubber, and outside material. This leaves 3 layers laying on the concrete, and one layer above the line to allow water to come in.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 08:16   #17

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
.... Accordingly, where practical, I recommend locating cleats as close to fairleads as will allow comfortable line work - or better yet, replacing fairleads with cleats (when possible).....
Me too Gord;

s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 08:38   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Faith: done 100% correct. Also, the line is done right: one full wrap around the base, one cross wrap (half a figure eight only) plus a second locking cross wrap to complete the number eight. Out of every 10 cleats I see, less than one have it correct.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 12:04   #19

Boat: a sailing boat
That picture - where did you get it from ??? Indeed - this is the way to do it. For a long time I thought I was the only one to do it korrekt ...

Yeah - the way you can see it being done can be a tru shokker - esp some marina staff tries and reinvents the wheel ;-))

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 12:32   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
One of my pet peeves. I just hate it when I see someone has macramayed their boat to the dock.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 14:20   #21

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Info somewhere

I will try to find the source. Came from a hurricane symposium. Any chafe gear that did not breath would be subject to heat and accelerated breakage. Maybe in here

http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/sym...WhitePaper.pdf
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 16:25   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I posed the firehose question to Practical Sailor a year ago. It was their feeling that using the rubber would contribute to heating of the line.

For our regular use, the Admiral makes sleeves out of scrap sunbrella, doubled. We burn a hole in it, and then use a small piece of line to secure it between the strands. They last about 6 months on the heavily strained docklines, and are now over a year old on those that get little strain.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:12   #23

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran
Re: Fire Hose as Chafe Guard

Best is to site your cleats, wherever possible, so the lines do not go through fairleads and have a direct pull without anything to chafe on.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 13:05   #24
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Fire Hose as Chafe Guard

The problem with hose in extreme conditions (huricane) is that the rubber liner prevents water from reaching the hose and cooling it. This is a problem with hose in general.

You can get fire hose material without the liner, which is great stuff. (amazon)

You can also get tough stuff from Chafepro. Very similar, but better. It is all about the weave.

And don't forget tubular climbing webbing. I've been using it for over 30 years. Easier to handle than heavy guards (more flexible to fit the chocks more easily) and available in more manageable sizes to fit smaller chocks. The 1" fits very nicely over 7/16-inch line, even extending on the cleat.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:50   #25

Fire Hose as Chafe Guard

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1683314992.859452.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	275047

Application with tubular climbing webbing, polyamid, e.g. X-TUBE 25 mm Tubular Webbings, on 22 m of anchor snubber made from 12 mm 3-strand polyamid. The webbing is quite snug and it has cost some time to fit or slowly milk the webbing down the 3-strand. But at the same time, it will nicely stay in place without a lot of additional fix needed. I used 2.5 m of tubular webbing to provide chafe protection on the line at the bow on one end, leaving 1.5 m without webbing for the very end and a cleat knot. Because the tubular webbing sleve is both long and snug, the final position of the knot is quite flexible. Make sure the location of chafe will still sit well inside the 2.5 m of webbing.

The other end has a figure 9 knot and about 0.3 m of webbing to protect the tip of the eye and increase its diameter a bit, so that it can safely be fixed with a clove hitched long soft shackle to the anchor chain.
jo_sail is offline   Reply With Quote