Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-11-2015, 20:11   #31

Re: Fendering for rough concrete docks

I agree with anchor off and dinghy in with a med tie stepped off the wall. This is how it's done in Radio Bay, Hilo, Hawaii.

Old 26-11-2015, 21:03   #32

Boat: Bavaria 49 Nikka

Fender board is the way to go; just don't make it too pretty!
We made up a lovely one 8" x 2" by 8' long; brass rubbing strips on one side, foam gym flooring (wood pattern)on the other side for when we used it as our passerelle and so that, if the worst happened and it fell of the fenders, it still had some softness. We drilled 8" long holes through it so a line with a stopper knot on the end would hold it without chafe. I then made the mistake of sanding, varnishing etc. etc. until it was so good looking we hated putting it against a wharf like Aruba.

Old 27-11-2015, 08:42   #33

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
Two things come to mind:

Tires make excellent fenders (and drogues BTW). You need to go through the Panama Canal. Usually they won't accept standard fenders for obvious reasons.

Fenders that have been punctured by rough docks can be filled with expandable foam sealant/insulation that comes in can. I haven't tried this one yet but will since I have several dead fenders and several cans of foam.
You can repair vinyl fenders with vinyl cement.It is sometimes sold as Above ground swimming pool or kiddie pool repair cement. Just clean the torn edges with alky,etc.,remove all air by standing on fender & glue the edges of the cut. Vinyl glue "welds" the original .

Cheers/ Len
Old 27-11-2015, 08:49   #34

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

If there are tires as in pic.,lay against tire with one or 2 of your vinyl fenders positioned horizontally between hull & tire. Use a mid-ship breastline from your mid ship cleat,around behind tire hanger & back to your mid ship cleat. Then put out bow & stern lines as reqd.
If there are no tires or other type of fender use a fender board & / or "big balloon type fender.

Cheers/ Len
Old 27-11-2015, 09:22   #35

Boat: Bristol 45.5

We have done well with an 8' fender board. If you have your fenders against some of these walls it can really make a mess of the fender. Using a board protects the fenders too.

Someone mentioned that the Panama Canal does allow fenders. Not true, we used fenders going through central chamber. Interestingly, the St Lawrence Seaway, whose locks are more than 700' long do not allow tires since they can fall to the bottom of the lock and cause problems. Some people use feed bags stuffed with straw instead. We have used fender boards here as well.
Still looking for our next boat. Have decided we want to have something that will keep us happy for the next 10 years or so. By then I will be pushing 80 and if i am still sailing that will be a very good thing.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 09:34   #36
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post

Someone mentioned that the Panama Canal does allow fenders. Not true,
What are you talking about? Sure you can use fenders but they don't work nearly as well as a tire. I tried some of those big round jobs but the tires worked better as they don't hike up like a ball or a round fender.
Old 27-11-2015, 09:35   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi. View Post
Fender board is the way to go; just don't make it too pretty!
We made up a lovely one 8" x 2" by 8' long; brass rubbing strips on one side, foam gym flooring (wood pattern)on the other side for when we used it as our passerelle and so that, if the worst happened and it fell of the fenders, it still had some softness. We drilled 8" long holes through it so a line with a stopper knot on the end would hold it without chafe. I then made the mistake of sanding, varnishing etc. etc. until it was so good looking we hated putting it against a wharf like Aruba.
You are not alone, I've done the same thing with the varnish and the brass.
Old 27-11-2015, 16:39   #38

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Fendering for rough concrete docks

I used 3", 5 feet long PVC with end caps. Ropes thru the end with stopper knots. Used two fenders on the pile docks in Florida. This is on a Hunter 356 and I had no problems. I have to go through 26 locks down and back to Florida from Kentucky Lake (with mast on a cradle) and I used two APC inflatable starting marks in two 55 gallon trash bags. Also have secondary 8 inch fenders for extra protection. Under normal circumstances, I had no problems and stay just off the wall and use the inflatables to correct the geometry so the mast won't strike the wall of the lock. We pivot in the floating bollard using the engine; forward brings the bow in, reverse, bow out. Locks AR not hard to do with proper technique that have floating bollards.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
dock, fender

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: