Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-10-2014, 15:47   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
re: Extended Cruising Anchor Line Length Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
What did you expect on an achoring related subject? Most effective way to start a fight on CF.

I might as well throw some diesel on the poo pile you created. ;-)

A lot depends on your boat and how/where you plan to use it. Similar to Cheechako, I usually run about 200' of chain backed up by about 150' of nylon 3-strand. Always a bit oversized for both the chain and rope. Keeps some weight out of the bow and has served me well for many years/miles in many different venues.

Whether you go all chain or combination be sure to inspect at least every season. I usually end-for-end both chain and rope sections and lop off the worn/corroded bits (normally on the ends) each season. I've seen some really ugly piles of rusted chain down deep in anchor lockers...having another 100' of chain in poor condition does you no good.

....wait for it...someome will post soon telling me how I'm doing it all wrong! ;-)
Rust only happens out of the water. I'd use chain for a mooring. I think you pegged it. Any chain is going to rust. Probably from the links wearing off the galvanization.

Old 12-10-2014, 00:30   #17

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
re: Extended Cruising Anchor Line Length Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I said I knew I'd open a bucket of ****. I'll buy your argument also, Isn't that what this is about? Next time I go to the south Pacific I will give it serious consideration.
The OP asked for anchoring in places around the world so there is no question all chain. he did not ask about your particular rabbit hole.

Cheers

Old 12-10-2014, 02:35   #18

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Extended Cruising Anchor Line Length Suggestions

Well, I'm to inexperienced to offer advice. But I'm a little surprised on the 300 foot (100m) recommendation. I got 200 feet (60m) as recommended to cover most places and then suggested to use another 200 of rope for a back up.

So far The max I've put out has been 40 meters but I've not anchor out in a blow yet.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:20   #19
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Hmm... many options will work in some parts or others but for a true one size fits all, the answer is simple (IMHO).

300ft (100 metres) all chain. Now I don't carry that any more but then I am no longer cruising all over the place - I get by with 50 metres of chain and 50 of line. I would not recommend that as a one size fits all solution.

FWIW, I have used 300ft regularly in Indonesia and on one occasion had to add 300 ft of line to the chain as we were anchoring in 200 ft of water less than 100 metres from the shore. Other times dropped the pick in 100 ft and tied the stern to the shore with aft end of the keel touching and the fore end in 20 ft of water. Boat was only 28', the drop off can be steep in volcanic areas
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:24   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, hatteras53, and AlwaysFORSAIL.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:22   #21

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

300' chain will do for most areas. Save the rope for your number two anchor, it does not wear well. I recently set a second anchor on a rope rhode for only 24 hours to keep my swing away from the only ledge in the anchorage and when I picked it up the first 30' was rather chafed from the rocky bottom. I doubt it would have lasted a week in that anchorage. Although I carry 400' chain, I rarely use more than 250' most of the time. FWIW-there is a step where my chain is stowed so i keep the rarely used half up above the bottom of the locker so it stays in like new condition ready to become the working end when I change working ends.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:52   #22

Boat: Various

300' Chain is our standard.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:27   #23

Hatteres, I completely agree with the all chain on your primary. Remember that it is much easier to outfit from your home base than if you decide you need more chain in some out of the way place. If you are going to order 80 or 100 meters of chain, you might want to look into ordering it with oversize links on both ends. It will make life easier when you figure the strength of the attaching hardware. It will probably cost more, but you did say that you wanted to sleep well. If I had used nylon on my first boat, it would be still lying on the bottom of the lagoon in Ahe. If you get your windlass, chain and anchor locker sorted out while you still have tools and a car handy, it will be easier. Good ground tackle is the best insurance any cruiser can have. __My 2 cents worth. ______Grant.
Old 14-10-2014, 09:42   #24

This is the owner of the 44' Nauticat

TO 1 AND ALL MANY THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to have started WWW Three over this issue.

At this point, I have decided to buy 400' of 3/8 chain and put it on the 88 Lbs Delta (which I understand is overkill for my boat).

Warm and personal regards,

Michael

P.S. FAIR SAIL TO ALL MY SHIPMATES
Old 14-10-2014, 09:58   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

'doesn't seem to be much disagreement here. Right now I have 280' of all chain on my 41'. I usually keep about 300'. I link shots with a pair of Crosby shackles that easily jump over the gypsy on my manual windlass (which doubles as my gym membership!). Every few years I discard a more corroded distal end and add a new proximal section.
Old 14-10-2014, 10:23   #26

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
'doesn't seem to be much disagreement here. Right now I have 280' of all chain on my 41'. I usually keep about 300'. I link shots with a pair of Crosby shackles that easily jump over the gypsy on my manual windlass (which doubles as my gym membership!). Every few years I discard a more corroded distal end and add a new proximal section.
Actually far less fight here than on the anchor itself, which may say some put too much emphasis on the anchor and too little on the line, rope, rode, chain,windlass and everything else. Chain can play a vital role in helping the anchor set and in strengthening the connection from anchor to boat so that the tension on the anchor remains consistent. Ease and speed of both dropping and retrieving are important.
Old 14-10-2014, 10:50   #27

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Although the OP's original question was concerning his heavy displacement 44' boat, readers should not assume that 300' chain is the standard for all vessels contemplating extended cruising. Light to medium displacement vessels 35' and under would not be able to carry that weight in the bows and would severely effect performance and safety(pounding into head seas and unbalanced ends)--especially those that carry their rodes in a deck anchor locker rather than below decks and closer to the center of gravity. To overcome this problem on my boat (34'/11,400 displacement), I use 40 feet of 3/8" chain with 250' of nylon rode. The heavier chain will keep the rode closer to the bottom and the potential for chafe is greatly reduced in deeper anchorages and rarely a problem in thinner water unless plagued with numerous coral heads. Anchors and rodes should be matched to the displacement and style of the boats. There is not a general rule that works for all boats.. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 14-10-2014, 11:47   #28

Boat: Catana 50

Don't mean to steal some one elses post, (OK yes I do) but the OP has already declared and bought what he's buying.

We have recently bought a new (to us) cat with 60m of 12mm chain, thats 200ft of 1/2 inch chain to most of you (had to look that up!). I want 300feet and reckon that if I added 100ft of quality rope for when the **** flies, it isn't going to chaffe because if there's a chance of it touching the bottom then 200ft of chain will be fine, the rope will be in the locker. My question is, how do you lift a rope/chain combination on a powered windlass? I don't think my Lofrans will do it.
Old 14-10-2014, 11:54   #29
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

Our Lofrans had a spring loaded pawl that holds the line to the bottom of the gypsy. I removed it because it makes a racket when it runs over chain links.
Old 14-10-2014, 12:10   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
The OP asked for anchoring in places around the world so there is no question all chain. he did not ask about your particular rabbit hole.

Cheers
I know with the grins and the cheers you where just being a friendly wise ass so no offence taken.

Seems since I've seen both extremes expressed. Over chained of chaffing because of no chain.

Back into the rabbit hole.

Tags
anchor, cruising, extended cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: