Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 13:21   #46

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Ever found a body?... I did!

Some friends of mine were day sailing in Southern California when they spotted a body, dressed in military gear, floating in the water. They called the Coast Guard and asked what they should do. "Bring it on board," the Coast Guard said. Even though they didn't want to, they did as they were told but when they grabbed the body, they found it was a mannequin with full military gear, some of it pretty cool. They called the Coast Guard back and told them what they had found. The Coast Guard did some quick research and discovered that the Navy Seals use the technique as practice and are required to recover the 'body'. "Okay," my friends told the Coast Guard, "but this is salvage and we're just going to keep it." The Coast Guard said they were perfectly within their rights to keep the mannequin but they ought to remember that the Navy Seals are still obligated to recovery that 'body' so not to be surprised if they showed up at their home on some dark night. My friends made arrangements to have the mannequin picked up by the Navy.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 14:36   #47

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel E Felt View Post
Yes It does stay with you. 34 years of police work you'll get more than your share. I guess the trick is to not bring it home with you. Now I work at one of the busiest hospitals in Mid Michigan, yup you guessed it. Stationed at the morgue! Sailing helps you to forget, or makes you concentrate on other stuff.

joel
i'm just going to respond to your comment about 'not brining it home'

What that usually means is don't talk about it, and that is the worst, absolutely worst thing you can do. Therapists know very well that those who see such traumatic events recover well if they talk about it. And the best person to talk to immediately about such things is a spouse.

The real 'trick' is to not to bottle it up, to keep your feelings in, to deal with it yourself. That's what you must not do.

Even when you have a job with lots of privacy incidents, you can still discuss the general with the spouse, best friend, work mates, and doing so, particularly if done quickly will go a long way to preventing later problems.

Many police, fireies, ambo's, nurses, and others working in such likely high trauma related occupations now have debriefing exercises immediately after. In some places it's compulsory.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 14:43   #48

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
No I wouldn't say I'm proud of it I was just curious. Sorry for giving the rest of the details about my trip. I don't think it shows any lack of respect on my part. My cousin wanted to take a picture of the body..., I told him that was not going to happen! After going through the whole, "you know that was someone's son, daughter, ect". He understood what I was getting at. The person is gone but the body still deserves respect.

I did find it odd, after we were motoring away how unaffected I seemed to be. It was just kind of like, "huh... so that happened". Then I made breakfast. What else are you going to do life goes on.

Yea it is a strange thread I guess, but from my point of view not the strangest I've ever read here . I was shocked when I posted on facebook to those following our America's Cup trip what had happened. A number of people said it had always been a "secret desire" to find a body?! Now that is weird!

Anyways just wanted to share my sailing story.
Two aspects increases the risk that it will impact on you.

Firstly, if you have a personal connect with either the 'event' or the person. So, in this case having a friend who lost their lives in a similar manner can have an impact.

Secondly, if you see too much of it. A friend I used to know was a police photographer. When he retired from the police force after 40 years he wanted to expand his photography into a hobby and small business doing weddings. But whenever he looked through an SLR camera lense he had flash backs.

If there is no connection at all, then it's really just a task with an object. There is not likely to be anything in it to impact.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 19:20   #49

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Bodies were caught in the eddy behind my office regularly when I worked in West Africa. It was strange that there were no interested authorities and the bodies were just allowed to float away.
Old 21-07-2016, 19:39   #50

Two of my friends found one that was in bad condition called the police who called the game warden while waiting for them to show up as told to do by the warden they discussed what elaborate method they would use to collect the body but were surprised when the warden tossed a line around the chest and pulled it away at about about 4-5 mph!!!
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 19:48   #51

Boat: Catalina 470

I'm a trained public safety diver, and used to work with the Cherokee County FD in Georgia. During training we had to search a lake with a blacked out mask for a child-sized mannequin. Even knowing it was not real, touching that 'body' underwater without being able to see anything was one of the creepiest experiences of my life. We did a number of body recoveries, but fortunately never had to recover a real child - not sure how I'd handle that.

-David
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 08:13   #52

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Since nearly all bodies are thrown in the Ganges it's not uncommon to see corpses in Calcutta. Government took to hiring untouchables to haul them into piles to clear the beaches for ablutions. Big piles of bones allowed a new industry of bone meal for cattle supplements. Britain buys much from India so ask yourself about 'mad cow disease' Only a couple of years ago Canada banned bone meal feed for milk cows.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 08:30   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Real good friend of mine and the guy who taught me cave diving, Edd Sorrenson is a diver and one of the founders of the the IUCRR IUCRR It's an organization of cave divers that do mostly accident analysis and body recoveries of deceased cave divers, it became apparent long ago that the local law enforcement agencies were neither equipped nor trained to do cave body recoveries so the IUCRR was founded.
Edd is unusual in that in the whole history of cave diving, four individuals have been saved prior to expiring in cave rescues, Edd saved three of those four lives

The Miracle in Merritt’s Pond « CBS Miami
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 14:04   #54

Boat: TBD

When I was in the Navy years ago, we got an alarm one night. A helicopter went down in the Persian Gulf with 4 or 5 guys on board after dropping off some mail to us. It was about 10 at night. From the edge of the hangar bay we could see a beacon in the water, disappearing behind a wave and then reappearing. Very creepy, along with a sense of being powerless.

We had some Navy Seals on board. They were able to recover 3 or 4 of the bodies that night. They were trying to do CPR on them but those poor fellas were beaten up pretty good. Our captain ordered the Seals out of the water due to the number of sharks. The next day a mine sweeper (I believe) came in to help find the chopper and recover 1 more body.

The emotions of that night stick with you for a while.
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 15:13   #55

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2244 View Post
When I was in the Navy years ago, we got an alarm one night. A helicopter went down in the Persian Gulf with 4 or 5 guys on board after dropping off some mail to us. It was about 10 at night. From the edge of the hangar bay we could see a beacon in the water, disappearing behind a wave and then reappearing. Very creepy, along with a sense of being powerless.

We had some Navy Seals on board. They were able to recover 3 or 4 of the bodies that night. They were trying to do CPR on them but those poor fellas were beaten up pretty good. Our captain ordered the Seals out of the water due to the number of sharks. The next day a mine sweeper (I believe) came in to help find the chopper and recover 1 more body.

I wonder if anyone found Bin Laden's remains? Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 17:45   #56
gpj

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
No I wouldn't say I'm proud of it I was just curious. Sorry for giving the rest of the details about my trip. I don't think it shows any lack of respect on my part. My cousin wanted to take a picture of the body..., I told him that was not going to happen! After going through the whole, "you know that was someone's son, daughter, ect". He understood what I was getting at. The person is gone but the body still deserves respect.

I did find it odd, after we were motoring away how unaffected I seemed to be. It was just kind of like, "huh... so that happened". Then I made breakfast. What else are you going to do life goes on.

Yea it is a strange thread I guess, but from my point of view not the strangest I've ever read here . I was shocked when I posted on facebook to those following our America's Cup trip what had happened. A number of people said it had always been a "secret desire" to find a body?! Now that is weird!

Anyways just wanted to share my sailing story.
No need to apologize. This is an unfortunate but possible situation for anybody out boating. Your response/behavior was exemplary: a very good lesson for anybody else to whom this happens.
gpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 22:52   #57

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Yeah I found the thread very interesting and it was tastefully written. Not sure why anyone would take exception. It was a good story too.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 20:09   #58

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2244 View Post

Sounds like a rescue I was involved in only it was in the North Atlantic, Chinook went down Force 7/8 we launched over the side at night in RHIBS one survivor recovered. The real heroes were the Bosuns Mate's who put us in and retrieved everyone safely.
Xdeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 21:01   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
Sounds like a rescue I was involved in only it was in the North Atlantic, Chinook went down Force 7/8 we launched over the side at night in RHIBS one survivor recovered. The real heroes were the Bosuns Mate's who put us in and retrieved everyone safely.
And the heroes often do not get the recognition they deserve...
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote