Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2012, 05:53   #1
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Ethics of the Big Delivery Companies

...Mr. Anstess, 55, was skippering the 44 ft. catamaran Catshot for yacht delivery company Reliance Yacht Management, based in Farnborough, Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Despite his warnings about the weather, outlining an alternative route and suggesting they lay up in San Diego for the winter, he was pressured into continuing. The three were killed when the catamaran capsized during a massive storm. Mr. Anstess’s body was never recovered...

full article here

Details of Yacht Delivery Deaths from 2006 Revealed | Cruising Compass

edit: oops more info in this link - including statement by Reliance Yachting

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Yach...ail/story.html

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 06:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Ethics of the Big Delivery Companies

i belive there are legal proceedings against Reliance,and they are no longer trading.
lots more info on Yachting and Boating World - Sailing and motor boats for sale, forums, news | ybw
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 06:56   #3
cruiser

he was pressured into continuing
---------------------------------------
why he did not refuse.... bit greedy for few more bucks.
and now blame "company". they did not point gun in his forehed and forced him to do that delivery
lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 07:37   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ethics of the Big Delivery Companies

Every delivery skipper is under pressure to 'Get There...'

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 07:43   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

here is another delivery by reliance in the atlantic that resulted in a death and loss of vessel ,for simmilar reasons,starting to see a pattern here

L&A Cruiser's Forum • View topic - terrifying Lagoon 380 capsize story
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 08:12   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The pattern is catamarans, sailing out of season.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 08:42   #7
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Funny, but since these two losses from several years ago (and which we have already covered in past discussions) I am not aware of any of the hundereds of new cats a year being delivered across oceans that have capsized, or pitchpoled. Or maybe I missed one....

Nevertheless, these are boats that are not equipped for offshore passages (no storm sails, no series drogues or para-anchors) that are being sailed into deteriorating conditions, in the wrong season, in order to make (or save) a buck and expedite the delivery. Good thing Reliance Yacht Management lost the lawsuit and that they are now (reportedly) out of business.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 09:24   #8

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Wasn´t there a Chris White cat that flipped a couple of years ago near Tonga?

From memory, it wasn´t a delivery, they were just cruising and got hit by a squall with no one near the autopilot or the sheets.
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 10:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Every delivery skipper is under pressure to 'Get There...'
Yep. I turned down two offers this year to sail down through the gulf stream during the storm season. Good money, great experience, and absolutely not worth the hassle (to me).

When you're a "merchant" mariner you don't have the luxury of waiting on good weather, and as long as vessels have been used in commerce the captains of those vessels have had to balance safety with schedules. Go too far to on either side and you'll either be dead or unemployed.

No one is doing deliveries (or even being a captain at all) for the money. You could open up a laundry mat and make ten times as much. You're doing it because you enjoy it, and it pays the bills. Being dead is neither enjoyable nor profitable.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 10:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Wasn´t there a Chris White cat that flipped a couple of years ago near Tonga?

From memory, it wasn´t a delivery, they were just cruising and got hit by a squall with no one near the autopilot or the sheets.
I thought catamarans don't capsize....
Old 19-01-2012, 11:06   #11

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

no, they flip!
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 18:16   #12

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

+1 Rebel Heart. When I was younger and more adventuresome (foolish, immortal, etc), I would accept deliveries of poorly equipped vessels, sail north on the west coast in January, sail shorthanded to make a buck but as I aged and gained a bit more common sense with the years, had no trouble turning down jobs and I'm still on the right side of the grass. I recall one client whose boat I took to Ensenada from LA then back again and did some local skippering for him. He asked me to deliver it her to San Francisco one February which I declined to do much to his annoyance. He left with another skipper he hired and made it as far as about 20 miles off San Simeon where the vessel caught fire and sank... thankfully with no loss of life.
With your attitude, you will live a long and hopefully profitable life. Cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 18:34   #13

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Yep. I turned down two offers this year to sail down through the gulf stream during the storm season. Good money, great experience, and absolutely not worth the hassle (to me).

When you're a "merchant" mariner you don't have the luxury of waiting on good weather, and as long as vessels have been used in commerce the captains of those vessels have had to balance safety with schedules. Go too far to on either side and you'll either be dead or unemployed.

No one is doing deliveries (or even being a captain at all) for the money. You could open up a laundry mat and make ten times as much. You're doing it because you enjoy it, and it pays the bills. Being dead is neither enjoyable nor profitable.
There are captain jobs that pay well enough...but making a living doing deliveries and charters aren't two that I would say a high percentage of captains do well.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 18:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
+1 Rebel Heart. When I was younger and more adventuresome (foolish, immortal, etc), I would accept deliveries of poorly equipped vessels, sail north on the west coast in January, sail shorthanded to make a buck but as I aged and gained a bit more common sense with the years, had no trouble turning down jobs and I'm still on the right side of the grass. I recall one client whose boat I took to Ensenada from LA then back again and did some local skippering for him. He asked me to deliver it her to San Francisco one February which I declined to do much to his annoyance. He left with another skipper he hired and made it as far as about 20 miles off San Simeon where the vessel caught fire and sank... thankfully with no loss of life.
With your attitude, you will live a long and hopefully profitable life. Cheers, Capt Phil
Thanks man. Glad you didn't get hurt on that boat, and that no one else did either. It's hard turning down money and everyone has to accept "less than perfect" arrangements to some extent, but that's up to every mariner as the level of risk they're willing to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
There are captain jobs that pay well enough...but making a living doing deliveries and charters aren't two that I would say a high percentage of captains do well.
At least where I'm at in life right now, I look at it as a skill that I can do while doing other stuff. Teaching ASA classes, running charters, or running the fishing boat making $100-$200/day under the table for some days in the summer (and not so many days in the winter).

It's hardly a way to make a king's ransom, but for flexibility it's hard to beat. Even if I was otherwise unemployed as a captain with enough other certifications (and a reputation and contacts) I can make maybe a grand or two a month.

That's without exposing myself to any kind of crazy nonsense, and honestly 3/4 of that is inside the bay itself. I'm not even having to deal with swells.
Old 19-01-2012, 20:02   #15

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Like Capt Phil, In my younger days I did a lot of west coast and Pacific deliveries.Back then if the vessel could stand up to my personal inspection( pumps, engine no major leaks,useable sails if needed) then off we would go either with crew or alone. as I look back on those days I sometimes wonder if the man upstairs had a plan for me!! LOL cus I ended up in some hellish storms hay Capt Phil remember the Columbus Day storm??? I sure do LOL, anyway I learded to say no by 35 LOl Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery