Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 19:50   #211

Boat: Junk rig Schooner
Re: Engine-less Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I like having an engine in my sailboat that can cruise at 7 knots if I so feel like it. And I will run it and motor whenever I feel like it and don't care what others think of it.

And that is all there is to a silly argument!
Why is it someone from the "go expensive, go complicated and go when you're old" set get upset over threads about.. cruising simply?

Why do they care?
Old 04-03-2014, 22:21   #212

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If they've been cruisiing a long time, and anchor in crowded anchorages, they do not trust newbies to have the skills to sail in and off the hook properly, or anchor properly, so they want to protect their own interests. That's one reason they care. We oldies "know" the youngies haven't had the practice we've had. Many, many people who have taken up sailing since the advent of reasonably powerful sailboat auxiliary engines have not bothered to ever practice skills under sail alone...EVER!

I think it's possible that the young have rarely really wanted to take in the wisdom of older people, regardless of experience.

We might get farther with the practice it concept if we stressed the sense of pleasure it brings, and the sense of competence -- and the fun! -- but that would be giving away secrets!

Ann
Old 04-03-2014, 22:42   #213

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Many, many people who have taken up sailing since the advent of reasonably powerful sailboat auxiliary engines have not bothered to ever practice skills under sail alone...EVER!

I think it's possible that the young have rarely really wanted to take in the wisdom of older people, regardless of experience.
The same can be said of people who took up sailing after the arrival of cheap GPS and electronic charts...

And many of them aren't young... they took up sailing after retirement, the first boat was big and the first offshore adventure was a rally...
Old 05-03-2014, 04:45   #214
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rottnest View Post
Why is it someone from the "go expensive, go complicated and go when you're old" set get upset over threads about.. cruising simply?

Why do they care?
Talk about someone in search of a reason to take a cheap shot. You have any other people you are stalking on the forum?
Old 05-03-2014, 04:55   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Talk about someone in search of a reason to take a cheap shot. You have any other people you are stalking on the forum?
huh?
One post and stalking now?
You're a piece of work.

I'm wondering about this forum, the conga line that inevitably lines up to tear down, for example the $500/m threads, and pretty well anything to do with cheap/simple. Not just this one where the OP just asked about how they do engineless sailing.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:52   #216

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Engine-less Cruising

Quote:
... I'm wondering about this forum, the conga line that inevitably lines up to tear down, for example the $500/m threads, and pretty well anything to do with cheap/simple. Not just this one where the OP just asked about how they do engineless sailing.
Gotta agree with that. I vaguely recall a thread about washing clothes by hand and before ya could get to a rinse, someone was offering a link to an electric washer/dryer.

When Indy was running "his" $500/mo thread he referenced a physicist friend who'd circumnavigated engineless, and he took the route less traveled around the capes. There's a guy too busy to get on the net, I guess, but that's a sailor I'd like to talk to at the pub. I am buying, sir, if you're out there.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:17   #217

Bashing seems to be an equal oppurtunity sport.

There are lots of posts suggesting the $2000+/month crowd is somehow ruining cruising.

As long as it doesn't turn nasty, I think a little back and forth debate is good. I'm sure a lot of folks get scared off thinking cruising is about dumpster diving for repair parts (Hey, I've pulled a few things out myself and we are no where close to the $500/m crowd) while living in a puddle of sweat because no self respecting cruiser would have AC or god forbid a generator to run it.

A little back and forth lets them know that it's OK to choose thier "correct" way to cruise.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:16   #218

I can see a sailor buying the perfect boat with a diesel back up motor and a full pilothouse and good heater because in the PNW the wind is not reiable but the rain is. So the gulf 32 might be perfect. And then the power boater buys the perfect boat. Must have a full pilothouse with good heater and sails just for backup when/if the engine has a problem and ends up with a.... gulf 32.

Guess what im saying is "were all in the same boat".

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 16:16   #219

Quote:
I'm wondering about this forum, the conga line that inevitably lines up to tear down, for example the $500/m threads, and pretty well anything to do with cheap/simple. Not just this one where the OP just asked about how they do engineless sailing.
Amen, brutha!

Sometimes this forum can feel to me a bit like the high altar of a topaz-encrusted temple to the gilden godheads of conspicuous consumption.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 22:13   #220

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
All those guys on battleships etc are called sailors are they not?

Coops.
In the U.S. Navy they are called "seamen"! (Or, is it "semen"? It's been a long time since I was one.)

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:45   #221

Boat: Skookum 53'

The whole point behind cruising in your own boat is; you go as you see fit. Why anyone would concern themselves with another's opinion regarding how, when, what, is beyond me. There is nothing wrong with dragging your clothes in a net bag behind your boat to get them clean, unless you leave them too long, they wear out pretty quickly. Nor do I have a problem with someone who has a washer aboard. Though I have a gen set, because I am a tight fella, I will only use it when absolutely needed. So I am installing large solar panels and LED lighting. What difference that could make to anyone else is a mystery to me. Engine - less cruising is an inexpensive way to go, it does carry some limitations, which could be viewed as opportunities as well. Depending on your mind set. It is not practical for me, but I know the value of being able to manage my vessel under sail sans engine, should the bloody thing fail. As a seafarer it behooves one to be skilled in all aspects of your world, if you are not, then you are a disadvantage when problems crop up, which is a certainty. Things have changed greatly since I started voyaging back when dinos roamed the earth, and in some ways things are still the same.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:12   #222

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The same can be said of people who took up sailing after the arrival of cheap GPS and electronic charts...

SNIP
Guess I am glad I have expensive GPS then.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 19:05   #223

Looks like the reason people are going engineless is by necessity, broken engine, no cash to fix it etc. No principle or religion involved. One cruiser I followed circumnavigated engineless only because he ran out of money building her, didn't want to wait another year. Built a yuloh and left.
Old 09-03-2014, 19:50   #224

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
So those folks who have motor vessel/trawler are automatically having an inferior experience?
I "graduated" from two decades of sailing (on sailboats with auxiliary engine, and enjoyed/appreciated the experience). Despite now totally dependent on an engine, I continue to enjoy boating.
Old 09-03-2014, 19:58   #225

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Guess I am glad I have expensive GPS then.
Expensive is , I guess, a relative term... the first one I worked with was said to have cost $50,000 and was as big as a small suitcase .... the last one I bought ( as an option with my AIS) cost $5

Tags
cruising, engine