Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2015, 10:17   #16

Re: Dynamic Climbing Ropes Used on Boats ?

I know this is an old thread, but a google search led me here and it seems like people who are pretty knowledgeable about such things are here. That being said, I'm going to jack this thread and ask about static climbing lines.

I was considering using static (climbing) ropes as halyards on my cruising boat. From the specs that I can find online, they seem to be as strong or stronger than similar size yacht braids.

Specifically I was comparing Monster 10mm Static rope to New England Sta-Set X Parallel Core 3/8".

The Monster line is stronger and less than half the price. Is that the "marine" tax or is the Sta-Set twice as good as the Monster?
m050120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 20:46   #17

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by m050120 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but a google search led me here and it seems like people who are pretty knowledgeable about such things are here. That being said, I'm going to jack this thread and ask about static climbing lines.

I was considering using static (climbing) ropes as halyards on my cruising boat. From the specs that I can find online, they seem to be as strong or stronger than similar size yacht braids.

Specifically I was comparing Monster 10mm Static rope to New England Sta-Set X Parallel Core 3/8".

The Monster line is stronger and less than half the price. Is that the "marine" tax or is the Sta-Set twice as good as the Monster?

I used to climb with my sons and brought my gear and ropes with me when I moved aboard.

While I have used my rope for various jobs including 50' 10mm dynamic for an anchor snubber, I have not used it for a halyard. I have 250' of black 10mm static that I wouldn't be afraid to use if the need arose.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 15-05-2015, 21:31   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I haven't done the research but how is the UV resistance on climbing lines?
Old 16-05-2015, 08:28   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Stretch is a major issue if using climbing hardware like ascenders or Mast/Top Climber. The stretch in even StaSet X makes climbing way more arduous and time consuming than it needs to be. Switched the main halyard to Dyneema cored line which made using the Mast Climber night and day easier than the old
StaSet X line.

Using other than StaSet X or other lower stretch marine ropes for halyards is problematic. The increased stretchability of the rope may have you constantly adjusting the tension as wind and other conditions change.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 17:32   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Had a friend rig his boat with climbing ropes once. He could get the climbing rope cheap and was new to sailing so didn't know better. Its was amusing...like sailing with rubber band rigging. No need to ease that sheet...it will do it all by itself in the next gust. ;-)

Climibing ropes are designed to stretch, line for running rigging is designed to have low stretch. There in lies the problem.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 04:42   #21

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

Well static lines are made not to stretch but I think the UV issue is the key. I also climb more than sail, but other than the anchor snubber mentioned earlier I can't think of too many practical uses for climbing ropes on board.
Old 24-05-2015, 08:22   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoater917 View Post
Well static lines are made not to stretch but I think the UV issue is the key. I also climb more than sail, but other than the anchor snubber mentioned earlier I can't think of too many practical uses for climbing ropes on board.

Seems like the logical conclusion to me too.

Given that there are many options for line made especially for running rigging, which have known excellent UV resistance, why would static line even be a consideration for running rigging? (unless you have a really cheap source).

Also, given that 3 strand nylon is well proven as a snubber material, is relatively inexpensive, and easy to splice, what advantages would climbing rope have over 3 strand?

Seems to me that the best use for climbing rope types aboard is...climbing.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 09:27   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Travelers. This is the one bit of running rigging where shock absorption makes a LOT of sense. Who hasn't jibed and gotten a little more "bang" than they intended, either the result of a mistake or a racer pushing to save time? Mark stop points that are 3-4 inches off the end stops and rigging loads are greatly reduced (ease to the stops after the jibe).

Not theory. Some of us have been doing this for years, and a number of highly regarded riggers routinely suggest nylon double braid; while not as impact absorbent as climbing rope, much better than polyester.

How is it underway? A little like a bendy mast, easing an inch or two in the gusts if it's strong, with out making the sail more full. Probably faster than non-stretch.

I tried this right after I changed from polyester DB to Dyneema (got it free, though it would last a long time). The Dyneema was like jibing against a brick wall and had to go.

Yes, I know that careful line handling is the right way. But have not heard a single valid reason why a little stretch is not better.
Old 26-05-2015, 11:30   #24

I went caving with a rock climber who insisted on using his own climbing rope, we repelled into a deep pit and when we were starting to ascend the rope back out he climbed 20 feet before he ever got off the bottom and everytime he got another bite on the rope to climb he kinda bounced, he hated it but my friends and I got a good laugh out of it. Dynamic rope tend to stretch 10% to absorb a fall and in the relatively short distance on a mast they wouldn't be any help at all.
captian ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 11:42   #25

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by captian ron View Post
I went caving with a rock climber who insisted on using his own climbing rope, we repelled into a deep pit and when we were starting to ascend the rope back out he climbed 20 feet before he ever got off the bottom and everytime he got another bite on the rope to climb he kinda bounced, he hated it but my friends and I got a good laugh out of it. Dynamic rope tend to stretch 10% to absorb a fall and in the relatively short distance on a mast they wouldn't be any help at all.

I've even noticed that with my 7/16" standard StaSet main halyard. At 110' the the line will stretch 4-5 ft. just putting my weight on it after clipping on the ascenders. And that's even after tensioning it a bit to a 'deck halyard organizer' at the base of the mast.