Well last night I had bow and stern anchors out and set in a tidal slough with a strong current and had a bit of a dragging issue. I had just a little too much slack in the rodes it seems and caused the boat to get just a little side ways to the current. During peak ebb the *&%%$ stern anchor started dragging which put the more and more of the hull
in the current, till the hull
was parallel to the current. From a past experience, I knew there was too much pressure on the hull. Looking ashore I saw that I was dragging.
The force on the rode was such that my only option was to bouy the bitter end of the dragging stern anchor rode and cast the anchor off. Lucky I got all that done before the bow anchor (down current) started to drag. So lucky me the boat settled bow to the current and held.
At 8:30 PM at slack tide I pulled the boat forward and recovered the buoy and stern anchor. BTW it was a 27-30 pound danford
I had used two anchors (and had used two anchors in the past with good luck) as It was a narrow channel and wanted to stay off to the side, without getting stuck in the mud at low tide. I had 5 to 1 or a bit more scope
and a hard set on both anchors. I also knew that holding was soft mud and sometimes marginal.
My fault was having just a little too much slack in the rode. It needed to be fairly tight so the hull would stay pretty close to inline to the current. The problem is once I knew about the problem it was too late for me to adjust the rodes. I don't have a windlass
and use my primary wenches to haul the rodes. There was WAY too much force on the stern rode. So much that it bent my stern roller (another thing to fix...)
I don't think I'll use two anchors in a bow/ stern setup like this again in high current locations. The potential for the hull getting a little cockeyed to the current are just too great.. I may look into a Bahama mooring
as that keeps the bow to the current.