Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2015, 12:19   #106

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Don't Rely on Mast-Top Anchor Lights -- Bitter Experience

Yet another thing I learned was that the Fortress anchor has amazing holding power. I knew it was good, but this did surprise me. True, the bottom, silty mud, was ideal, but still -- it was somewhat undersized for my boat (it's just a kedge), and it held about 70 tons of boats in a strong tidal current while the first steel fishing boat was tangled up with me, far above the call of duty, in my opinion.

I had a hell of a time pulling it back up again the next morning -- once well buried, it does not release as easily as a normal anchor.

And in the process I bent the shank So I guess I'm going to have to buy another one
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 12:34   #107

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Fortress has a lifetime guarantee. Shouldn't cost you anything if you contact them.
Old 19-10-2015, 12:42   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Fortress has a lifetime guarantee. Shouldn't cost you anything if you contact them.
Yes, but for a bent shank? Can't imagine that would be covered.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 19-10-2015, 12:56   #109

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Back a few years ago we were avid bikers. We belonged to a BMW group here on the net, very similar to this forum. A constant topic was how to prevent being hit from the rear through improved lighting installations. What was determined was that many things seemed logical and many implemented all of them. We studied all available information and researched every asset available.
In the end we determined that it was incredible how many police, ambulance, and fire engines were rear ended while displaying full emergency lights at accident scenes. There seems to be an element of the population who just are not paying attention at all. It was scary when the typical response was, "just did not see you". This condition was the primary reason we no longer ride, as certain death was the typical outcome of being rear ended on a bike.

We do display mast top anchor light. In addition we also use LED lanterns fore and stern, and anchor with all chain.

So sorry to hear of your problems Dockhead.
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 12:58   #110
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Fortress might find some PR value in having your testimonial to the extreme holding power and strength of their anchor. Enough so that they might just be very generous about "warranty" replacement.
Cheap enough to email them, and send a link to this thread.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 13:16   #111

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The folks from Fortress, who often post here on CF will indeed replace the bent shank if they follow their stated policy... and have done so in the past. I think that you are ok on that minor part of the repair bill, DH.

Jim
Old 19-10-2015, 13:25   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Never think for a company. Just ask.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 13:39   #113

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:

Even for a bent shank, they stand behind their product.

Have read that here on CF. Fortress posted in response to member's comment about a bent Fortress anchor.

Because of that I now have one standing by on the pulpit next to my Manson main anchor.
Old 19-10-2015, 14:06   #114

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Even for a bent shank, they stand behind their product.

Have read that here on CF. Fortress posted in response to member's comment about a bent Fortress anchor.

Because of that I now have one standing by on the pulpit next to my Manson main anchor.
Cool. Well, as I've written here several times over the years, it is certainly an excellent product. Not only excellent performance, but beautifully made and lovely to look at -- unlike most anchors including my much beloved Spade main bower. It has no competition at all for a kedge, in my opinion. That same anchor -- undersized for my boat as a bower -- which held my boat plus a 50 ton steel f/v, can be picked up and launched by me by hand. I have -- IIRC -- an FX37. It only weighs 10kg.
Walt Whitman
Old 19-10-2015, 14:14   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Re: #25 (Dockhead)

I use a Coleman lantern, very similar to the one you show. My approach is simple: Use the masthead light cos it makes you compliant. Then forget about about it, and focus on safety. My Coleman is battery powered (rechargeable "D" cells) and run up on the forestay to just above head-height, say 8 feet. If there is any traffic I leave the deck light on. There is no mistaking the illuminated foredeck and house for anything else. A curtain under the translucent forehatch lets us sleep.

An insistence that other skippers must be as competent as yourself is absolutely bound to lead to trouble. Practice "defensive boating". The men who make a living on the water have enuff to worry about without having to pay attention to Sunday-sailors, so I stay WELL out of their way, even when by the strict application of "the rules", they are privileged. As someone else said, "do something silly" to call attention to yourself. Whether it's a 12K ton ferry coming out of Active Pass or a towboat with three log booms strung out for half a mile behind him, I like to do two tight 360s in succession, then skive off for half a mile with my tail between my legs, away from the commercial traffic, then turn to face him and lie dead in the water till I'm sure we've understood each other.

Sailing at night in these waters I like to indicate, when necessary, that I'm a sailing vessel by the simple expedient of shining a torch onto the mainsail.

Around here, many anchorages have cans laid out permanently. I have never tangled with, or been interfered with, by fishing gear, but twice I've picked up a sunken, abandoned can. Such things are foreseeable, so it only makes common sense to have sufficient hoisting capacity, and sufficient cutting capacity, to deal with it, even if you only have the problem once in a decade.

TrentePieds
Using the Coleman is a good idea. I have one similar but I've not used it that way. Does it survive OK in the rain?
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 14:28   #116

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:

It has been a few years (20?) since I have had to have a Fortress replaced, but both times I had an FX37 catastrophically fail (separate incidents on different vessels- years apart) the company replaced the anchor with no questions asked. But, they wanted the failed anchors back for analysis. (One broke a shank, the other had a fluke bent 180 degrees and resembled an elf's shoe after it broke loose and sailed before catching in the rocks...) Both times a different anchor had to be deployed as the Fortress broke.

Fortress is a great company and make a convenient anchor for manual deployment from the stern or a dinghy. Also if used as main anchor in non-inclement conditions.

I still have 2 FX37's on board for their handling value as a kedge and med moor anchor.

Everyone's mileage will vary.

Cheers!

-Bill
SV Denali Rose
Old 19-10-2015, 15:23   #117

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:

Lessons learned:

1. Never, ever again, will I rely on a mast-top anchor light.
Because the guy that hit you told you he couldn't see your light?

• I wonder if that is why the fishing boat's radar wasn't working too?
  • Maybe the Watch Keeper on the Fishing Boat didn't se you in the dark.
  • Maybe they just figured no one would be using anchors in an anchorage.
  • Of course they had lots of credibility since they were trying to get you to falsify an insurance report.
Not seeing your anchor light on the top of the mast is a myth as long as it was properly installed and visible 360 degrees (Not hidden by TV Antennas or other things on the masthead)...

Don't believe me get in your dinghy after dark and drive a mile away and then drive back to your boat...

My anchor light is 65 feet off the water and you can see it 2 miles away and as close as 20 feet from the boat.

As a precaution, I also place solar garden lights on the bow, midship and stern, which act as marker lights.

For insurance purposes the person that adheres to the USCG Rules is the one who will be found not at fault. Mounting an Anchor light on you vessel's mast is about as good as it gets.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 17:41   #118

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

We always have the anchor light (LED bulb) attached to the inner forestay, which lights up the bow, letting others know which way we are swinging. Also have an anchor ball when in ports.
Old 19-10-2015, 19:48   #119

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Having been T-boned by another sailboat in broad daylight, and displaying our anchor ball, I'll just mention one needs a force field to protect oneself against fools and drunks [who may be the same people].

Dockhead's case is sadder, in a way, someone wanting to come help--and kablowie! what a shame.

Ann
Old 19-10-2015, 20:03   #120

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post

For insurance purposes the person that adheres to the USCG Rules is the one who will be found not at fault. Mounting an Anchor light on you vessel's mast is about as good as it gets.
I doubt that USCG Rules have much bearing in the Solent
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, enc, mast