Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2017, 10:47   #31

Boat: Grampian 26
Re: Don't push on stanchions! Here's why...

I've removed mine for safety reasons. Now people have to use the shrouds.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 11:03   #32

Boat: Lagoon 450

See this all too often....hanging off fenders from life lines or the top of stanchions. Again, they are not designed for this pulling load when a boat rocks and is squeezed next to wall, dock or another boat. Tie off your fenders at the base of your stanchions.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 11:06   #33

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by astokel View Post
I've removed mine for safety reasons. Now people have to use the shrouds.
Just did the same. I also like the looks without life lines.
Old 26-03-2017, 11:15   #34

The big question is why do people accept the overpriced crap like the OP's stanchion bases. The old cast wilcox bronze bases were strong enough to not do that bending.
Build the things strong enough in the first place, weak decks are a separate issue.
mk
mkriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 11:16   #35

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

I respectfully disagree here. As was mentioned by a few others. If your stanchion bases are so lightly built that a person using them to step aboard cases the base to bend you have crap stanchion bases and your lifelines are too loose. They should be taught enough to not let the stanchion bend that far in the first place. Mine make a nice twang when plucked and that's the way I've set up all my boats. If the deck is cored and it fails because of someone using it as a hand rail again I think you have a problem. With the core not people using g the lifeline. They should be able to handle these loads. What are we talking about maybe 200-300lbs shock loads on the end of the stanchion translated over a 3-4ft I lever to the base. Now there is one person I know that I'd ask to use excess caution as they are over 400lbs.

My lifelines catch me in the upper thigh on my 36ft boat and I'm 6'2 how short are the lifelines some of you are talking about? Under 24 inches to catch you behind the knee?

I understand it's you're boat and you can have your own rules but I'm not seeing the logic here. You either need better backing plates than what's there, and or better bases. The one shown by the OP looks like really thin sheet metal to me. Mine are chromed bronze but my boats a 1973 so most my stuff is. So my boats 43 years old. Stanchion I can pretty well say have been used as handholds ECT for easily the last 30 years. I No deck damage, no core damage, no bent stanchions. I've used them to practice hauling myself out of the water too. I've had two friend while at anchor swimming try and jump and clear them on the cabin top... :-( Some very sore toes and a loud twanging but nothing catastrophic. I guess I just have good backing plates and bases.

I do believe they represent a safety feature. Certainly not a replacement for harness and tethers but as a last ditch grab rail as a last resort. I know I've been saved by one set while racing. The wind piped up while I was stowing the spin pole after rounding the mark on a Farr Dickerson 37. Before the day had been relatively calm and no harnesses were in use but I did have a inflatable PDF on. Before so knew it the deck was sloped past 45 degrees and me and the carbon fiber spin pole we're headed for the drink pretty quick. With one hand I made a grab at the lifeline as I was slipping through ( of course being a good Bowman the other wasn't letting go of that pole unless I was in the water and it was life or death!). The lines kept me aboard the boat which is safety rule number one stay on board.
Old 26-03-2017, 11:17   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
See this all too often....hanging off fenders from life lines or the top of stanchions. Again, they are not designed for this pulling load when a boat rocks and is squeezed next to wall, dock or another boat. Tie off your fenders at the base of your stanchions.
Or, better yet, IMO, is to follow the advice posted here on how to make the stanchions strong enough to handle a reasonable load without crushing the deck.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 11:23   #37

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
Tie fenders to the toe rail, if you have a modern toe rail with holes. Otherwise, tie fenders to deck fittings.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 11:35   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Or, better yet, IMO, is to follow the advice posted here on how to make the stanchions strong enough to handle a reasonable load without crushing the deck.
Agree I tie fenders to the lifeline all the time not an issue. I would think the weak point in any fender and rope tied to a lifeline would be the rope pulling out of the fender. If it's the other way around and the stanchion goes through the deck you had a problem way more involved than where to tie the lifeline.
Old 26-03-2017, 11:39   #39

I'd also say that if I were going g to do any ocean crossing my upgrade list would include solid SS tube lifelines. Also the netting but that's more for the kids than me. Side not had friends with a steel boat remove the netting when the kids were old enough. 3 years later it was back on for all the tools hats sunglasses ECT it saved over the 10 plus years it was on.
Old 26-03-2017, 12:15   #40

Boat: 10' surfboard

Decorative lifelines are full of promise, but deliver misery quite often, but there are some small positive aspects to them

height is at knee level when standing, but hunkered down crawling forward while praying, right at nose level

Decorative lifelines come in handy for securing a hanked headsail during spin run. or alternate hanked foresails at the ready for routine screwing around. in variable winds

salty item to hang stuff like man overboard throw floats or the bent coat hangar gimbaled drink holder

A bit of netting forward may prevent doused headsail from going for a swim

If a tumble from windward is stopped before going completely overboard, tearing up a little deck and some stainless is a fair trade off.

Good for weather cloths around cockpit to give that voyager look

Stanchion bases make good places for impromtu block to run a sheet fair

a little foam roll and now you have backrests on racing cockpits

They make great handles for helping people at the dock and boarding
nematon785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 13:05   #41

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A little story:

On a 30 ft. boat with lifelines, hence, also, stanchions. Sudden round up, under spinnaker, and there I was floating. I was glad to have a stanchion to grab onto. Maybe the skipper was glad, too, saved him having to go back for me. Ruined my sea boots, too!

So I guess I'll have to go in the group that says you shouldn't count on them, but you should maintain them, in case they are needed.

Ann
Old 26-03-2017, 13:09   #42

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
A friend had little signs engraved "DO NOT LEAN ON THE LIFELINES" that he hangs facing out when docked.
I would not want to own a boat which needs signs like that, or has stanchions which can bend that easily.
If it can bend from docking, what the heck do you think it will do when you are thrown against it in the process of being knocked overboard?
Even if you are attached via tether to a jackline, all of a sudden you're being dragged along the side, thanks to a weenie stanchion.

THESE are real stanchions on a Lord Nelson and they're waist high, NOT knee high and they're bolted into solid glass bullwarks.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 13:14   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

So I guess I'll have to go in the group that says you shouldn't count on them, but you should maintain them, in case they are needed.

Ann
they need to be fit for purpose, dependable
if not, remove
Old 26-03-2017, 13:58   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
they need to be fit for purpose, dependable
if not, remove
I'd say of not, upgrade!
Old 26-03-2017, 14:23   #45

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

Seriously people, if you don't like or trust your lifeline system, Change It! It is a lot cheaper than trying to replace a friend or family member

jewt
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote