Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2017, 06:39   #1

Boat: Valiant 40
Don't push on stanchions! Here's why...

I see it every day. A boat pulls up to a dock and someone grabs a stanchion to fend it off or ease it in, or to just hold it. Or crew grab one to pull themselves up onto a boat.

They're not made for that, and here's illustrated proof of why it's a bad idea.

I'm refitting my deck, and am in the process of taking off every scrap of hardware, including the stanchions, which have not been off in 31 years.

Here's the base of one, the outboard side of the mounting flange. It's bent up a bit from repeated stress on it. I can thank the previous owner for this as I'm a bit of a nazi about not letting anyone abuse them, and have been known to bark at fuel dock employees who don't seem to know any better:

And here's where it was mounted. Dodged a bullet! Any additional bending or failure of the sealant would have resulted in water penetration into the deck.

On another one I pulled I was not so lucky and need to dig out a bit of rotted core from one bolt hole.

Even if your stanchions are mounted on a toe rail, it's just a bad idea to grab them and use them to horse the boat or yourself around. You're basically pulling on a lever that somewhere or other is going to stress some bedding in a bad way.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 06:48   #2

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: Don't push on stanchions! Here's why...

You are absolutely right.
Have had to educate many well meaning dock helpers.
It's amazing how many are not aware.
Thanks for posting this!
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 06:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Don't push on stanchions! Here's why...

I always use the shrouds.. for fending off, boarding.. and to lean against when peeing..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 07:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
.. and to lean against when peeing..
I won't tell that to your clients with inboard shrouds, lol
Old 26-03-2017, 07:15   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Don't push on stanchions! Here's why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I won't tell that to your clients with inboard shrouds, lol

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 07:21   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I see it every day. A boat pulls up to a dock and someone grabs a stanchion to fend it off or ease it in, or to just hold it. Or crew grab one to pull themselves up onto a boat.

They're not made for that, and here's illustrated proof of why it's a bad idea.

I'm refitting my deck, and am in the process of taking off every scrap of hardware, including the stanchions, which have not been off in 31 years.

Here's the base of one, the outboard side of the mounting flange. It's bent up a bit from repeated stress on it. I can thank the previous owner for this as I'm a bit of a nazi about not letting anyone abuse them, and have been known to bark at fuel dock employees who don't seem to know any better:

And here's where it was mounted. Dodged a bullet! Any additional bending or failure of the sealant would have resulted in water penetration into the deck.

On another one I pulled I was not so lucky and need to dig out a bit of rotted core from one bolt hole.

Even if your stanchions are mounted on a toe rail, it's just a bad idea to grab them and use them to horse the boat or yourself around. You're basically pulling on a lever that somewhere or other is going to stress some bedding in a bad way.
Have you thought of replacing the core around the bolt holes with epoxy? I drill these up to a size so that the small Dremel drum sander fits in, then use that so sand more core away, tape the bottom closed and use a syringe with syrup consistency epoxy thickened with colloidal silica to fill them. Next day, simply drill new holes through the epoxy and bed the stanchion down

Besides the overnight cure, this takes about 10 minutes per stanchion after a couple to get the tools and supplies together.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 07:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Have you thought of replacing the core around the bolt holes with epoxy? I drill these up to a size so that the small Dremel drum sander fits in, then use that so sand more core away, tape the bottom closed and use a syringe with syrup consistency epoxy thickened with colloidal silica to fill them. Next day, simply drill new holes through the epoxy and bed the stanchion down

Besides the overnight cure, this takes about 10 minutes per stanchion after a couple to get the tools and supplies together.
That is the plan. Unfortunately, since this is a full deck refit, we're talking about probably @ 200-300 holes (lost count lol). It's going to take awhile.

I'm going to use various diameter straight dremel routing bits, sized to the existing holes instead of oversizing the hole in the glass. Saves a step and keeps the laminate top skin as intact as possible.

I'm actually a bit irked that I've found balsa under the stanchions. I would have thought/hoped that they had cored those areas with plywood. The epoxy core will help support the core during tightening down the new fixtures and prevent compression/crushing of the core.

Old 26-03-2017, 08:19   #8

Boat: Catalina 320

A friend had little signs engraved "DO NOT LEAN ON THE LIFELINES" that he hangs facing out when docked.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 08:32   #9

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
I'm going to use various diameter straight dremel routing bits, sized to the existing holes instead of oversizing the hole in the glass. Saves a step and keeps the laminate top skin as intact as possible.
We have just bent a few different sizes of 16 penny nails in a L shape to dig out the coring from mounting hardware drilled holes.

Works really well and they are easy to make just the size you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diy-4.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	143977   Click image for larger version

Name:	hole after cleaning out with bent nail.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	143978  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 08:35   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
That is the plan. Unfortunately, since this is a full deck refit, we're talking about probably @ 200-300 holes (lost count lol). It's going to take awhile.

I'm actually a bit irked that I've found balsa under the stanchions. I would have thought/hoped that they had cored those areas with plywood. The epoxy core will help support the core during tightening down the new fixtures and prevent compression/crushing of the core.

FYI- When you re-bed the stanchions, and any thing else for that matter, take a countersink bit and bevel out each hole before you put on caulking. Just a little 1/8" bevel, so when you tighten down the fitting there is somewhere for caulk to go. Sorta makes an "o" ring of sealant around the hole and it'll never leak. If you need to tighten it later for some reason, get someone to hold the head of the fastener, and tighten the nut from underneath. An old man told me that decades ago (I'm the old man now...) and I've done it ever since. Never had a leak yet...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 08:35   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ah, the skipper's privilege. Also known as "signalling the fleet".
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 08:36   #12

Boat: Knysna 480

Great that you published this advice. Always telling people not to grab stanchions and lifelines.....just not made for that. Good luck with your project.
Sailingveterinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 08:43   #13

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingveterinarian View Post
Great that you published this advice. Always telling people not to grab stanchions and lifelines.....just not made for that. Good luck with your project.
So what are they made for? I presume the answer is "something to grab onto just before you are washed overboard." So are they adequate for that, or are you just overboard hanging on to a mess of lifelines and ripped loose stanchions? Why aren't these things installed with decent bolts and backing plates?
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 08:51   #14

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik

I know I will not be popular for this, but as devil's advocate, why are they called "lifelines"? If they are not strong enough to take a little push from a dock boy, how are they going to hold up when you need them most?
One of the advantages of a steel hull is that things like stanchion bases can easily be strong enough to take this kind of abuse.
On fibreglass hulls, I have seen stanchions bolted down with very substantial bases, and joined to solid toe rails in such a way as to be very secure.
I agree that it is not good if they bend, or flex the base flange when leaned on. Why do we accept this kind of construction? (Rhetorical question!)
Old 26-03-2017, 08:53   #15

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

Stanchion bases should be thru bolted with solid ss backing plates and it really helps to drive an 7/8th (22mm for those outside the US of A) piece of ss inside for added reinforcement. This has work great on my boat for the last 15 years. I also have 1 inch ss for my lifeline forward of the cockpit. You can lean against them without worry.

jewt

S/V Bifrost

'69 Morgan 41 K/CB
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote