Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2010, 00:54   #16
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
Me?? I'm the one for asking daft questions, so here goes - OK, so if it's easier to drive in forwards, why don't you just drive in forwards?? This is one of the (few) debates I ever won with my hubby, who'd rather reverse in so it's easier to get out.

I won it on the basis that if the conditions pick up whilst I'm at sea, I need to get back in anyway - so make the return easier. Whereas, if the conditions are too yukky for reversing out, then we can just have a cup of tea instead, and we don't need to worry about getting back safely cos we're not going anywhere!
No No No, thats far too logical, Its a male thing, we need an increased degree of difficulty for masculine pride
NDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 03:06   #17

I'd get some practice of using reverse with the rudder centred to get some momentum and then switch the engine to neutral so you avoid the propwalk while steering sternwards.

Then you should be able to start your reverse upwind of your slip at an angle with the bow pointing at about 45 Degrees into the wind. Get some momentum on the boat going backwards with a good burst of reverse, then stay in neutral as you move backwards and steer. The wind will straighten the boat up as you reverse into the slip.
YourOldNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 03:16   #18

Boat: Oceanis 411
drive in with speed and use a brake line perhaps
works for me
Old 28-06-2010, 03:34   #19

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
My boat is much smaller (30ft) but has a fin keel and skeg hung rudder. After many attempts at backing, I had thought that it would be better to begin backing with the rudder in the middle, until I got some flow across it, and then try to steer. But, mine just doesn't work that way. Lately I have started backing with the rudder hard to starboard, to fight the propwalk. As I begin to reverse it will stay rather straight and even turn slightly to starboard. At that time, I am free to steer, but always with the wheel / rudder somewhat to starboard from center. If I actually steered to port, it would turn that way quite quickly with the rudder and prop walk combined.
s to your situation, I would save myself the grief, and dock bow in. Try hanging something soft over the stern to break the pattern of waves slapping while docked. Experiment with different things till something works. Add a fan for white noise.
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Docking