Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-07-2009, 14:30   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
What I do in the cat is stop the boat parallel to where I want to put her.
Would not work on a Catalac with a single engine at the far end of the marina, with a tight turn at the end and a narrow passage. You need the speed to get through the wind with a turn tight enough to be able to move towards the berth rather than just be blown off Good series of aricles in PBO jan and Feb 2006 shows what I mean.

Old 19-07-2009, 14:47   #32
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
This was a reply to Mark. He stated everytime is different because he is on the move. It is also what I used in my mono when I was someplace unfamiliar. It may not work for every situation, but it will for most. Patience is maybe another word to describe what I do?.........i2f

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 15:22   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
I2f

Recognised what you were saying, and in a mono, I definitely do the softly softly approach I was asked why (when I did my yachtmaster in a mono) and I answered - because I can! But the point I was trying to make (very badly) was that approach techniques MUST take into account the handling techniques of that particular craft. One of the best reasons for riding someone else's boat is to see how the boat handles differently. Thus you eventually can correlate the behaviour of one boat with something else you have helmed.

My old catalac handles very similarly in fact to a single outdrive motor boat.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:17   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"What I don't get is why people seem to think they need to rush into their slip?" Well... it does depend on the conditions, A boat with no headway or speed less than than the prevailing current is a boat out of control... If conditions allow, simply glide slowly into place for sure (I love it when that happens!) It's all about the variables I guess.. in the example above in Nassau, if I hadnt done what I did, I would have ended up with my beam on 3 sterns with 5 knots current pushing me into them! Personally, I'd rather ride my bow up on the dock if it comes to that than damage three other boats in a foreign country...
Old 20-07-2009, 13:18   #35

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
I wish I had prop walk. My Amazon 44 is a bit odd in this respect: 3-blade Max Prop at the trailing edge of modified fin keel, then a lonnnnnng gaposis followed by a skeg-hung rudder. What this means, essentially, is that to turn in reverse I need steerageway.

Docking in 30 knots on Saturday, I was lucky to have the wind on the nose, but even then (and with 5 people on the dock helping) I had a brief scary moment at 45 degrees before powering back in straight.

Lusting for a bow thruster, even though some folks say the need diminishes as you come to know your boat.

Photo below is pre-purchase; she is now named Nomadness (link is to a walkthrough article).

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hanging-2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	9022  
Old 20-07-2009, 14:02   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, My Tanton 44 was the same way, prop exited the long fin. Skeg Rudder. Engine midships. It would walk though if you thrust it hard enough!
Old 20-07-2009, 14:12   #37

I'll try it with more vigor next time I'm out. So far, my impression is that backing is at the whim of wind and current, though forward maneuverability is quite good.
Old 20-07-2009, 14:34   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Once I got the Tanton moving in reverse, it would go along way on a straight course as long as I minded the wheel closely.. In docking etc though...well you know the story!
Old 20-07-2009, 14:43   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
i have a formosa 41 with full keel---i need to practice captain rons technique a bit more lol
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 14:44   #40

I've almost involved insurance companies in what should be simple maneuvers... Everett and Laconner (Washington), for example. In Everett, I was parked pointing downwind and downcurrent, and just needed to do a U-turn to leave. I couldn't bring the bow into the elements within the fairway, and in reverse I couldn't get the stern moving fast enough to rotate the boat. So back and forth, back and forth, falling to leeward a bit more each time, the folks in the restaurant at the dead-end putting down their forks and picking up cameras. A dock-angel hollered, "you guys need help?" and my crew threw a sternline... he gave it a good yank, turned us into the wind, and we high-tailed it outta there.

That's why I want a bow thruster.

Steve
Old 20-07-2009, 15:41   #41

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
I am going to tell you how you can get the same training for operating a twin engine power boat the United States Navy gave me.

Salty Chief Boatswain Mate looked at me and said "You'll do" now go get in that 65' landing craft, go over to that vacant pier in it and learn how to dock it, we will need you to run it when we anchor off for liberty on the coming cruise.

Cresote splinters covered the water as far as the eye could see, but eventually the twin 671, 65 footer did as I wanted.

Seeing how that was a heavy steel boat, and it was not mine, well I guess it might be kindda expensive to suscribe to my school of boat handling.
Old 23-07-2009, 23:53   #42

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
I've almost involved insurance companies in what should be simple maneuvers... Everett and Laconner (Washington), for example. In Everett, I was parked pointing downwind and downcurrent, and just needed to do a U-turn to leave. I couldn't bring the bow into the elements within the fairway, and in reverse I couldn't get the stern moving fast enough to rotate the boat. So back and forth, back and forth, falling to leeward a bit more each time, the folks in the restaurant at the dead-end putting down their forks and picking up cameras. A dock-angel hollered, "you guys need help?" and my crew threw a sternline... he gave it a good yank, turned us into the wind, and we high-tailed it outta there.

That's why I want a bow thruster.

Steve
I hear ya Steve, when the tide is ebbing with the Snohomish flowing and you're trying to leave... (or even worse dock from underway), esp. when it is 2 ft or less from LLW, it can be tough. We moved from "A" dock (across from the guest moorage) in Everett because of this, can't can't be happier now that we're near the travel lift and away from that current.
Old 24-07-2009, 00:08   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
I hear ya Steve, when the tide is ebbing with the Snohomish flowing and you're trying to leave... (or even worse dock from underway), esp. when it is 2 ft or less from LLW, it can be tough. We moved from "A" dock (across from the guest moorage) in Everett because of this, can't can't be happier now that we're near the travel lift and away from that current.
I can't tell you how good it feels to know I'm not the only one. I've had a few people nod knowingly and say, "ah, yes, Everett," but it really is nice to hear that it is indeed nasty (and not a shortcoming of my boat, or worse, her skipper).

Speaking of docking in the wind, I just did a blog posting about Saturday's twin battles. Close call.

Cheers!
Steve
Old 24-07-2009, 12:29   #44

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
Steve, if I am visualizing the situation correctly, all you had to do was use an after bow spring with a bight around the aft horn of the dock cleat, and the wind and current would have turned you almost completely around. Docking and undocking with spring lines is something a more experienced skipper thinks about all the time. You shouldn't think about driving any boat like driving a car. That experience you had was a heck of a learning experience and I'll bet you did learn a lot from it

Good luck

Joe S
Old 24-07-2009, 13:06   #45

Joe - precisely. In retrospect, I should have waited until I had maneuvering space; now I think through such situations much more carefully and analyze how lines can be used to advantage (not just for getting pointed correctly, but as my only brakes!).

In the Everett case, I was sandwiched between two boats along the dock, which was in line with the down-current and wind. I decided to just do a U-turn, but that proved to be impossible. Luckily, some dock space opened enough near the dead end for the helper to catch and haul a line.

Cheers,
Steve

Tags
Docking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: