Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2014, 08:13   #16

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Re: Docking a full keel heavy displacement sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrain View Post
Forgot to ask.

In the video he mentions using dock lines that have no loops. Ill go out and get new dock lines but I wonder what type of line would be best (double braid)?

Also I want to make a mooring pendant and figure this line would be similar in material perhaps stronger?

Double braid, 1/2 or 5/8" would be sufficient for your size. Spliced eye on the boat end, no eye, no stopper knot on the dock end. You want the dock end to be able to run free through a cleat or ring if needed.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 08:16   #17

I remember calling ahead to the harbormaster on VHF. He advised tieing up at the pump out station and service dock. Not knowing the Harbor I trundled in and found very unavorable conditions for docking my full keeler. Rather than remodel the innerworkings of the harbor and my scraping barnacles off my boat and did a drive-by.

Pearl of Wisdom:
No shame in a drive-by or two to figure out what's needed and safe.

So. After a drive by a sane tie up was located and completed. After walking a little further to the office the staff apologetically stated "Oh I think you probably could have made it?"

Point is it's your boat and responsibility perhaps they were busy and not thinking, or my skills are less than a professional bargeman, or perhaps even that they were looking for some excitement.
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 08:16   #18

Docking a full keel heavy displacement sailboat

Wasn't trying to be negative, my apologies if it was taken that way. Just pointing out that what he did was very easy. If he had not used the bow thruster it would have been relevant to more docking situations as most of us don't have the luxury of having one.
Old 16-04-2014, 08:23   #19

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731

Sorry Red Sky I misunderstood you . In the video he never mentions a bow thruster so I am confused as to why you mentioned its a stupid video.

Basically the video demonstrates how to dock a full keel heavy displacement boat like mine in many situations including current and wind.

I also (could be wrong) as the video said no dock lines with loops on either end. To tie a knot instead. It seems I need to review it again but I am still about 3/4 of the way through - its a long video.

Lojanica
I agree no shame, hell I am the talk of the marina so I carry shame well. We all laugh about our mistakes however but lately I am making more than others.
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 08:24   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Wow, almost an hour and a half, great class, feel like I should be paying for it. Brought up some line usage I hadn't thought about.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 08:26   #21

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

When I was docking, getting close to the pier, I kicked it in forward and I felt the wheel get tugged. The first time it happened it felt like rudder hit something close to the dock or something. The second time it happened, I was looking around behind me to the left and I thought someone was grabbing at the wheel on my right.

Of course it turned out that the jerking was just the prop wash slamming against the rudder.

This video was a total epiphany to me!

My slip is on the left of the slipway and my berth is on the left side of the slip. If I had tried to dock my boat bow-first without seeing this video, I'm not sure I could EVER have done it. I would have hit my slip-mate's boat every time because I would have tried to turn left into the slip.

Now I know that if I ever do want to go bow-first, I would either need to go to the end of the slipway and spin around (to the right) and then pull in to my berth (to the right), or enter the slipway in reverse.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 08:30   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

No, your right, he said three strand nylon with no loops, use a bowline knot instead. Logic given and it's correct, is how do you get out when someone puts their line over yours, if you cannot untie yours?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 08:31   #23

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
This video is lame for you but priceless for me. Thanks for the negativity though I have not had any this morning and needed it.
Just got home from work and need a laugh. Thanks.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 08:37   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No, your right, he said three strand nylon with no loops, use a bowline knot instead. Logic given and it's correct, is how do you get out when someone puts their line over yours, if you cannot untie yours?
Excellent info. Thanks I was wondering why and now its clear. I need to test the crew on knots and have a good reason to buy more line.

Goat
Old 16-04-2014, 08:39   #25

Quote:
Hello

1. First off I admit that I am terrible at docking my home. On more than 3 occasions I have hit the dock or ran into something. I also have had a few close calls with my neighbors boat where my bowsprit wants to kiss his stern.

2. So whats the best way to dock a heavy displacement full keel boat?

3. I would love to take a docking class but nothing is in my area. Whats your advice? I know I need practice but where can I get some so that I dont tear the new expensive cheaply made boats apart.
1. You're not the only one, and even folks with fin keel boats have issues. In my experience, it's simply because most folks don't practice enough. They sail, maybe for a few days and then only come into their own dock once. When we bought new-to-us boats, I spent the first weeks practicing docking and nothing else.

2. "Best" in sailing/boating is an oxymoron. There is no BEST, it's all a compromise. And to even begin to answer that question, you'd have to explain a LOT more about your particular arrangement. In many cases, with questions identical to yours, the questioners have even provided sketches showing the docks, pilings, adjacent boats, wind direction, currents, etc. to help us help you.

There are techniques you can learn, from that video and others (a good one is Captain Jack Klang - Google him).

A good technique is learning how to use spring lines and a midship spring line.

3. I'm sure that you've looked, but I find it almost impossible to believe that in the great PNW, the sailing capital of northwest sailing, that you can't find someone. Perhaps someone here can help out.

Practice includes:

--- learning how your boat operates in forward, idle, reverse, fast & slow; many skippers go off to find a side tie empty dock to practice; many go find open water and throw a fender over; others wait for calm conditions and go in and out and in to their own slips

--- I have a fin keeled boat and can accelerate back out of my slip and do fine; my neighbor has a Mason 33 and uses a spring line. If you don't know these techniques, you need to do some more homework, there have been entire books written about this subject and I daresay there's plenty on the internet and more than we can type in here

--- learn how your boat operates in reverse with different throttle settings, open water is best for this

--- no one here has yet mentioned prop walk, but it can be your friend or a terrifying experience; tons of information on the internet about this subject

Good luck.

Your goal is not to simply dock your boat, your goal is to always be able to put your boat exactly where you want it to be, docks or not.

And, uhm, practice...think of it as a way to get your home out sailing more often.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 08:41   #26

Quote:
Sorry Red Sky I misunderstood you . In the video he never mentions a bow thruster so I am confused as to why you mentioned its a stupid video.

Basically the video demonstrates how to dock a full keel heavy displacement boat like mine in many situations including current and wind.

I also (could be wrong) as the video said no dock lines with loops on either end. To tie a knot instead. It seems I need to review it again but I am still about 3/4 of the way through - its a long video.

Lojanica
I agree no shame, hell I am the talk of the marina so I carry shame well. We all laugh about our mistakes however but lately I am making more than others.

Abrain, My apologies again, I watched the wrong video. The one I somehow got was the docking of a 57' Jeanneau. ??? Again, my apologies, my trap is shut.
Old 16-04-2014, 08:44   #27

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Talking Re: Docking a full keel heavy displacement sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
When I was docking, getting close to the pier, I kicked it in forward and I felt the wheel get tugged. The first time it happened it felt like rudder hit something close to the dock or something. The second time it happened, I was looking around behind me to the left and I thought someone was grabbing at the wheel on my right.

Of course it turned out that the jerking was just the prop wash slamming against the rudder.

This video was a total epiphany to me!

My slip is on the left of the slipway and my berth is on the left side of the slip. If I had tried to dock my boat bow-first without seeing this video, I'm not sure I could EVER have done it. I would have hit my slip-mate's boat every time because I would have tried to turn left into the slip.

Now I know that if I ever do want to go bow-first, I would either need to go to the end of the slipway and spin around (to the right) and then pull in to my berth (to the right), or enter the slipway in reverse.

All true, but careful if you have a cross wind when backing down the fairway. Frequently the speed required for steerage is higher than you want in close quarters. Also it is important to have a line of retreat if things don't work as planned. A plan that has only one chance of success does not meet the Captains requirement of "never in doubt".
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 08:46   #28

I believe you will find most if not every marina will gladly let you park ANYWHERE you need to in a situation to avoid damage to other boats. I have found them very helpful. One marina i moored at for a few months, the manager kept a handheld next to his bed on the marina channel. Told me i could call at 2 in the morning if i ever needed help mooring on a windy night. Very fine man.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 08:49   #29

As mentioned, use your boat's traits to your advantage. Know how to use your prop walk etc. I always come in HOT with and wind or current influencing the boat, it's the only way to have control. You need a good prop like a Max Prop etc to come in hot. 1 knot is not hot, 3-5 knots is.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 08:50   #30

Stu Jackson

Your right I did not provide much information about my situation, but this video did fill me in on the bulk of what was missing. I am also amazed its free and cant wait to get out and practice more. Next time Ill try to provide more information for people to digest and give proper feedback. Thanks

Red Sky - lol I wondered, no big deal, nothing but love.

Tags
displacement, dock, Docking, keel, men, sail, sailboat, docking