Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-05-2014, 15:15   #76

Re: Docking a Full Keel Heavy Displacement Sailboat

Excellent video! I singlehand my Tayana 37 a lot with its full keel with cutaway forefoot so the bow will move with the wind pretty quickly. One thing I do differently than the video shows is when leaving the slip if docked bow to, I put a spring line on the aft cleat rather than the mid point as the video shows. This not only gives the boat more leverage to turn that bow into the wind as I back out, but also I have control of that line which is close to the helm. Also when going into a slip if I'm backing in...I use the waterman's spring. If I'm going forward into a slip(dependent on its location in the fairway such that no turns are necessary), I most alway go straight in, maintaining good speed to keep the bow from falling off. Not to be suggested unless you have good aft thrust to stop the momentum. A max prop works wonders and I would not do it with an ordinary prop.

The comment about turning the boat leaving right rudder fixed rather than changing rudder position as you go back and forth from forward to reverse is a good procedure, however I've found that to be more aggresive that moving that rudder back and forth helps if you can coorninate the movements. This is helpful considering that when I reverse there is some way gathered such that the rudder also helps(in addition to the prop wash) in making the turn.

Old 01-05-2014, 15:23   #77

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
Our rule is never jump. Once you've seen someone fall between a large boat and the dock, it's an easy rule to make. There's always another way.

Old 01-05-2014, 15:30   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by marujo.sortudo View Post
Our rule is never jump. ...............
I agree, but I think the word "jump" has sometimes been used in reference to a quick step. I think that there are many times when someone can step to the dock. How big a step depends upon several factors.
.... a small step for mankind is a giant leap for my wife!
Old 01-05-2014, 15:49   #79
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

No jumping, as a general rule of thumb, wet docks cause big pain, can be permanent.
Old 16-06-2014, 07:13   #80

Boat: Still saving up for the next one!

I learned how (not) to sail from my father: he used to approach at great speed and I had to leap off the boat and wrap a line around something real quick to try to stop the boat before he rammed anything forward... Even Spiderman would have had difficulty avoiding the inevitable!

So that's how not to do it!!!

No need to add anything to the above excellent advice from people far more knowledgeable than me. However, it should be emphasized that once you learn how your boat handles and the best way to dock to make sure your crew knows how to dock also.
Old 26-06-2014, 09:01   #81
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37
Re: Docking a full keel heavy displacement sailboat

I notice you have a Slocum 43. I have been restoring a Slocum 37 and I am at a loss as to any history on this design. Would you by any chance know how many were built and what their original cost was. I own hull #5 built in 1985. Any info on the 37 would be greatly appreciated.

Best regard,
BZT
Old 26-06-2014, 20:12   #82

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

I would recommend joining the Slocum 43 and Passport 42 owner's group:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Slocum43/info
Old 26-06-2014, 21:10   #83

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

Wonderful thread. I grew up in a power-boat family and was recognized as the best driver to dock the boat any day. So this gave me a lot of confidence that became absolutely useless when I got a big heavy sailboat! So I've had to relearn how to dock and maneuver and it's been a lot harder than I thought. The tips here might finally get me comfortable.

I'd love to get my wife at the helm - maybe this thread will help convince her. Gotta get out and practice in the open water first.

Here's one rule that proves to always help:

"Any swearing and screaming during docking is immediately forgiven and forgotten."
Old 26-06-2014, 21:53   #84

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

The heavier the boat, the more you need to practice patience. We are modified full keel; 36 tons; 58 feet; 15"-7" beam; no thruster; +/-15 degrees rudder; 120 feet free turn radius; decidedly right prop walk; 3-blade feathering prop with control on deck; hydraulic forward/reverse clutch. The hardest lesson for me was to learn to use the winds and the boat's natural tendencies to our advantage instead of horsing it about & trying to force my will on it. When dealing with any dock, size up the situation including the current & breezes. Refuse an assigned spot if you feel it will be unfavorable. Take a practice pass & size up your escape. You may decide that bow or stern in is best. Anchor out if its all bad.

The video states that a standing turn can only be done in the same direction as prop walk. While this is certainly easiest, it is not correct. You should work on this technique both left & right in open water with no wind & get good at it. We must execute a 180 left turn from the marina main channel into our slip. The channel behind our slip is about 80 feet wide. 9 of 10 times. the prevailing SW breeze will help rotate our bow left as we approach from E and and turn S to enter the slip from W.

The plan is to initiate the Left turn with only sufficient forward speed to have rudder and to die in front of the slip. We do this so that forward speed is zero while the boat is still rotating. Use prop wash in forward kick to help the bow around and wait as long as necessary for the rotation to give the desired angle. This may take several minutes and pisses off the alcohol saturated dinner crowd leaving the restaurant opposite our slip. Note that boats up to 20 wide may be tied to the restaurant wall, narrowing the 80 feet to 60.

The advice regarding speed relative to how hard you care to hit something is spot on. I have learned the number is zero. Entering our 17 foot wide slip, we have very little spare space. If contact is imminent, I burst forward/reverse to make the speed zero until the vessel rebounds or crew can fend off.

On the days when the wind is not favorable, we may have to work that standing turn.

Exiting the slip, normal wind pushes our bow left, perfectly into the fairway. NW to E wind will push the bow right. This forces us to exit in reverse and to continue to reverse into the wind in a careful clockwise sweep into the next fareway opening. With a very little bit of speed, it can be steered in reverse. Just be careful that the rudder is not overpowered and forced to a full left or right position. Once the momentum for this right turn is established, application of full right rudder and some rpm easily throws the bow down-channel.

PHOTOS Roxy is largest boat in the left docks. Stern is west. Typical weekend crowd on the wall & maneuvering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K-11 ROXY 1.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	83915   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7110089.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	83916  

Old 01-07-2014, 07:58   #85

Boat: other people's boats

I doubt you can find a docking class.... If you can find a buoy out in the water somwhere with enough depth around it, you can practice approaching it, and figure out how your boat responds to different RPMs and wind and current situations. most important thing is to play around with it to figure out how it reacts. we can tell you all of our expertise and knowledge and waste more and more interweb space, but really you just need to get out there and play around, which it kind of sounds like you're doing, so that's awesome.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:42   #86
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You certainly can dock opposite your prop walk. It is just easier to use it to help you come alongside. I use the conditions as much as possible to help me make a safe tie up. When conditions permit, I like to dock opposite the prop walk, making my next unmooring easier.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:50   #87

Boat: other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
You certainly can dock opposite your prop walk. It is just easier to use it to help you come alongside. I use the conditions as much as possible to help me make a safe tie up. When conditions permit, I like to dock opposite the prop walk, making my next unmooring easier.
See, I'd rather do the opposite. I'd rather set myself up so that I had every advantage when trying to approach a dock, rather than getting away from it. I'm way more concerned about smacking something hard when i'm mooring.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:10   #88
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Smacking hard is a bad thing. No argument with the approach. I just like to set myself up for the next undocking, if possible.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:13   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Buy this video from the sailing channel. costs 10 bucks as a download. Capt. Jack Klange you'll never spend a better 10 bucks.

Then go practice, practice practice.

I also disagree with those who say let your wife be the helmsman, because you are stronger etc.

A good helmsman sets the boat right at the dock, allowing the deckhand to step ashore with the lines - no "death-defing leap" or anything like that.

Your wife should be equally as good as you are as helmsman - just as you should become as good as she is as deckhand. When both can do it and regularly do it - sailing becomes more fun for both.

carsten
Old 01-07-2014, 09:58   #90

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares View Post
I doubt you can find a docking class.... If you can find a buoy out in the water somwhere with enough depth around it, you can practice approaching it, and figure out how your boat responds to different RPMs and wind and current situations. most important thing is to play around with it to figure out how it reacts. we can tell you all of our expertise and knowledge and waste more and more interweb space, but really you just need to get out there and play around, which it kind of sounds like you're doing, so that's awesome.
Good Point... a good friend of mine made a passable living teaching boat handling and docking in San Diego and Ensenada. He crewed for me many times and was a very competent mariner. Probably forgot more than I'll ever know about boat handling and maintenance. His business card read 'The Docking Doctor'. We met in Ensenada when I saw this white haired guy driving a large power boat up and down the fairway in Marina Coral not long after it opened about 30 years ago. Members of the old '90 Day Yacht Club' would hire me to drive their boat to Ensenada after taking offshore delivery and engage my buddy to teach them how to drive it! Must be nice to have that kind of coin! Phil

Tags
displacement, dock, Docking, keel, men, sail, sailboat, docking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: