Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2011, 10:40   #1
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
Ditch Bag

I may need a few more windows in my cabin and may be I am thinking too much but it seems to me that keeping things dry in a life raft would be a good thing. From other adventures I have what are called dry bags. I am thinking that it might be good to put a dry bag with the ditch bag to put all the other stuff you would gather together before getting into the life raft. Any comments?
I am also thinking to fix a laminated sheet with abandon ship instruction reminders to try to remember everything in an emergency.
Comments?
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 10:52   #2

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Re: ditch bag

Lots of extra flares. I have talked to a few fisherman here that have spent days waiting to be rescued in life rafts, and all them say you can never have too many.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 11:06   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: ditch bag

In addition to what the life raft has, I hope to take:

epirb, handheld vhf, handheld gps, boat documentation, flares, and more.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 19:24   #4

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Re: Ditch Bag

Water and protein would be good, unless you're where there's fish, then a hand line. Survival blankets, more water or a small watermaker.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 19:20   #5

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
I may need a few more windows in my cabin and may be I am thinking too much but it seems to me that keeping things dry in a life raft would be a good thing. From other adventures I have what are called dry bags. I am thinking that it might be good to put a dry bag with the ditch bag to put all the other stuff you would gather together before getting into the life raft. Any comments?
I am also thinking to fix a laminated sheet with abandon ship instruction reminders to try to remember everything in an emergency.
Comments?
RDW
No reason not to use the dry bag as your ditch bag. I have a ACR ditch bag that floats, but could have used a good dry bag for the container. Contents depend upon your cruise plans, desire for preparedness, budget. For a Pacific voyage, (with a shipmate who had actually been wrecked on a reef in the Pacific and was rescued) I outfitted my ditch bag with the following list of gear. The EPRIB, VHF and GPS did routine duty, and would be put into in easily accessible pockets in the ditch bag if the need arose. A laminated card is a great idea - I have one attached to the bag, and also one with emergency radio instructions mounted next to the ship's VHF and SSB.

Ditch Bag Contents
EPIRB
VHF (Standard Horizon Floating)
Katadyn Survivor 6 Watermaker
GPS (Garmin Oregon)
Firefly Light
Space Blankets (2)
Folding Solar Charger for VHF and GPS
Emergency Food Rations in Foil Packets
Light Line
Fishing Kit
Fishing Knife
Gloves
Cutting Board
Duct Tape
Personal Hygiene Kit
Sunscreen
Caps (2)
Sponge
Towel
Foul Weather Suit
Flares
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 05:26   #6
RDW

Thank you. Yours was the most complete reply. I was actually not going to use the dry bag as my ditch bag. I was going to store the dry bag attached to the ditch bag to use to put all the extras that you would like to take off the boat but would not already have stored in the actual ditchbag. Hopefully I am being too careful and will never use the ditch bag.
I am interested in your portable solar charger system. Can you give me more details?
Old 22-04-2011, 06:39   #7

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
Thank you. Yours was the most complete reply. I was actually not going to use the dry bag as my ditch bag. I was going to store the dry bag attached to the ditch bag to use to put all the extras that you would like to take off the boat but would not already have stored in the actual ditchbag. Hopefully I am being too careful and will never use the ditch bag.
I am interested in your portable solar charger system. Can you give me more details?
RDW,
It's a 5 watt Powerfilm foldable solar charger. Foldable Solar Battery Charger
One could carry extra batteries instead, but I liked the versatility of this solution.
My list may be a bit much for many people, but I am a believer in preparedness. May we never use the ditch bag other than for assurance that we are prepared!
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 08:54   #8

Boat: islandpacket

I also take a battery powered smoke dectector and a Co2 monitor.
and I like this stuff.

monkeybutt pouder photo - Google Search
Old 22-04-2011, 09:16   #9
RDW

I hope you are able to use all your stuff.