Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 16:26   #16

Re: Dink & Engine for Exhumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain mitch View Post
Here we are in Black Point, Exuma ----- blowin 20+ and I would NOT venture to shore with less than a 9,5.
Seriously, the smaller engines MIGHT get by , but you are skimping on your safety.
The inflated bottom could be ok, but as I look around tonight the ONLY people that were in town with us today (blowin near 20) were driving rib s with engines of 9.5 or greater.
My reccomendation after many years in the Exumas is buy the rib that you can put on your foredeck (get that stateside from anyone)and then stop in Nassau and buy a 2 stroke 9.5. (we just bought a new 15 Yamaha there [Lightborne Marine] for $2300.)
Stay away from the 4 stroke small engines, they are constant trouble and truly have a short life span.
Keep your wife dry and happy -- Most of them do NOT want to rough it with salty wet panties

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 18:37   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

9.5 Caribe on our boat with 15 HP 2-stroke Merc. I was given advice once to size the dink to be able to get your boat out of trouble. Thus - 15 HP. 8-10 should do well for you. Ours easily planes 3 people. If I am alone, it goes dangerously fast & scares the heck out of me. It makes me nervous to let a novice out.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 19:07   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Really? 20kts at Black Point and you think a small outboard is unsafe? Have you owned a small outboard/inflatable before?

Never once did we feel unsafe.

Matt

Our 7' rib and 5 hp outboard do just fine also with those conditions......Unsafe?!??! NO......inconvenient, yes. But any larger and it wouldn't work with our boat.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 19:33   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
9.5 Caribe on our boat with 15 HP 2-stroke Merc. I was given advice once to size the dink to be able to get your boat out of trouble. Thus - 15 HP. 8-10 should do well for you. Ours easily planes 3 people. If I am alone, it goes dangerously fast & scares the heck out of me. It makes me nervous to let a novice out.
My AB was an old double floor heavy 10 ft. 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke was plenty on it. Very fast.
I had the same on a newer 9 ft AB and it was too squirrely for me!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine