Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2009, 16:43   #1

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Dinghy Dock Etiquette

Its a slow night, and I couldn't find anything recent on docking dinghys...so for the newbies and charterers:

There was a recent request on the VHF net here in Trinidad for people to please leave the motors down on their dinghies at the crowded dinghy dock. The raised propellor on one dinghy was chewing holes in the surrounding inflatables. The dinghy in question belonged to a powerboat, but even they should be aware of basic dinghy dock etiquette. The only excuse for leaving your outboard raised is if the dinghy dock dries out at low tide.

The other basic rule for crowded dinghy docks is to use a painter and/or locking cable at least as long as your dinghy. Dinghies tied on short scope can't be pushed aside to allow access to and from the dock. I was trapped at the dock in Marin, Martinique by a bunch of dinghies which came in after me and tied off short across a finger pier.

Anything I left out??
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 16:54   #2

Boat: CT54
Please don't tie fore and aft so to take up the whole dock (I am surprised how many people do this).
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 17:29   #3

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
When there are few cleats available, please use a loop in the dinghy painter instead of bearing someones line with an over tied cleat hitch.
In fact the first one on the cleat should use a loop also. Your dinghy isn't going to go anywhere with a loop. Although it might when a pissed off dinghy captain comes back with hands full of groceries and has to wrestle your dinghy painter off from on top of his.
Old 15-03-2009, 19:49   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I love this sentence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The dinghy in question belonged to a powerboat, but even they should be aware of basic dinghy dock etiquette.
ah... etiquette!
Old 16-03-2009, 04:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
GREAT ADVICE - and not just good etiquette (kindness), but self-serving as well.

I like to stern anchor my dinghy about 15 feet (or more) off the dock. Aside from the courtesy of leaving the dockside available for others to load & unload (taxi stand), this prevents my dink from getting under the dock at low tide, which can result in a trapped or damaged dink at high tide. It also keeps me away from those dinks with raised outboards (pun intended).

I deploy an anchor as I approach the dock, letting out enough rode to reach the dock comfortably. After unloading passengers & freight & gear, I tie (& lock) my long bow cable*, retrieve enough rode to pull the dink away from the dock & other dinghies, then secure it. I then pull myself back to the dock, drawing the anchor line taught, exit the dink, & let the rode draw the dink back away from the dock.

My locking painter is a 30 foot long, 3/16" dia.7 x 19 cable pad-locked to the engine, run through the gas tank, then through a bow eye. I loop the cable around captive dock structure and pad-lock it; leaving any cleats available for those using rope. I also have conventional rope dock & bow lines.

When securing with a loop, bring your loop up through any previously loop line, from the bottom. This allows the other line to be removed without disturbing yours. Another case of being nice to the other guy having favourable results for you (you don’t trap nyone, and nobody has to undo/redo your line).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 06:07   #6

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
...When securing with a loop, bring your loop up through any previously loop line, from the bottom. This allows the other line to be removed without disturbing yours.
I learned this as "dipping the eye" and it has always surprised me as to how many experienced boaters have no idea how or why to do this.

Great post Gord!
Old 16-03-2009, 06:13   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
I learned this as "dipping the eye" and it has always surprised me as to how many experienced boaters have no idea how or why to do this.
Thanks Mark - I was having an oldtimers moment, couldn't remember the term, so couldn't find the illustration.

If two bights or eye splices are to be placed over the same bollard, cleat, or winch, the second one must be led up through the eye of the first and then placed over the bollard. This makes it possible for either line to be cast off independently of the other and is called dipping the eye.
Attached Images

Old 16-03-2009, 07:55   #8

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Great information here! Thanks to all who contributed to it. I learned a lot in this short thread.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 08:07   #9

Boat: Islander 36
Ok, so when "dipping the eye", how do you get a lock on there? What'd I miss? I'm thinking there are 2 different painters in this discussion.
Old 16-03-2009, 16:39   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Ok, so when "dipping the eye", how do you get a lock on there? What'd I miss? I'm thinking there are 2 different painters in this discussion.
The other painter is from someone elses dink.
When Dippin the Eye we try to put a bowlinie through the hole in the base of the cleat if there is one.

If locking on with chain you MUST dip the eye or the dinks before you cant untie easily or at all!

I gotta say, Gord, I am not full in love with dinks anchored as some use floating line and can foul other dinghys.

One gripe: I wish people would realise dinghys can put out quite a wash and close to a dinghy dock they can cause damage, and make it hard for those getting in/out.

M

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 17:00   #11

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
Where I tie up it's a paid dinghy dock that requires stern anchors (you would understand if you saw the setup). Your right Mark....floating line sucks and why anybody uses it is beyond me. There are even people that put floats on their stern anchor rodes .... !
Old 16-03-2009, 18:06   #12

Boat: Islander 36
I get that dipping the eye means you go thru somebody elses painter. I'm asking about the lock.

I see now that Gord mentioned his "other painter" when he was talking about the lock.

However...
"If locking on with chain you MUST dip the eye or the dinks before you cant untie easily or at all!"

Still confused.
Old 17-03-2009, 11:51   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I get that dipping the eye means you go thru somebody elses painter. I'm asking about the lock.

I see now that Gord mentioned his "other painter" when he was talking about the lock.

However...
"If locking on with chain you MUST dip the eye or the dinks before you cant untie easily or at all!"

Still confused.
If you lock your cable over others painters, those painters that are spliced, then you prevent others from untieing their painter...they would end up having to cut their painter in order to untie their dinghy. If you dip their eyes through your cable painter then there will be no such problem.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 13:17   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You’re right; I don’t use a lock when dipping the eye.
There are numerous occasions when we share a bollard or cleat with another, but don’t require (or desire) the extra security & inconvenience of a lock.
There’s no point in locking a cable/line to a bollard or cleat, where dipping the eye is used; as it can just be slipped up & off.
There’s also no point in going round a bollard, if locking to a beam.

Old 17-03-2009, 14:48   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
There are numerous occasions when we share a bollard or cleat with another, but don’t require (or desire) the extra security & inconvenience of a lock.
We don't need extra security either - a thief takes one look at our dinghy... and moves on!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock