Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2010, 11:19   #1

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Dinghy as Emergency Tugboat

I've never had to try this myself, but it has always been my plan, if the diesel quits, to use my inflatable dinghy as an emergency tugboat to get me either into my slip, or onto a mooring in a crowded field.

Assuming that this has already happened to others, I was hoping to learn some hard-won wisdom regarding how-to.

?
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 11:28   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Unfortunately did it many times when I had a Volvo in my CS36M. Also towed a friend in a couple of times when we traveled together. His dink was useless. For a long distance tow from the bow. For close quarters put the boat "on the hip". Tie your dink on one of the quarters, make sure the engine of the dink is well aft of the transom of the big boat (for steering). Tie the dink fore and aft, the aft line going to the opposite quarter. Towing picture from my early days.

Old 28-09-2010, 11:29   #3

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Don't try to tow boat with dinghy,tie it alongside near cockpit then you can move easily between steering wheel(or tiller)and dinghy o.b. throttle.Wait until tide and wind is favorable.Have done this with inflatable and 4hp.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 11:47   #4

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
+1 to highseas. Works a treat.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 17:57   #5

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor
Mine quit mid channel 2 weeks ago headed towards the marina . Dingy rolled up in the lazerette, dingy motor at my house. Luckily wind although blowing 15+ was in a almost favorable direction, I rolled out about 5 feet of head sail and ran it up to the slip about 2.5 knts Rolled the sail as I turned into the slip (dead down wind) And floated into the slip. I make it sound a little easier then it was, I was on the rail with a boat hook as soon as i was pointed in the slip and I did stop the boat using the spring line but it wasnt so bad nothing broken nothing hurt . I think Im going to sail in whenever possible (with the engine idleing just in case ) just to get more pratice. Seems that the engine only dies when Im in the channel.
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 18:07   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Practice sailing into a slip if your marina allows it. One day it may save you and your insurance company a lot of money if your engine quits inside the marina.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 18:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Don't try to tow boat with dinghy,tie it alongside near cockpit then you can move easily between steering wheel(or tiller)and dinghy o.b. throttle.
Highseas is correct. This works just fine.

It is important to use four lines to tie the dink securely alongside. Just like alongside a dock: Fore, aft, and two proper springs. I use fenders, too. At high power it helps to have someone heavy in the dink. For slower work it's not necessary.

Plan ahead as to which side will be best if docking is in your future. Don't plan on using the outboard to brake excessive speed. Go really slow near expensive stuff - as you always should.

The outboard will be best pointed toward the center of the ship...the center of resistance.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 20:13   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
It wouldn't hurt to experiment...in open water on a low wind day......

Just like a MOB drill, having the experience in how to set it up and how the boat behaves....make you look like a pro.

The line leading forward is your stopping line
The line to the aft is your towing line
You will have one line at the bow of the dink...tieing the bow of the dink against the hull.

In an ideal "on the hip" the dink should be angled in towards the boat with the stern kicked out somewhat....not parallel

Keep the rudder of the vessel being moved amidships

It takes practice/patience....slow is pro
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 21:22   #9

Boat: Islander 36
Dingy as tug has long been one consideration I use in my choice of dinks. You may not use it as a tug for your own boat, but there will be plenty of chances to help out others. Like when a boat drags anchor and no skipper is aboard that boat, you'll see dinks gather to assist. Part of the fun of it all.

I saved myself a few $$ by not calling for a tow once. That's all it took for me to justify the idea.

As others have said, tie up to the quarter for and aft.
Old 28-09-2010, 23:23   #10
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Makes me wonder if its worth it to install a small outboard bracket on the stern of your boat if practical...
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 23:58   #11

Boat: Force 5, 13 feet, Binouchka
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
Mine quit mid channel 2 weeks ago headed towards the marina . Dingy rolled up in the lazerette, dingy motor at my house. Luckily wind although blowing 15+ was in a almost favorable direction, I rolled out about 5 feet of head sail and ran it up to the slip about 2.5 knts Rolled the sail as I turned into the slip (dead down wind) And floated into the slip. I make it sound a little easier then it was, I was on the rail with a boat hook as soon as i was pointed in the slip and I did stop the boat using the spring line but it wasnt so bad nothing broken nothing hurt . I think Im going to sail in whenever possible (with the engine idleing just in case ) just to get more pratice. Seems that the engine only dies when Im in the channel.
My son and I took the Basic Keelboat course in San Diego at Harbor Sailboats. We trained on Catalina 22s, and the relevant part of the post is that they required you to master the art of bringing the boat into the dock under sail - no power allowed ever on landing. I likened it to learning to glide and land your plane before being allowed to try to use the engine on your plane.

I must say it was great training. I'd done a fair bit of sailing, but this was the first experience for my son. We did the course, and then spent a couple of summers sailing San Diego harbor. Five years later we took my Force 5 out on a lake and even though he hadn't sailed for at least a couple of years, I let him "bring us in". He did great, judging his speed perfectly, kissing up to the dock.

I firmly believe everyone should learn this skill - it will serve you well.
PieRatPeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 00:11   #12

Boat: Privilege 37
if you need to tow, then an alongside on the quarter with the dinghy well secured to the boat works well. I moved my catalac over 2 miles using a 2hp yamaha (engine was running a little warm for some reason.

If you need to tow from ahead, then turn your tender 180 degrees so that the two boats are bow to bow, and secure the towing line to the bow. then drive the dinghy by pointing the engine where you want to go - note this will only work on the small engines that can be swivelled through 360 degrees.
Old 29-09-2010, 08:46   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
We found it easiest with two zodiacs - one alongside as a tug, the other pushing and pulling as necessary.

I observer the coast guard tow craft with their huge ribs and they did it alongsides too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 08:59   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Here is a photo to prove a large yacht can be towed by a small dingy.
This 50 foot yacht ran aground with no one on board. In calm conditions as was able to tow it off the sand and back to owr boat with only a 5hp outboard on the dingy
I tied it to our stern and until the owners returned we had a great new 50 foot tender.

BTW if you tow with a rope (instead of tying the dingy alongside) reversing the dingy works better (the motor pulls instead of pushes the dingy).

Also a dingy can be used as a bowthruster if necessary.With an inflatible you can just push directly on the bow or stern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 New tender s.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	19665  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 09:13   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Towing picture from my early days.

Nice picture Vasco, whats the name of the tug??
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote