Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 05:35   #16

Boat: boat less ATM
Re: Dealing with jib sheet when reefing main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I would not consider this safe. Especially on a cat. You wouldn't be able to release the clutch in a gust without reloading the sheet on the winch first.

On a 47 foot boat, the halyard deserves a dedicated winch. There's just no way to get around that fact. Dedicate the primaries to the sheets, and install a winch for the halyard.

I wouldn't ask a prusik knot to do the work of a winch either. That's pennywise and pound foolish. If it takes more than a couple seconds to dump either the sheets or the halyard, the boat is at risk.
Thanks everyone for your advice. I too was thinking that a jammer on the jib sheet would be impossible to release under the forces involved when the wind is piping over 25kts.

I will upload a photo of the setup. I think the original builder tried to do things on the cheap and the next 2 owners never really took the boat ocean sailing. We are in Thailand but I will keep an eye out for a halyard winch in Singapore or Langkawi next time I do a visa run.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:10   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not 100% with the above when it comes to jammers not opening under load. Some do. We have Easylock jammers and these can be opened without unloading the line (much as this is probably done with some damage to the line if done routinely).

But the fact that a jammer could be possibly opened while under load should not detract from the fact that once the line gets unjammed one has to control it and without a turn on the winch this can become a major challenge with any sizeable sail.

Another factor is that a line fed via the jammer can be very difficult to ease swiftly when tacking - a major drawback I think.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:32   #18

You need another winch. Or do you really need the halyard aft? My cat had them at the mast and it's alot less friction.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post
My mainsail halyard is led through a jammer to the starboard winch on my 47 ft cat. If the wind pipes up on a port tack and we are reaching with the wind forward of the beam, we have to first furl the jib before the main halyard can be put on the winch. Is there any way of securing the jib sheet that frees up this winch without furling the jib? I installed an open line jammer next to the winch for this purpose but it is very hard to get the jib sheet off the winch and into this jammer when the wind is over 20 kts and it often jumps out when we are busy reefing the main.

We can't turn downwind to blanket the jib because of the risk of capsize if it is really blowing. Does anyone ever lead their jib sheet through a jammer on their cabin top?
Your arrangement precludes my favourite way of reefing the main - sailing close-hauled on the jib with the main luffing a bit. IMHO, it's by far the best way.

1) You've got directional control, and the hated accidental tack is unlikely.

2) The boat is heeling a bit due to the jib, so the boom doesn't fly across the cockpit so much.

Forget jammers, the old ways are the best - winches and cleats for the jib sheets, another winch and a cleat for the main halyard.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Your arrangement precludes my favourite way of reefing the main - sailing close-hauled on the jib with the main luffing a bit. IMHO, it's by far the best way.

1) You've got directional control, and the hated accidental tack is unlikely.

2) The boat is heeling a bit due to the jib, so the boom doesn't fly across the cockpit so much.

Forget jammers, the old ways are the best - winches and cleats for the jib sheets, another winch and a cleat for the main halyard.
I agree, I hate jammers, even the expensive dual action ones. You really need a winch to lessen the strain before cracking them off anyway. You can crack them off, but when they release under strain the whole rig shakes.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:53   #21

I have jammers on the 4 reefing lines, but the pressure on those is released as soon as you ease the main halyard.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I have jammers on the 4 reefing lines, but the pressure on those is released as soon as you ease the main halyard.
Yeah, that's agood use for them.

Old 06-02-2013, 16:52   #23

Boat: boat less ATM

What suggestions do you have for a halyard winch? Size and brand.
The present winch is a 2 speed self tailing Harken 46. We also use Harken 2 speed 40's for the mainsail traveller. The 40's cost $1150

I better have a look on Ebay.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 18:03   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Pearson 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post
We also use Harken 2 speed 40's for the mainsail traveller. The 40's cost $1150

I better have a look on Ebay.
I just did a quick search of craigslist using Ad Hunt'r and there are Harken 40's for about $450.
Anonymous7500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:55   #25

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I would not consider this safe. Especially on a cat. You wouldn't be able to release the clutch in a gust without reloading the sheet on the winch first.

On a 47 foot boat, the halyard deserves a dedicated winch. There's just no way to get around that fact. Dedicate the primaries to the sheets, and install a winch for the halyard.

I wouldn't ask a prusik knot to do the work of a winch either. That's pennywise and pound foolish. If it takes more than a couple seconds to dump either the sheets or the halyard, the boat is at risk.
Probably the best piece of advice ever posted, IMHO.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:46   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post

Probably the best piece of advice ever posted, IMHO.
Or the worst. Depends doesn't it? I worked on a superyacht where it would have been silly to have enough winches and stoppers for every line. The mast bases looked like a square rigger pinrail. The Prussic knot you folks are reluctant to make good safe use of was standard operating procedure during work like reefing. Or a rolling hitch with the tail of a sheet or halyard or whatever.

Don't put yourself in a situation where emergency release of a headsail sheet is ever necessary. That's amature.

That said one more winch on the OP's boat sounds reasonable. Maybe one of those TWO traveller winches could be moved. Sounds like a waste having two dedicated to the traveller.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:02   #27

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Maybe so. I've sweated jib sheets on handy-billies, but not anymore. Err on the side of caution--thats me.

Tags
jib