Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 18:21   #1

Boat: Traditional 30
Damn marinas....

...who dont service their own moorings. I picked up my new boat on Saturday and sailed it to a new location at a marina. I am going to leave it on one of their commercial moorings until I get permission for my own private one.

The wind was gusting to around 20 and the boat sailed beautifully. Even had dolphins. Perfect day.

HOWEVER, of the five or six mooring the marina told us to pick up, not one of them had a pendant attached. Just a mess of growth. This made it near impossible to actually get the hook under the bouy and then get the bouy onto the boat. (let alone the eye).

To make things worse, I used to be a sailing instructor and take great pride in my seamanship skills. We had a lovely audience on several boats who we could hear laughing and applauding. (I have never done that -ehem ehem)

To resolve the problem, we parked up at the marinas fuel dock and using the tender, took some line out to one of the moorings. Effectively, we attached our own Pendent.

We then went for round ten and tied off successfully on the first attempt.

The girl in the marina was lovely and still charged me full price even though we had to repair their mooring for them. But the fact remains the marina owners arent even checking their own moorings. This now leads me to hope they are structurally sound. Especially mine!

(Aussies in NSW PM me and I will tell you the name of the marina- Forewarned is fore-armed. )
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 21:17   #2

Boat: Catalina 400 MkII
Re: Damn marinas....

All this talk of pennants is a bit confusing. I think I would like a pennant on a mooring. However, here in the PNW I have yet to see one. We have to pick up a mooring just using the ring on the top of the mooring ball. It can be interesting at times. It may be that it is one of those newfangled inventions that hasn't yet made it here to the wilderness?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:06   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

dhays,

I'm pretty sure they're not new fangled. About 20 yrs. ago, we saw them in Australia, with a pole of some sort coming out of the center to a little device where you could hang the loop, so the pennant stayed dry and growth free. Too cool.

Cheers,

Ann
Old 03-08-2015, 22:40   #4

Boat: Jeanneau DS 49

We tried not to tie to a mooring in Oz because the mooring line was the size used in tying large ships and full of marine growth. Using an anchor is much better and easier being of course careful where and how shallow.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:14   #5

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
We tried not to tie to a mooring in Oz because the mooring line was the size used in tying large ships and full of marine growth. Using an anchor is much better and easier being of course careful where and how shallow.
Yes, that the problem with commercial moorings. The rope/s spend a long time in the water and get a substancial amount of growth. Hmm, might be worth carrying my own Pendant for coastal trips and stays on other commercial moorings.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:31   #6

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

I am currently on a marine parks mooring on Orpheous Island and have used about 6 of the same over the last couple of months.All have had pendants or mooring line attached but are of the type that floats separately of the mooring buoy and also used to secure the boat.Every single one has made an absolute mess of my boat and sometimes involve polishing to get the marks out and all have been of approx 70 mm or more so makes it really difficult to pick up with a standard boat hook.Must be a better way.
Mind you I am thankful that my past taxes have been put to some use and there are moorings free of charge in places like this.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:46   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
I am currently on a marine parks mooring on Orpheous Island and have used about 6 of the same over the last couple of months.All have had pendants or mooring line attached but are of the type that floats separately of the mooring buoy and also used to secure the boat.Every single one has made an absolute mess of my boat and sometimes involve polishing to get the marks out and all have been of approx 70 mm or more so makes it really difficult to pick up with a standard boat hook.Must be a better way.
Mind you I am thankful that my past taxes have been put to some use and there are moorings free of charge in places like this.
There should be a small tag located near the eye that can be used to pick up the pennant with a boat hook. I use a short length of 1" silver line with an eye splice at both ends as an "adaptor" that is fed through the eye of the big line and both ends of the adaptor are then placed over the mooring cleat on the boat. Keeps the grotty line away from the boat and allows you to use a smaller than otherwise required cleat!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas