Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2012, 16:50   #136

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
It is NOT 20 yards off the beach. Where does this stuff come from???

You can walk right up and touch the thing ten feet from the beach water line.
http://www.tampabay.com/multimedia/a...12_231343c.jpg

That's not 20 yards?
Old 24-07-2012, 16:53   #137
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
No, but she was actually on the beach with no water to float in. Kedging actually works. It's been done since keels were invented. No, you can't just pry the keel free, but kedging accompanied by digging on the opposite side will. I promise.

The rigging on a boat that size should handle no less than 5000lbs. The keel a much greater amount. The fact that sand fills back in the hole is a good thing in this instance. It means the sand is not compacted. The fact that the boat is not sinking any deeper means it is sitting on solid ground, and the 4 feet it's buried in is soft sand. (and yes, I have experience digging in underwater sand, and mud, and clay, and everything else)

We're talking about maybe a 15 foot length trench. How fast can 15 people (attempt to) dig 4 feet deep? It's a dig, pull, dig, pull, dig, pull, type of situation, but it will work.

close the hatches, it's a boat. It won't sink with a little water ingress from being on it's side. Once the keel is broke free from the sand, keep it on it's side, deploy a few more anchors and use the winches to drag it into deeper water.

This is not rocket science, it's not "miracle thinking", and it doesn't take an engineering degree, nor Mother Theresa to accomplish. Just a bit of manpower and a many hours of hard work.

How much is that gonna cost?

Of course kedging works, sometimes.

WHY are you so convinced that it (and numerous other solutions) haven't been tried???
Old 24-07-2012, 16:54   #138
cruiser

Quote:

Not at low tide. The boat is VERY close to shore, and will be a serious problem should another storm come along. Of course, how likely is that ...
Old 24-07-2012, 16:55   #139

Quote:
Of course kedging works, sometimes.

WHY are you so convinced that it (and numerous other solutions) haven't been tried???
I'm not assuming anything. I'm going by what has been posted in this thread and nobody has mentioned that this method has been attempted..

I've heard that people came out to "dig him out", but that would be obviously useless without the help of a proper kedge.

Are you saying you've seen 15 people digging with 2 or 3 anchors pulling on the masthead?
Old 24-07-2012, 16:58   #140
cruiser

Quote:

PS ... please take a look at the weather in that picture, including the rain drops on the lens. That was taken during the storm. We still had high tides hours after the tides had cleared. I was sitting on the bow of my boat reading because I wanted to be outside but the water was too high to get off the boat safely.

That boat truly is on the beach. That's no exaggeration.

If he's still living on it, where's the body waste going?
Old 24-07-2012, 17:00   #141
cruiser

Quote:
I'm not assuming anything. I'm going by what has been posted in this thread and nobody has mentioned that this method has been attempted..

I've heard that people came out to "dig him out", but that would be obviously useless without the help of a proper kedge.

Are you saying you've seen 15 people digging with 2 or 3 anchors pulling on the masthead?

No, I'm saying I personally know the people who tried it, and numerous other attempts. I was out of town helping someone else with his boat.
Old 24-07-2012, 17:00   #142

Quote:
PS ... please take a look at the weather in that picture, including the rain drops on the lens. That was taken during the storm. We still had high tides hours after the tides had cleared. I was sitting on the bow of my boat reading because I wanted to be outside but the water was too high to get off the boat safely.

That boat truly is on the beach. That's no exaggeration.

If he's still living on it, where's the body waste going?
I believe you! I'm not arguing. I was just answering your question "where does 20 yards come from". Which, BTW came from the original video, not this picture.

In the article it states that he was walking to the beach to use the bathhouse.
Old 24-07-2012, 17:03   #143

Boat: a sailing boat

Amber and gold diggers use gas engine driven pumps that suck water at one end and jet it out of the other end - this way the sand could be softened and the boat set free. This would not be expensive - hire the pumps and buy some gas.

Now the question is if she can be lifted and set on a trailer to be trailed to a location for repairs or just to trail her to a place where she can be put back into deep water. No problem to get a trailer into the water but not sure a crane could get to her.

If deep water is not too far off and if there is enough tidal range, perhaps she could be heeled over and dragged to the deep water?

I know I may be talking nonsense (and I do apologize for so doing), but I just watch the video for the nth time and it looks so doable.

b.
Old 24-07-2012, 17:05   #144
cruiser

Quote:
I believe you! I'm not arguing. I was just answering your question "where does 20 yards come from". Which, BTW came from the original video, not this picture.

In the article it states that he was walking to the beach to use the bathhouse.

He can certainly do that now simply by rolling up his pants legs ...

which means he had no good solution when he was anchored out. The Gulfport offers free pumpouts to any boat that comes in ... but your boat has to be movable. His was not.
Old 24-07-2012, 17:06   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Amber and gold diggers use gas engine driven pumps that suck water at one end and jet it out of the other end - this way the sand could be softened and the boat set free. This would not be expensive - hire the pumps and buy some gas.

Now the question is if she can be lifted and set on a trailer to be trailed to a location for repairs or just to trail her to a place where she can be put back into deep water. No problem to get a trailer into the water but not sure a crane could get to her.

If deep water is not too far off and if there is enough tidal range, perhaps she could be heeled over and dragged to the deep water?

I know I may be talking nonsense (and I do apologize for so doing), but I just watch the video for the nth time and it looks so doable.

b.

A lot of cities in FL, and also here in VA, have been known to use similar pumps to pump sand directly out of the ocean floor and onto the beach after a storm. It's not unreasable at all.

And also, Who's to say this guy can't come up with any money in the future to pay the bills either (maybe a few fundraisers later). The problem right now is everybody wants their money up front and the city wants their money yesterday.
Old 24-07-2012, 17:08   #146
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.

I wish it was do-able. In fact it's been tried. Personally I think he's a sweet man and I hate to see this happen to him, but it would be quite a drag to deep water for "this" boat. There are many places in Boca Ciega Bay where this boat, with its 7' keel, could not go even at high tide, much less low ...
Old 24-07-2012, 17:10   #147

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Rakuflames thanks for clearing up a few things, I was sure that we all were mis-informed about this. For me at least, I feel better that our fellow boaters in the area have given a fart about the plight of this guy.
Old 24-07-2012, 17:11   #148

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
Some interesting additional info on the subject...

Stuck in the sand on Gulfport Beach, his life at sea slides toward an unhappy end - Tampa Bay Times

At the end of the article, you can click on "comments". There are quite a few,
HOOEEE!!

You ain't kiddin dude.

Like this one. (#2)

I can't agree more. This man is a welfare con that ­"helps&qu­ot; people who will pony up to support him. There are few lower than that. He has taken advantage of everyone that has come in contact with him. There is a reason no one has tried to help get him out of the sand though there are several people that are fully capable of doing so, and have done so for no greater reward than "helping out someone in trouble". How do you suppose all the boats blown in during last years storm got back out. It wernt sea tow. The list of people goes on and on that would withhold urine that may be of benefit in extinguishing this mans hair if it were aflame.

Receipts that total 1000$ are held by one couple who tried to befriend him and buy a boat on a ­"gentlema­n's agreement" by making payments only to find he had no right to sell the boat to begin with. They decide it would be better to cut their losses than have to ever deal with him again. It is a shame Gulfport is getting grief for not doing more to help him when this city already is one of the most hospitable places in the area. People here all joined in to get the other boat out that was stuck on the beach, by hand, after the city said the owner couldn't bring in a crane that was offered to lift him out. Come on people wake up.

Oh yea what about the other boat he rammed on his way in the first time during this storm. They were doing fine even though they only have a couple years experience on the water till they had to cut their anchor lines to let Jay slide by so they wouldn't go with him. His last boat was known affectionately as "Rainbow Drifter" due to the number of times he broke loose, sometimes being saved by getting tangled in other peoples anchors.

and 200+ to go. There goes some of my evening. I shall enjoy getting "the rest of the story".
Old 24-07-2012, 17:12   #149
cruiser

Quote:
A lot of cities in FL, and also here in VA, have been known to use similar pumps to pump sand directly out of the ocean floor and onto the beach after a storm. It's not unreasable at all. Who's to say this guy can't come up with any money in the future to pay the bills either (maybe a few fundraisers later). The problem right now is everybody wants their money up front and the city wants their money yesterday.

No, the city does not want its money yesterday.

Who's to say the man can't come up with the money? THE MAN LIVING ON THE BOAT HAS SAID SO!

Meanwhile fundraising attempts are ongoing. OF COURSE people in business want to be sure they will get paid. Right now there are barges off Clearwater Beach sucking up sand and depositing it on the depleted beach. What do you suppose that costs? It's worth it to Clearwater Beach because they keep getting listed as the #1 or #2 beach in the country by the Travel Channel.

Where are we going to get the money to do that?
Old 24-07-2012, 17:17   #150

Quote:
No, the city does not want its money yesterday.

Who's to say the man can't come up with the money? THE MAN LIVING ON THE BOAT HAS SAID SO!

Meanwhile fundraising attempts are ongoing. OF COURSE people in business want to be sure they will get paid. Right now there are barges off Clearwater Beach sucking up sand and depositing it on the depleted beach. What do you suppose that costs? It's worth it to Clearwater Beach because they keep getting listed as the #1 or #2 beach in the country by the Travel Channel.

Where are we going to get the money to do that?
I'm talking about a beach-based pump, and less than hour of pumping. And again, I'm all for the 'more involved kedging method' that doesn't cost a dime.

The guy doesn't have any money right now, but as you said, he is a very kind person and people like him. I've seen many fundraisers happen after the fact. I for one would contribute a few bucks.

Heck, I see sailors raising $10's of thousands, just to go sailing! they aren't make that money themselves, they're simply asking for it! But I guess a poor guy in need is not as worthy a cause as a someone wanting to take off on an adventure.

I know very well how businesses work. They can't dare spare a day of their time and loose a few grand. That would be blasphemy.

Tags
yacht