Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2012, 16:18   #451
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone
i am just pissing myself laughing over this thread jumping from dog **** covered decks to moderately obscure facets of SSI.

CF is like the best place ever!

-steve
+1 ain't it though?!

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 01-08-2012, 11:46   #452

Boat: 1991 Catalina 42; 2008 BMW R 1200 GS
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

"Promise" is off the beach! Everyone worked hard, and I didn't hear any reports of injuries. A local brought volunteers a huge spread of food. What an awesome thing it was to see and be involved with so many people working together. I'm looking forward to the videos and photos to come...
Old 01-08-2012, 12:04   #453
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

INcredible! As a pessimist, I'm absolutely delighted to be wrong and to hear there was a happy ending here. Waiting with bated breath for the details.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13   #454

Boat: private yacht always moving

now maybe he will clean his boat up,,, wonder if he said thank you to everybody
Old 01-08-2012, 13:00   #455
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ
Doubt either will happen but at least now if he ends up on the beach again noone will feel guilty or rush to joust this windmill again.

I sincerely hope he sees what was done for him, but i wont hold my breath for change. Change comes from within, not from the outside.

You all did the right thing and i am proud to be a distant part of a community that cares and more importantly acts to help others.

If i cross any of your paths i will offer my best alcohol, coldest beers or tastiest food to all of you who were on that beach.

Cheers

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 01-08-2012, 13:19   #456

Boat: Bristol 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianstanfill View Post
"Promise" is off the beach! Everyone worked hard, and I didn't hear any reports of injuries. A local brought volunteers a huge spread of food. What an awesome thing it was to see and be involved with so many people working together. I'm looking forward to the videos and photos to come...
AWESOME!! A shining example of grass root success once again, when government falls short.

You guys and gals should be proud. I'll say this once again:

"The cruising community is a community in the sense of the word before it came to describe merely a collection of houses".
Old 01-08-2012, 13:20   #457
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

GOOD WORK!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 13:48   #458

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianstanfill View Post
Bravo!

Congrats and respect to all participants. This too is what sailing is about: helping each other and having fun so doing.

barnakiel
Old 01-08-2012, 14:29   #459
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhprop View Post
avb3 wrote:

" Actually, it is registered. A quick search reveals that Jay (real name John) is the owner. Vessel Documentation Query "

The vessel is documented, not registered. Registered means that he is legally in the state of Florida and is paying taxes, which he is not.

Federal documentation does not relieve the owner from registering with the state.

The taxes on any boat registered in the State of Florida, if the boat is 30 years old or older, is exactly $6.25.

Really.
Old 01-08-2012, 15:03   #460

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
According to one of the news stories, he "thanked everybody" from his hospital bed. I don't doubt that he's appreciative, even if he never really shows it. Now, lets just hope he shows it by at least cleaning up a bit and keeping the boat 'anchor worthy'.
Old 01-08-2012, 18:51   #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy

According to one of the news stories, he "thanked everybody" from his hospital bed. I don't doubt that he's appreciative, even if he never really shows it. Now, lets just hope he shows it by at least cleaning up a bit and keeping the boat 'anchor worthy'.
I'm down for a 20 with even odds that nothing changes.
Old 01-08-2012, 19:00   #462

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Hi everyone, and thanks to all who have patted our backs. I will try to explain what happened over that past few days as best as I can. This was truly one of the best sailing experiences I have had and I wasn't even sailing.

I talked with Knothead several times on the phone over the weekend and it was obvious that he needed some help as soon as possible, so I volunteered to drive up on Monday. He offered me a place on his couch, so I loaded up and showed up Monday around low tide.

After seeing the boat in person, and the tasks at hand, I could see we had our jobs cut out for us. We found a storage unit for Jay's stuff that was donated, and a local paid for a couple of days of U-haul truck rental. The rest of the evening was taken up by removing as much stuff as we could while still leaving the cockroaches behind. This boat was not a healthy boat. We set 5 bug bombs off and left it for the night to return on Tuesday to hopefully remove the rest of Jays stuff.

On Tuesday morning we floated a dingy out and removed the rest of Jays stuff, while Knothead and his partner stegthened the mast and rigging. We made many, many trips. We had local volunteers who also helped. We filled a large U-haul truck with nasty junk. Very little, IMHO was worth anything. Knothead, described it to many people as the show "Horders: Burried Alive" on steroids. There was still some stuff on the boat, but anything that weighed more than a few pounds was removed. Tuesday at low tide we had about 6 or so volunteers with shovels, and using a gas powered pump we removed as much sand as we could and the boat stared to lean. We also tied Knotheads sail boat to the mast with a line and started pulling. The boat was leaning about 15-20 degrees.

Today, we got an early start. Knothead slept on his boat last night, and we had 6 or so sailboats anchored about 75 yards off in the bay. We then ran as many lines to the anchored sailboats and started pulling with winchs while waiting for high tide. The boat started leaning more and more as more lines and tension were applied. We also tied an old dingy to the masthead filled with water. We also had 20 or 30 people show up willing to push, which is what you saw on the vidieo. Without all the volunteers who pushed and the sailboats with winches pulling, this would never have happened. It was a collective effort and all who helped should be thanked.

So after much effort and cheers the boat broke free. Once the boat was in about 5 ft of water we were able to pull it off the sandy bottem with a power boat.

I would like to personally thank Steve (Knothead) and his wife and all the unnamed volenteers of Gulfport. They were a true delight and new lifelong friends. Also, if you ever need ANY rigging work on your boat, or even advice please call Steve or SSMR for all your rigging needs. He will do a great job at a very reasonable price. (Sorry Steve I just had to put that in there.)

I also would like to say that during this whole process, I was extremely doubtfull that we would be successful, but Knotheads faith never wavered. The boat does have a 6.5 ft to 7ft draft and once was a blue water boat. It is very heavy.

After pulling the boat out, we then had 2 50lb anchors and 100 ft of chain with 1 inch rode that we anchored to boat with. It should hold it for a while......?

Thanks agin Knothead (Steve)
Old 01-08-2012, 19:37   #463

Boat: Seaward 22

good for you guys......you are helping to restore my faith in humanity.
Old 01-08-2012, 20:56   #464
cruiser

Goodonya Rocket (et. al.).
Old 01-08-2012, 21:02   #465

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Way to go...I'm proud of you all.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Closed Thread

Tags
yacht