Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2012, 12:06   #331

Location: Bristol PA, on the Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht club.
Boat: Oday 30, 4'11" draft
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Can Someone do the math? weight of boat, friction of sand, effort of pull required? Would love see some of the inflatable rollers the big salvage crews use! I know.. there is a cost problem. just saying... 2 required.. longways port and starboard tied together...about 4ft dia...pump up.. a catamaran!
Old 27-07-2012, 12:08   #332
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
0800 would be a great time for people to show up.
I think I would say Gulfport Beach
I will email you my cell number with the photo. (if I can figure out how to email a full res photo)

I agree with you about the new thread. This one is getting pretty long.
Would you or someone else start it? I will be happy to reply, but I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to blow my own horn.

It looks like I need to start calling some print shops.

You're the greatest Smack.
You should start it since you're coordinating it. I don't think anyone around here is going to think you're tooting your own horn. If they do, they're boneheads.

I'll make the tweaks to the digital version and have it up in a few minutes.

Once it's right - everyone else feel free to spread it around.
Old 27-07-2012, 12:13   #333

Location: Bristol PA, on the Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht club.
Boat: Oday 30, 4'11" draft

go on and toot Knot!

Hey Lake Effect! send the Great Lake Warriors down! (new show on History Channel)
Old 27-07-2012, 12:19   #334
cruiser

Here you go knot. I can make tweaks to this and replace the file so it will update for everyone that links to it (if something changes, etc.).

Go for it!

Old 27-07-2012, 12:22   #335

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Knot - get me the details you want on the flyer. Here's a first pass:
Its on my page Thomas Bodine | Facebook
Old 27-07-2012, 12:22   #336
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinman View Post
wow, talk about assumptions..

who said he had a bad attitude? and who is writing him off, at least not everyone here is writing him off...

I just wont donate to anyone directly anymore.... a trust fund or some way to assure that the funds are going to the purpose needed/requested would be a good thing...

And in fact I just talked with someone from another sailing group looking for a way to help the man. Sailors are a helpful bunch of people. That's certainly what my experience has been.
Old 27-07-2012, 12:25   #337
cruiser

Quote:
0800 would be a great time for people to show up.
I think I would say Gulfport Beach
I will email you my cell number with the photo. (if I can figure out how to email a full res photo)

I agree with you about the new thread. This one is getting pretty long.
Would you or someone else start it? I will be happy to reply, but I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to blow my own horn.

It looks like I need to start calling some print shops.

You're the greatest Smack.

Make sure the change includes "FLORIDA" so people don't go to that other one!
Old 27-07-2012, 12:26   #338
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Here you go knot. I can make tweaks to this and replace the file so it will update for everyone that links to it (if something changes, etc.).

Go for it!

Oops I was afraid of that -- add FLORIDA.
Old 27-07-2012, 12:27   #339
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
And in fact I just talked with someone from another sailing group looking for a way to help the man. Sailors are a helpful bunch of people. That's certainly what my experience has been.

PS please email me the finished flyer here so I can send it to the group of people I know are looking to help.
Old 27-07-2012, 12:35   #340

Boat: Nor Sea 27'

Smack, my computer kept crashing when I tried to attach the photo. So I opened the photo and there was an option to email. I clicked it and Outlook opened.
Please let me know if you got it.

All, Barbara at Minuteman press on Central Ave in Saint Petersburg has graciously agreed to print the flyers free. She said that she is happy to give back a little to the community.

Also, Please wait until Smack comes up with the finished product before using it. I'm sure he is going to make it clear that it's Gulfport, FL.
Old 27-07-2012, 12:39   #341
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Are you suggesting that someone start a new thread? I like the title if so.
"Pitch in and help". Works for me.
As you are co-ordinating the rescue effort I think you should start the new thread (just would kinda fit together better).....and then ask the Mods to lock this thread - with a link in the last post directing folks to the new thread (saves getting the story spread too far around).

For the new Thread I suggest:-

Community Yacht Rescue - Pitch in & Help! - August 1st

Stuck IN the beach! (Gulfport Beach, Florida).

A Yacht with 7 foot of draft in 3 foot of water! washed ashore during Tropical Storm Debbie - Help needed to drag her into deeper water (boots on the ground - not cash - extra equipment also useful) - Target date August 1st.

Further background details:-

Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Please post offers of help here, whether that be lending some muscle, bringing extra anchors (the more the better) or simply shooting some video! All help will be found a task!

and I would add a photo (the poster).

-------------

I have now set up a Facebook page specifically for this effort - it's only my second one, so don't expect a miracle of viral marketing from me! (and if anyone else wants to take it over - I will be more than happy to oblige ).......will add a few photos, a brief background and the rescue plan, plus links to the old and the new CF thread and to any video and news stories - plus pretty much what anyone else suggests.

Gulfport Beach - Community Yacht Rescue | Facebook
Old 27-07-2012, 12:40   #342
cruiser

Quote:
Smack, my computer kept crashing when I tried to attach the photo. So I opened the photo and there was an option to email. I clicked it and Outlook opened.

All, Barbara at Minuteman press on Central Ave in Saint Petersburg has graciously agreed to print the flyers free. She said that she is happy to give back a little to the community.

Also, Please wait until Smack comes up with the finished product before using it. I'm sure he is going to make it clear that it's Gulfport, FL.
Cool. I'll let you know when it comes through. Just send my email info to Barbara and I'll get her the file.
Old 27-07-2012, 12:53   #343
cruiser

Quote:

One of the things I note here is the Aug. 1 date. If for some reason you aren't successful on Wednesday, you'll know a lot more about the situation and maybe be able to come up with a Plan B before the deadline.

You might also find that if real, concerted and sensible attempts are being made, the city might extend the deadline. They aren't bad guys or bullies. They set the deadline because they know it helps galvanize action. keep them informed and you may find they will work with you at least some.
Old 27-07-2012, 12:54   #344
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Ok Lads. I have shared the image on facebook. If there is any interest i will let you know.

Here is the list of cities on Craigs List for Florida. I can post for you but let me know the cities that are closest. Also let me know of any big sities like Miami etc. as we should also post there.

Please stick with the Thread name on the latest flyer as I have already posted that flyer and we need to have a direction for people to go to.

Ideally you should have an email address for them to contact as well. Set a temp one up in gmail as you will get bombarded...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 27-07-2012, 12:59   #345
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Raku brings up a good point...

...if the city sees action and interest they will defo lend assistance. Nothing like 50 bodies and two or more camera vans to get a local government to action...

All this is exciting, but the most important part of this whole thing is the tough love that needs to happen with the Capt.

If it were me I would make him sign something known as a "social contract". Most on this thread believe that he will likely not hcange his ways. So what one can do is put in writing that this is the last time he will recieve assistance and get him to sign it. Then put a copy with the City Council, Harbor Master, Tow Services, etc. so everyone knows.

If he pulls this stunt again, no one will feel bad as the relevant parties can pull out the notice and say "We kept our end of the bargain and gave you that last chance mate, you however didnt." The boat is scrapped immediately and pulled off the beach without any of this nonsense and all of us bleeding hearts trying once again to save someone from thier own poor decisions.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Closed Thread

Tags
yacht