Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2012, 20:46   #376
Registered User
 
lannen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gulfport Fl
Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
Posts: 177
Images: 9
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

HI,

While all you guys and gals are helping please remember to wear your latex gloves. His dog has used the decks of the boat for the past several years and what the rain has not washed away, the sun has baked in.

Also, he has not had a working MSD on the boat for numerous years either. (yes, he has citations for this) Also, don't think about using the mast to haul him over, it's broken below the spreaders.

Additionally, he does not have an engine onboard, so no help there. Basically the boat has been static in front of the beach for the last several years. His other boat has a busted off mast and is another abandoned derelict. It's been anchored off the beach for the last seven years or so, and is still here. That one is white, with a red boot stripe. (no mast) It also has some foul odors emitting from it as well. You will see it out to the left of Williams Pier behind the sunk derelict with the mast sticking up out of the water.

I would personally appreciate it if you could help him with that boat as well. It's been a black eye on our community for numerous years now and all of us are at our whits end with this situation. If you have ever anchored near him, anytime within the past six or seven years, the 24/7 generator running some 110 household appliances, combined with the overboard sewage and doggie discharge would have... well, I'm sure you understand.

Also, I don't know if he can actually sail as neither of his boats can get underway, except in a storm. So I don't know if this qualifies him as a 'Mariner'.

If you don't see him at the boat, just check the local bars along the beach. He could probably use some help with the bar tab as well.

As a local resident and active sailor, thanks for helping him out, and an extra thanks if one of you would get his other abandoned derelict boat working too.

Again, thanks.
__________________

__________________
S/V AbbyGale
lannen is offline  
Old 28-07-2012, 21:13   #377
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,781
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

lannen--the best way to get him out of your hair is to assist in the repairs and relocations. are you going to be there?? is a good excuse to help clean a beach, as you desired.....
__________________

zeehag is online now  
Old 28-07-2012, 21:17   #378
Registered User
 
goldiphlox's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ft Myers Fl
Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24
Posts: 169
Images: 1
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
lannen--the best way to get him out of your hair is to assist in the repairs and relocations. are you going to be there?? is a good excuse to help clean a beach, as you desired.....
__________________
goldiphlox is offline  
Old 28-07-2012, 23:32   #379
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
lannen--the best way to get him out of your hair is to assist in the repairs and relocations. are you going to be there?? is a good excuse to help clean a beach, as you desired.....

Zee, no one has "relocation" planned. He'll be right off the beach in Gulfport again, with no MSD and ground tackle that is likely to fail in another storm. That's the reality of it. What people do is their own choices, but it's an entirely different situation than if, say, it had been your boat. For you this would be a short-term crisis and with a little help you would be on your boat -- responsibly -- on the water again.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline  
Old 29-07-2012, 01:10   #380
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lannen
HI,

While all you guys and gals are helping please remember to wear your latex gloves. His dog has used the decks of the boat for the past several years and what the rain has not washed away, the sun has baked in.

Also, he has not had a working MSD on the boat for numerous years either. (yes, he has citations for this) Also, don't think about using the mast to haul him over, it's broken below the spreaders.

Additionally, he does not have an engine onboard, so no help there. Basically the boat has been static in front of the beach for the last several years. His other boat has a busted off mast and is another abandoned derelict. It's been anchored off the beach for the last seven years or so, and is still here. That one is white, with a red boot stripe. (no mast) It also has some foul odors emitting from it as well. You will see it out to the left of Williams Pier behind the sunk derelict with the mast sticking up out of the water.

I would personally appreciate it if you could help him with that boat as well. It's been a black eye on our community for numerous years now and all of us are at our whits end with this situation. If you have ever anchored near him, anytime within the past six or seven years, the 24/7 generator running some 110 household appliances, combined with the overboard sewage and doggie discharge would have... well, I'm sure you understand.

Also, I don't know if he can actually sail as neither of his boats can get underway, except in a storm. So I don't know if this qualifies him as a 'Mariner'.

If you don't see him at the boat, just check the local bars along the beach. He could probably use some help with the bar tab as well.

As a local resident and active sailor, thanks for helping him out, and an extra thanks if one of you would get his other abandoned derelict boat working too.

Again, thanks.
I'm with you on this one. "captain" Jack, or whatever his name is, is exactly the type of person who makes a stain on the waterfront (literally and figuratively) for the rest of us. This is the guy using boats as flop houses, having others clean up after his mess, and sucking up tax money. He and others like him are why dye tablets get dropped in heads, anchorages get shut down or severely regulated, and moorings that can be better managed are sprouting up everywhere.
__________________
rebel heart is offline  
Old 29-07-2012, 01:21   #381
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

And someone take that dog away from him and give it a decent home.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline  
Old 29-07-2012, 05:09   #382
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,046
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Good luck to all of you who care. I know your hearts are certainly in the right place. But I don't know if I can totally agree with this effort. No one loves his freedom more than I and I believe people should be left alone no matter what their exccentricities are. But as the old saying goes, "Freedom isn't always free" I'm having a hard time not comparing this rescue to giving the drug addled alcoholic pan handler begging at a busy intersection $5 to get something to eat when you know full well what that $5 dollars will really be used for. Enabling someone to further their possible destructive lifestyle, a lifestyle that obvoiusly affects others negatively as well, is not furthering the concept of this mans or other obviously affected peoples freedoms or rights. If any member on this board asked me to help them I'd make serious effort to be there and help. But I think what will be accomplished here will only be delaying the eventuality. If this boat sinks, becomes unliviable, to even this man, he will simply move back aboard the last one he abandoned not far away or find another boat, leaving others again to deal with what he left behind. So where there are now two there will be three. Again, I applaud your efforts and intentions but I'm afraid your efforts and good intentions will be less than rewarded in this particular instance. As rebel heart accuratly implys, the continuation of this mans endeavors and lack of concern for his fellow citizens will cost the rest of us in further regulations and less good will by towns and the locals, the majority who are not boaters of any kind, that feel they have to foot not only the bills but suffer the loss of the tourism and peacful exisitance caused by this man. This man has not chosen to live his life on some far away unknown Atoll. He has chosen to live this way in a populated area he has a direct impact on. His rights are no more important than the others, and end where others begin.
Tellie is offline  
Old 29-07-2012, 06:05   #383
Registered User
 
lannen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gulfport Fl
Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
Posts: 177
Images: 9
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
lannen--the best way to get him out of your hair is to assist in the repairs and relocations. are you going to be there?? is a good excuse to help clean a beach, as you desired.....
Yes, I'll be here. I'm one of the many residents in support of scrapping this boat. Unless.... hey, here's an idea.

Where is your marina/boat? We can relocate him next to you and you can supervise his rehabilitation. Just think of the great karma you would receive in return!

Thanks again, all of the residents and boaters who are here, and have been here for years (unlike all the distant unaffected advisors) would sincerely appreciate anyone who would relocate his two boats.

We are all actually quite sick of it...
__________________
S/V AbbyGale
lannen is offline  
Old 29-07-2012, 06:37   #384
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'm with you on this one. "captain" Jack, or whatever his name is, is exactly the type of person who makes a stain on the waterfront (literally and figuratively) for the rest of us. This is the guy using boats as flop houses, having others clean up after his mess, and sucking up tax money. He and others like him are why dye tablets get dropped in heads, anchorages get shut down or severely regulated, and moorings that can be better managed are sprouting up everywhere.

This is the feelings of a lot of the locals at this point.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline  
Old 29-07-2012, 06:39   #385
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Good luck to all of you who care. I know your hearts are certainly in the right place. But I don't know if I can totally agree with this effort. No one loves his freedom more than I and I believe people should be left alone no matter what their exccentricities are. But as the old saying goes, "Freedom isn't always free" I'm having a hard time not comparing this rescue to giving the drug addled alcoholic pan handler begging at a busy intersection $5 to get something to eat when you know full well what that $5 dollars will really be used for. Enabling someone to further their possible destructive lifestyle, a lifestyle that obvoiusly affects others negatively as well, is not furthering the concept of this mans or other obviously affected peoples freedoms or rights. If any member on this board asked me to help them I'd make serious effort to be there and help. But I think what will be accomplished here will only be delaying the eventuality. If this boat sinks, becomes unliviable, to even this man, he will simply move back aboard the last one he abandoned not far away or find another boat, leaving others again to deal with what he left behind. So where there are now two there will be three. Again, I applaud your efforts and intentions but I'm afraid your efforts and good intentions will be less than rewarded in this particular instance. As rebel heart accuratly implys, the continuation of this mans endeavors and lack of concern for his fellow citizens will cost the rest of us in further regulations and less good will by towns and the locals, the majority who are not boaters of any kind, that feel they have to foot not only the bills but suffer the loss of the tourism and peacful exisitance caused by this man. This man has not chosen to live his life on some far away unknown Atoll. He has chosen to live this way in a populated area he has a direct impact on. His rights are no more important than the others, and end where others begin.

If I believed he would maintain his ground tackle, take care of his dog (just really cruel to never walk a dog, they need to go for walks and all it takes is a dinghy ride) ... and have some way to deal with his sanitation issues I would be much more positive about it.

Pumping out is free at Gulfport Marina, but he has no way to get there.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline  
Old 29-07-2012, 07:03   #386
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,056
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

So much for "there but for the grace of god go I", huh?
__________________
hellosailor is offline  
Old 29-07-2012, 07:52   #387
cruiser

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tampa to New York
Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Posts: 1,594
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannen View Post
HI,

While all you guys and gals are helping please remember to wear your latex gloves. His dog has used the decks of the boat for the past several years and what the rain has not washed away, the sun has baked in.

Also, he has not had a working MSD on the boat for numerous years either. (yes, he has citations for this) Also, don't think about using the mast to haul him over, it's broken below the spreaders.

Additionally, he does not have an engine onboard, so no help there. Basically the boat has been static in front of the beach for the last several years. His other boat has a busted off mast and is another abandoned derelict. It's been anchored off the beach for the last seven years or so, and is still here. That one is white, with a red boot stripe. (no mast) It also has some foul odors emitting from it as well. You will see it out to the left of Williams Pier behind the sunk derelict with the mast sticking up out of the water.

I would personally appreciate it if you could help him with that boat as well. It's been a black eye on our community for numerous years now and all of us are at our whits end with this situation. If you have ever anchored near him, anytime within the past six or seven years, the 24/7 generator running some 110 household appliances, combined with the overboard sewage and doggie discharge would have... well, I'm sure you understand.

Also, I don't know if he can actually sail as neither of his boats can get underway, except in a storm. So I don't know if this qualifies him as a 'Mariner'.

If you don't see him at the boat, just check the local bars along the beach. He could probably use some help with the bar tab as well.

As a local resident and active sailor, thanks for helping him out, and an extra thanks if one of you would get his other abandoned derelict boat working too.

Again, thanks.
The second boat your referring to was traded last year for a perkins diesel and a generator. The new owner is a scrapper that parts out boats and cuts them up for the lead in the keel. He found out the keel was concrete and abandoned plans to haul it and cut it up.Not Jays boat or problem anymore, title has been transferred out of his name.

Yes cant understand the dog feces and how someone could live like that.
Again a small powerboat will blow out the sand and get her floating using the propwash. i did the same thing helping another boat that was washed up there. In one tide i was able to get it from laying on its side to upright turned and moved about 10 feet. This was done with a dinghy and 3.5 hp motor.I volunteered my time on that one when i saw people attempting to use a gas powered pump to do the same. Im a 1000 mi sail away or Id help out again.

Jay has been trying to fixup the boat, but imagine how much is leftover out of his fixed income after basic life needs are met. Then imagine how many months of saving it would take to buy something like motor mounts to install that perkins. At one time I had 2 boats at gulfport.
my project boat had a150lb ships anchor with 1" line. It came very close to ending up the same way. I rescued it when it was halfway across the bay. The 1" line had been cut about 30' from the bow. Later I saw that pontoon boat cruising thru the anchorage going across the bow of several moored boats. An idiot or intentionally trying to cut rodes?
__________________
forsailbyowner is offline  
Old 29-07-2012, 08:07   #388
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Knothead needs to be commended for spearheading the removal effort.

For those that suggest one is just helping a derelict person continue their lifestyle, remember that Knothead was quiet blunt about what 'Capt Jay' needs to do... sort of the tough love thing.

Most of us probably suspect that the effect of that tough love will wear off fast, but that is not the point.

The efforts gets rid of the immediate problem of the boat on the beach, it keeps an otherwise homeless man off the streets and all the problems that may bring, and perhaps as important, it brings together not only the local sailing community, but as already shown, the broader one.

How is that not a good thing?
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 29-07-2012, 08:17   #389
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,781
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

raku--i dont believe the plan is to dig it and leave it as is--relocation is necessary to make boat not be in short water.
rofl....try it-is called relocation by those who use brains and thinking. relocate boat from the shallows into the deep water.
i think lannen wants a roommate-- where, lannen, do you intend to place the man after you destroy his boat--he still needs housing--mebbe your place????
zeehag is online now  
Old 29-07-2012, 08:35   #390
Senior Cruiser
 
Rocketman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Naples, FL
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Posts: 668
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Ok everybody, lets calm down.

Knothead and I are trying to get this situation undercontrol.

First off, we will be trying to remove this boat for the community, more so then for Capt'n Jay and his boat. He has agreed that his actions to this point are a problem. Non of us think that Capt'n Jay is a resoncable boat owner. We are going to address this issues once we free his boat. This is a whole different issue.

Knothead needs help, with electronic correspondence, he is getting overwelmed tring to keep up with it all. He needs to someone to manage this part of the attempt.

Please, until we make our attempt on Wen lets keep the opinions about to help or not to help to a minumim.

If you can help let us know, please email me directly or through the site directly

jjzidek@aol.com
__________________

__________________
Rocketman is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
yacht

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:56.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.