Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2012, 13:00   #346

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Cool. I'll let you know when it comes through. Just send my email info to Barbara and I'll get her the file.
I included her email with the photo. Hope it comes through.
Old 27-07-2012, 13:04   #347
cruiser

contact a local radio show, AM show, or talk radio or many different radio stations...

I will donate money for food/drinks... Knothead, send me you paypal addy and I will send money...

or, I can create a webpage for you...

Im not artistic or anything, but can use your pics, and create a pics page, and or a contacts page, and email addresses with the domain name, ie knothead@rescuingcapnjim.com or whatever name you come up with...
foolishsailor seems like a good name for this website, but I see that that name is taken... heheheh

or, I can give the money I would spend on the webpage to someone else who can design/create web pages better then me...
Old 27-07-2012, 13:06   #348
cruiser

i would also reccomend contacting the local bars and restaurants to get them to 'sponsor' the effort.... they can get their name on the flyers for donating money, or food/drinks???
Old 27-07-2012, 13:07   #349
cruiser

also make sure the city gives a permit or approval for the effort along with any parking passes and relief from citations...

I would also contact an attorney to get a release/waiver from Capn Jim and the volunteers to hold you harmless for everything!@!!!!!!! Have the city sign that waiver as well....

what a sad world we live in to have to get attys involved... and to CYA
Old 27-07-2012, 13:10   #350
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

can someone please create the thread "Pitch In and Help" quickly? I have freinds looking for it.

Put whatever you wnat as the opening thread but it should contain all relevant info with the pic as well. Im off tonight, but if it isnt up tomorrow (im in Ireland) ill put it up meself.

Helpful would be the website mentioned, an email addy as well. Hard to get the digital generation on board without, and you want them cause they will look at this as a fun day out versus a day of work...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 27-07-2012, 13:20   #351
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinman View Post
or, I can create a webpage for you...
I think a webpage falls under the "more the merrier" banner ......if you do create something I will post a link on the FB Page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gulfpo...52842311485140

Knothead - if you can come up with a broad wishlist for volunteers to bring (Anchors & Beer? ) then you can post it into the ....new thread - when it arrives .....and I will cut and paste it onto the FB page.

I will also add your e-mail address / contact details onto the FB page if you want (I suggest creating a new E-mail address for this!).

Half an idea of the plan would also be useful to do the same with (onto FB)....unless I have missed a post?
Old 27-07-2012, 13:27   #352
cruiser

i would prefer if Knothead would direct or coordinate the info needed for the website/webpage... or designate a person...

you can use this link to determine if the suggested name is available...

Search, reserve, register domain names from checkdomain.com
Old 27-07-2012, 13:33   #353
cruiser

Nothing yet knot. No biggie though. Just re-send her email address and we'll see if what we have will work.

In the mean time...I've pm'd you the final draft. If you're good with it, go ahead and use the link to start the new thread.
Old 27-07-2012, 13:33   #354

Boat: Nor Sea 27'

Everyone, I'm getting a little overwhelmed but I'll do my best to address everything.

I did start the Pitch In And Help thread. I'll go back and link the photo. Forgot that.

I like the local restaurant idea. thanks.

I don't have a paypal thing and I really don't want to be involved with money at all.
If someone else wants to head that up it would be great.
Raku maybe? She's local. Same with the website. It's about all I can do to post to forums.

I will be working directly with Dennis, the harbormaster. The city manager is going to have him contact me and I will address all the issues with him.

Alcohol isn't allowed on the beach if I remember correctly.
Old 27-07-2012, 13:37   #355

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24

Alcohol is really not a good idea anyway....maybe after...a pub stop to celebrate VICTORY!
Old 27-07-2012, 13:42   #356
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Raku brings up a good point...

...if the city sees action and interest they will defo lend assistance. Nothing like 50 bodies and two or more camera vans to get a local government to action...

All this is exciting, but the most important part of this whole thing is the tough love that needs to happen with the Capt.

If it were me I would make him sign something known as a "social contract". Most on this thread believe that he will likely not hcange his ways. So what one can do is put in writing that this is the last time he will recieve assistance and get him to sign it. Then put a copy with the City Council, Harbor Master, Tow Services, etc. so everyone knows.

If he pulls this stunt again, no one will feel bad as the relevant parties can pull out the notice and say "We kept our end of the bargain and gave you that last chance mate, you however didnt." The boat is scrapped immediately and pulled off the beach without any of this nonsense and all of us bleeding hearts trying once again to save someone from thier own poor decisions.

The old "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me ..."

I am concerned that he does not have the means to keep his boat safely at anchor long-term. It doesn't take a lot of money, but maybe more than he has available to him. We could give him five sets of tackle tomorrow, but at some time they will be close to failing. Will he notice, and if he does, will he have the means to do something about it? I wouldn't object to continuing to help him with that but it has to be thought about. If his boat goes aground again because he did not have the money to keep his tackle in good shape, is that his fault?
Old 27-07-2012, 13:43   #357
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Everyone, I'm getting a little overwhelmed but I'll do my best to address everything.

I did start the Pitch In And Help thread. I'll go back and link the photo. Forgot that.

I like the local restaurant idea. thanks.

I don't have a paypal thing and I really don't want to be involved with money at all.
If someone else wants to head that up it would be great.
Raku maybe? She's local. Same with the website. It's about all I can do to post to forums.

I will be working directly with Dennis, the harbormaster. The city manager is going to have him contact me and I will address all the issues with him.

Alcohol isn't allowed on the beach if I remember correctly.

Knothead I'm going to be out of town helping someone else with his boat.
Old 27-07-2012, 14:40   #358
Armchair Bucketeer

For anyone else who mislaid the new thread , it's here:-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...elp-86177.html

and another plug for the FB page

Gulfport Beach - Community Yacht Rescue | Facebook

Which does include a copy of the poster

Old 27-07-2012, 18:53   #359
cruiser

the money i offered was for whomever would be buying drinks, water, food for any volunteers that show up and help...
Old 27-07-2012, 19:47   #360

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I don't really trust anyone who calls themselves "captain" and wears one of those ridiculous hats.

...Hey...nice shirt on your Avatar...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Closed Thread

Tags
yacht