Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2012, 07:45   #226

Boat: custom 42' catamaran
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Mike OReilly wrote "what FS wrote, and what you quoted, is a collection of facts -- real data which anyone can confirm." ==> OK

"Your point about the wealthy paying most of the US taxes is also true" ==> OK

"it is hard to stay quiet when myth is promulgated as fact." ==> Curious, since they were acknowledged as facts a moment ago.
Old 26-07-2012, 09:09   #227
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
earlier was stated he is ssi recipient--meaning he hasnt a chance in hell of finding another home. not on land nor on water. this boat is his home.
i do not advocate sending money but i think someone nearby with the ability could possibly assist in the removal of his home. do we really NEED to ADD to the homeless count??? are folks here that heartless?? isnt money to be sent-is assistance needed
hmm, werent you the recipient of a few thousand dollars for some boat repairs that ultimately cost you a few hundred bucks? (used the extra money for other boat things unrelated to the original 'urgent nature' request?

and now you cant advocate the sending of money to this guy???

hmm
Old 26-07-2012, 09:36   #228

Boat: Nor Sea 27'

Here are some photos of the boat as of an hour ago. Can someone identify her? For what it's worth, I called out, very loudly three times to the boat from about thirty feet away after a beach goer told me that he was aboard. There was no response. Not even the dog. He hasn't tried to contact me as yet.

Old 26-07-2012, 10:01   #229

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Some one else posted that it looks like a 1976 Coronado, which it does to me also, but the Coronado for sail in CA does not have a full keel. from the pics of Capt. Jays boat it does look like a full keel but it is a little hard to tell. If we knew the length of Capt. Jays boat we might be able to determine the make. Does it have a vin number in the cockpit or aft transom that is readable. I may have been documented at sometime so there may be a number somewhere that could be used to look it up. The FL number may also be used to determine is make and registered owner.
Old 26-07-2012, 10:10   #230

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

This might be the boat . . . or not.

Vessel Documentation Query
Old 26-07-2012, 10:20   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
This might be the boat . . . or not.

Vessel Documentation Query
According to the newspaper articles, that's the correct last name. I notice that the documentation is current, and am surprised that a boat can be documented with so little information.
Old 26-07-2012, 10:26   #232
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sailinman--bergavoy--this forum knows what i did as they aid attention.
some folks need action, which is what this man needs. if he is sent too much dough he loses his income.
Old 26-07-2012, 10:44   #233

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Here are some photos of the boat as of an hour ago. Can someone identify her? For what it's worth, I called out, very loudly three times to the boat from about thirty feet away after a beach goer told me that he was aboard. There was no response. Not even the dog. He hasn't tried to contact me as yet.

I do believe, as has been posted already, It's a Coronado.

1976 Coronado Coronado 45 sailboat for sale in California

Fin Keel, Skeg Rudder.
Old 26-07-2012, 10:48   #234

Boat: Nor Sea 27'

Yep, I believe CPA is correct.

I found this.

Dimensions
LOA: 45 ft 3 in
Beam: 12 ft 4 in
LWL: 34 ft 5 in
Maximum Draft: 4 ft 11 in
Displacement: 25000 lbs
Ballast: 12300 lbs
Headroom: 6 ft 8 in

That draft seems more likely than the reported seven feet.
Old 26-07-2012, 10:56   #235
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

cheap easyway out is to tether a small powerboat to her at high tide and use the propwash to blow a hole under her and keep blowing sand and pulling.slow going but unless you hit hard bottom it works.
Old 26-07-2012, 10:57   #236

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I'm actually finding 4'11", 4.30", and 7'3", all from different sources. I can only assume there are shoal and deep versions.
Old 26-07-2012, 11:43   #237

Boat: Pearson 281

Thanks very much and good on ya Knothead for getting involved and for the reports... it looks like a pretty difficult situation for so many reasons and your actions represent what is best in us. Best wishes for a posative outcome... for everyone concerned
There is an older guy on our docks who is not a sailor and is living aboard a filthy beat-up Columbia 28 w/o even social security (can't get it if you haven't paid in and he never had a "regular" job) We all help him out with bottles, cans, food odd jobs around the marina... even the office has him sweep the parking lot once'n'awhile. I suppose we ought to just let him starve or chase his worthles ass outta here to sleep on the streets but he is a good guy and we are decent people who are willing to look after "the least among us". Now the tweakers two boats down... that's another story.
Old 26-07-2012, 12:27   #238

I am just speculating here but I have meet my fair share of Capt'n Jays in my life, I would bet that Capt'n Jay is or will recieve some financal gain from this. I would bet that Knothead will not be called to rescue his boat. I would bet that until someone with chainsaws come out to cut up his boat, that Jay is not all that worried about this situation. In fact I would bet he has quite enjoyed the attention and living this close to a bathroom and people to hang with is better than anything he has had in recent history. It has been stated, that Capt'n Jay has and still is a nussance in this comunity. What makes anyone think that he will not continue his same wreckless behavior after he has been rescued?
Old 26-07-2012, 12:58   #239

Furthermore, if Capt'n Jay really wanted to be rescued don't you think he would be preparing his boat for rescue? I believe he has been beached for several weeks, but still has junk all over and in the boat. wouldn't a man, even a horder be removing any and everything from it to make it as light as possible? Just my 2 cents.
Old 26-07-2012, 12:59   #240
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I am just speculating here but I have meet my fair share of Capt'n Jays in my life, I would bet that Capt'n Jay is or will recieve some financal gain from this. I would bet that Knothead will not be called to rescue his boat. I would bet that until someone with chainsaws come out to cut up his boat, that Jay is not all that worried about this situation. In fact I would bet he has quite enjoyed the attention and living this close to a bathroom and people to hang with is better than anything he has had in recent history. It has been stated, that Capt'n Jay has and still is a nussance in this comunity. What makes anyone think that he will not continue his same wreckless behavior after he has been rescued?
i would agree with most of your 'bets' except I doubt the boat will meet the chainsaw... which will enable him to continue on...I have seen that before, and even currently as some poster still carries on like business as usual after their 'hardship'...

they profited from that hardship just like I 'bet' cap'n Jay will profit from this one...
Closed Thread

Tags
yacht